Any current/former teachers out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Valor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current or former teachers out there?

I've been teaching for a little over a year now. This year will be my last. I worked in pharmacy 6 months before graduating University and realized after I started teaching that I was happier working there than I was working at school. Saving up some money this year then going back to school to finish up some pre-reqs and get into pharm school.

Will teaching experience look good on my application, or will my experience working at a pharmacy be more important than my teaching experience when I'm applying to pharm school?

Anyways I'd love to hear some stories from current/former teachers about why you decided on pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I taught for 6 yrs. I always knew I wanted to become a pharmacist, I just needed to work and earn money to support finishing up pre-requisites.

Teaching gave you some great assets that can parallel into the pharmacy profession. Focus on the skills that you learned as a teacher, especially communication skills.

If you know you want to do this, do it! Don't waste anymore time with teaching. I wish I had focused and stayed on track with my pre-req's because I could have been done by now. But, you never know. Working allowed me to gain some professionalism that will transfer nicely.

Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see another teacher on the forum! I've been teaching English for over a year now. I plan on teaching till the end of this school year just so I can save up enough money to move onto pharmacy without being too poor. I'm only 23 right now, turning 24 in a few months, so if things work out as planned I should be out of Pharmacy school by 30!

I taught eight grade science. I took a break to start a family and always planned to return. When my daughter turned three, I looked into going back to teaching and my gut said no. Partly, it was the money. I changed states and would have had to take at least a $10,000 pay cut with yearly raises that were half as much. Partly it was the working conditions. I didn't get a lot of support in my old state and figured my new state would have even less support for education with even larger class sizes as a special bonus. Once I decided to get out, I was looking for something that I thought would be a good fit for my skills and interests and decided on pharmacy.

Even though teaching didn't work out, I thought the experience was invaluable. I thought my student teaching was so emotionally draining that pharmacy school is a piece of cake by comparison. The stress levels don't even compare but I haven't been in school that long so maybe that will change.

To answer your first question, I talked a lot about teaching in my interview and now I'm in pharmacy school so I suppose it helped. Your tech experience will help too. Just think of the skills that you picked up from each position and talk about that.

I'm currently teaching 4th grade. It's my first and last year. I was taking pre-req's before I started teaching and will continue again in January. I was a tech for about a year before I switched to teaching full time and can't wait to get back in there and finish those pre-req's!

I agree with one of the posts below that talked about the parallels between teaching and being a Pharmacist. I do think that the subject you teach could also make you a stronger applicant. Overall though, I think that most Pharmacy Schools feel as though teaching is an excellent platform for taking that next step into becoming a Pharmacist. I was told on more than one occasion by current Pharmacy Students that "I would get in because ____ Pharmacy School loves teachers". I taught chemistry by the way and I feel extremely fortunate to be a 3P at my top choice:).

I've always liked science and medicine, but always saw med school as a huge deal because of the time, the cost, etc... Anyway I finally decided to make the switch. I wonder if my BS in teaching will help my low stats. Right now I have a cumm pharmcas GPA of 3.02 and PCAT 69. I applied this year after completing most of my prereqs (with a slightly higher scie gpa) and to my surprise I was actually granted 2 interviews, one of which I already attended (NSU). Has anyone been accepted with these stats, or knows people that have? Does the pharm un-related BS in teaching make a difference to adcoms? :confused::scared::xf:

Last edited: