Any differences in Navy vs. Air Force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know likelihood of deployment per thedifferent services. Heard army is less because longer deployment and more people.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to select one branch over the other because you don't want to deploy as long, you shouldn't be joining the military in the first place.

If you want to select one branch over the other because you don't want to deploy as long, you shouldn't be joining the military in the first place.

Agreed. I spent way more time at sea when we were 'at home' and doing work-ups than when we were deployed on our 6 month cruise. Six weeks out, then a week in, then 4 weeks out, a week or two in, 8 weeks out. The only time you were guaranteed to be in port was when your ship is in the shipyards and I'd take being out to sea over being the yards any day.

Members don't see this ad :)

Quoted for truth... Entering the military with anything less than complete flexibility is a bad idea. If you cannot go with the flow, be happy anywhere, or be comfortable moving - the military is simply not for you.

That said - what deployment type are you referring to? If you mean deployment to war - the Air Force would be your least deploying to war zone service. If you mean sea deployments, the Army has the least amount of sea time. If you mean anytime you are sent away from your home, you shouldn't even be considering the question.

picking the service least likely to deploy is like joining the Reserves for the college money:laugh:

I have to imagine though (no experience as a pharmacist in the military) that anywhere you get deployed to as a pharmacist is gonna be waaaaay better than 90% of everyone else deployed...I'd imagine you will always be on a heavily fortified base. The MOST dangerous thing you'll probably do if u were deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan...would be the convoy ride to the base...and then the ride from it a few months later.

Which leads me to wonder...what are the chances of specifically, a pharmcist, going to Iraq or Afghanistan? I know there aren't many there, but given the relatively small number of pharmacists in the military...does it make it more likely? 1/5? 4/5?

That said - what deployment type are you referring to? If you mean deployment to war - the Air Force would be your least deploying to war zone service. If you mean sea deployments, the Army has the least amount of sea time. If you mean anytime you are sent away from your home, you shouldn't even be considering the question.

Actually...your chances of deploying in the AF are much higher than the Army currently. The Army and the AF serve around the same amount of FOB's (forward operating base) in theater but the AF has a 6 month rotation versus the Army's 12 month rotation. Thus, more pharmacists are needed to staff the Air Force units making your probability of deploying much higher than an Army pharmacist.

picking the service least likely to deploy is like joining the Reserves for the college money:laugh:

I have to imagine though (no experience as a pharmacist in the military) that anywhere you get deployed to as a pharmacist is gonna be waaaaay better than 90% of everyone else deployed...I'd imagine you will always be on a heavily fortified base. The MOST dangerous thing you'll probably do if u were deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan...would be the convoy ride to the base...and then the ride from it a few months later.

Which leads me to wonder...what are the chances of specifically, a pharmcist, going to Iraq or Afghanistan? I know there aren't many there, but given the relatively small number of pharmacists in the military...does it make it more likely? 1/5? 4/5?

I can tell you we have over 30 pharmacists in theater from all services.

Actually...your chances of deploying in the AF are much higher than the Army currently. The Army and the AF serve around the same amount of FOB's (forward operating base) in theater but the AF has a 6 month rotation versus the Army's 12 month rotation. Thus, more pharmacists are needed to staff the Air Force units making your probability of deploying much higher than an Army pharmacist.

I had no idea...

Which service do you get the higher probability of base choice? I am very curious of this.

To OP: To me, AF looks like a better deal when you are still in school, because they will pay tuition and they do not play up the pay off the loans aspect. Army is probably the best deal for someone out of school already, in my opinion.

From what I've heard each branch has their own set of BS to work through as well as their own benefits. Ultimately, I am applying for one over the other because of base locations (chances are better that you'll get a base in the area you want when there are actually bases there.)

Also, from what I've heard, residencies are tougher to get in the armed forces than in the civilian world. However, I would do a residency for the years of experience, and if I'm going to be spending 5+ years in the AF I don't know whether I'd need it or not...but that's a topic for another thread.

Question for those in the military, is there any body armor out there that is good enough to prevent damage from .50 caliber weapons and high explosives?

.50 cal will cut you in half with or w/o armor

What about Marine Corps PT requirements? Would you have to abide by them or the Navy's?

(For those that don't know, the Marines have the toughest PT requirements of all the military branches)

It's not that bad

Which service do you get the higher probability of base choice? I am very curious of this.

Base choice :laugh:

Is there special medical waivers for pharmacists or other medical professionals applying for the army? im toying with the idea of joining. i like the idea of my loans being repaid in 4 years. my main hang up is the fact that i honestly dont think i can pass the physical exam. im not fat or anything i just have a few injuries from an old accident. my recruiter says just lie about my medical history and once i get in then its not a pre-existing condition anymore and they wont be able to kick me out. but i have a few problems lying to get in. and you cant always trust what the recruiter says. anyways i have a few wammies on my medical history that are supposedly automatic disqualifications. ie, bad back, bad knees, kidney problems, etc... can i get waivers for these? or do i have no chance in hell to get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there special medical waivers for pharmacists or other medical professionals applying for the army? im toying with the idea of joining. i like the idea of my loans being repaid in 4 years. my main hang up is the fact that i honestly dont think i can pass the physical exam. im not fat or anything i just have a few injuries from an old accident. my recruiter says just lie about my medical history and once i get in then its not a pre-existing condition anymore and they wont be able to kick me out. but i have a few problems lying to get in. and you cant always trust what the recruiter says. anyways i have a few wammies on my medical history that are supposedly automatic disqualifications. ie, bad back, bad knees, kidney problems, etc... can i get waivers for these? or do i have no chance in hell to get in?

Well that is a load of horse****. Lie about a medical condition and then they can't kick you out? WRONG. First of all, you are potentially putting others lives in danger by having some sort of injury and not disclosing it. Not only that but you are also putting yourself up for possible future injuries that are worse, if not permanent. Lastly, if you lie about something like that and they find out you lied - FRAUDULENT ENLISTMENT, or the officer equivalent.

Yes you can get waivers. Just be up front about it. It also helps if you let the pharmacy consultant know of your issues.

Yes you can get waivers. Just be up front about it. It also helps if you let the pharmacy consultant know of your issues.

hmmm.... i think thats my main problem is that the recruiter im talking to isnt a medical recruiter. he says he can recruit medical officers but hes not a dedicated one. hes just a recruiter i met at the local fair. nice guy and all but seems kinda shady? my wife says hes like a used car salesman.... little bit of truth mixed in with a whole bunch of lies. anyways how due i get a hold of a specialized medical recruiter out in the boon docks? im like 3 hours from any major city. its kinda hard to get a straight answer from anybody that really knows around here. sorry for so many questions but one more here. Is it possible to get the army physical before you promise your life away or only after? Im just worried what would happen if i signed up but they kicked me out if medical waivers weren't granted.

hmmm.... i think thats my main problem is that the recruiter im talking to isnt a medical recruiter. he says he can recruit medical officers but hes not a dedicated one. hes just a recruiter i met at the local fair. nice guy and all but seems kinda shady? my wife says hes like a used car salesman.... little bit of truth mixed in with a whole bunch of lies. anyways how due i get a hold of a specialized medical recruiter out in the boon docks? im like 3 hours from any major city. its kinda hard to get a straight answer from anybody that really knows around here. sorry for so many questions but one more here. Is it possible to get the army physical before you promise your life away or only after? Im just worried what would happen if i signed up but they kicked me out if medical waivers weren't granted.

Check your pm box...

How many Army pharmacists are assigned to a deployed combat support hospital (CSH)? Are Army pharmacists assigned to forward support battalions?

Who does the assignments for the junior pharmacists? Does anyone know how dual assignments works for a junior pharmacist married to a non medical active duty officer?

Any direction or help would be appreciated before I chat with the medical recruiter. Thanks.

How many Army pharmacists are assigned to a deployed combat support hospital (CSH)? Are Army pharmacists assigned to forward support battalions?

Who does the assignments for the junior pharmacists? Does anyone know how dual assignments works for a junior pharmacist married to a non medical active duty officer?

Any direction or help would be appreciated before I chat with the medical recruiter. Thanks.

Yeah, what's the chance of being sent to a combat zone. I heard that most pharmacists in the military are fradulently used techs, to bring costs down. There aren't many positions, period.

Are they more likely to send pharmacist just hired on (within first 4 years) or pharmacist with more years of experience to the middle east areas, or dangerous areas where my family would not be with me

....also, anyone see a problem with the logic...join navy for 3/4 years, get some loans paid etc, get a chance to work/lead in a large medical institution...with the goal of getting out with great experience and military service making you very marketable to get a good hospital job in a good location. Would a year of residency still be more marketable?

Yes there are waivers. It can be a long process, but just be persistent. Your best bet it to find your local healthcare recruiter.

Are they more likely to send pharmacist just hired on (within first 4 years) or pharmacist with more years of experience to the middle east areas, or dangerous areas where my family would not be with me

If your concerned or unwilling to deploy, the military is not for you. I've been in for about 2 years and I am deployed. I didn't ask for the deployment. Deployment can be rewarding but a hardship on family. You may want to consider the public health service if you don't want to deploy. (and you deploy in the PHS but for civilian events like hurricane katrina)

Also, many people join and get out 3 to 4 years later. There is nothing wrong with doing that or have that intention. Just keep in mind opportunities may go to people that want to make a career out of this.

Can anyone attest to a difference in lifestyles and/or quality of pharmacy resources between the AF and Navy?

I have toured an AF base (and pharmacy), and it was pretty nice. However, I've heard that the Navy is a distant 2nd in comparison (followed by the Army).

Can anyone attest to a difference in lifestyles and/or quality of pharmacy resources between the AF and Navy?

I have toured an AF base (and pharmacy), and it was pretty nice. However, I've heard that the Navy is a distant 2nd in comparison (followed by the Army).
Quality of pharmacy resources? well...they are all the same through out the services. AF bases are prettier but at the end of the day, all hospital services are the same thru out the military. I hope that you have better reasons to join the military....

Caver: If you dont mind me asking, are you a pharmacist over there, or an officer doing other things?

Quality of pharmacy resources? well...they are all the same through out the services. AF bases are prettier but at the end of the day, all hospital services are the same thru out the military. I hope that you have better reasons to join the military....

That's not why I'm applying to join the military. I've already made the decision to serve....however resources and lifestyle are definitely going to factor into my decision of which branch to apply for.

....It seems the Navy is offering better scholarships at the moment though.

One difference I have noticed in talking to both Navy and AF pharmacists is that the AF computer systems are all the same on every base. However, the Navy bases were left to pick their own individual systems, so consequently they run different software at different locations. He said it wasn't that big of a deal, but having a unified system is one advantage of the AF.

According to the pharmacy recruiter I spoke to, pharmacists typically don't attach to a hospital ship until they're about O-4 or so. Those are the main ship you'd be on as a pharmacist in the Navy.

Just thought it was worth pointing out that you wouldn't be assigned to a carrier or anything upon joining. If you deployed, it'd be ground-based.

I was seriously considering the navy, for many reasons, but was under the impression that they dont typically deploy new pharmds on their first assignment in the first 3 years. If this isnt the case, my wife is sort of reluctant. I currently have gone through most of the application material and consider myself a competitive candidate...man lots to think about...lots of advantages but

According to the pharmacy recruiter I spoke to, pharmacists typically don't attach to a hospital ship until they're about O-4 or so. Those are the main ship you'd be on as a pharmacist in the Navy.

Just thought it was worth pointing out that you wouldn't be assigned to a carrier or anything upon joining. If you deployed, it'd be ground-based.

Yeah, my recruiter told me that there was a pharmacist on each (13) aircraft carriers (confirmed not true by actual Navy pharmacists)......

The moral of the story is that the recruiters obviously aren't pharmacists, and don't know all the ins and outs of the job. Do some fact-checking after speaking with them.

SZ251: So what facts did you eventually find out regarding pharmacist and deployment?

SZ251: So what facts did you eventually find out regarding pharmacist and deployment?

Since I'm a student, this not first hand knowledge, but I've talked to a few Navy pharmacists.....

They say your 1st rotation is usually in a larger hospital to let you get acquainted (however, this is not a guarantee, and you will never see that in writing). After that, it's anyones guess where you could get deployed to....small setting with 1 pharmacist, overseas, etc. As someone mentioned.....it's the needs of the Navy. I was originally told that you wouldn't be stationed on a hospital ship until later in your career, but I'm not so sure that's true.

For everyone who was wondering about getting deployed to "combat zones".....yes, there is a possibility, especially (but not limited to) if you are deployed with a Marine unit.

Since there are very few Navy pharmacists, your chances of getting deployed sooner or later are relatively high. I would recommend AF for those who want minimal risk. But like Caverject said, if you are not willing to deploy.....the military is not for you.

taterbean....I would talk to your recruiter more about what your chances are for getting deployed......please let us all know if you hear anything different.

....man, I'm starting to sound like a recruiter, haha.

I have talked to a few Navy pharmacists thus far and was told essentially there was little to no chance of deployment in your first "assignment" as a new grad. It just seems like the feeling from this thread is this is not the case...dunno, very stressful decision

I have talked to a few Navy pharmacists thus far and was told essentially there was little to no chance of deployment in your first "assignment" as a new grad. It just seems like the feeling from this thread is this is not the case...dunno, very stressful decision

Whether you are more or less likely to be deployed during your first assignment seems debatable. The bottom line is that you COULD be deployed. If you cannot handle that, I would not recommend joining any branch of the military.

Last edited:
Caver: If you dont mind me asking, are you a pharmacist over there, or an officer doing other things?
I'm working as a pharmacist. Typically pharmacists that get deployed for other roles are put in major leadership roles and usually they are much higher ranking than captains. (usually O-5 and above)

That's not why I'm applying to join the military. I've already made the decision to serve....however resources and lifestyle are definitely going to factor into my decision of which branch to apply for.

....It seems the Navy is offering better scholarships at the moment though.

One difference I have noticed in talking to both Navy and AF pharmacists is that the AF computer systems are all the same on every base. However, the Navy bases were left to pick their own individual systems, so consequently they run different software at different locations. He said it wasn't that big of a deal, but having a unified system is one advantage of the AF.

Glad to hear you made the decision. I know it's not an easy one. I am totally with you finding what works best for you. For me, it was the loan reimbursement. People that are looking for good locations join the Navy. (think about it- they are usually on the beach somewhere...including Connecticut!) The AF usually have much nicer base facilities (like the gym, running track, on post housing etc) but their hospitals are not any better than Army or Navy facilities I have seen. Granted, I haven't seen them all and probably never will.

One thing about the software...all pharmacies in the military use one software program called CHCS. No matter what branch you join, you will use CHCS. What you are talking about is a program that the physicians nurses and clinical folk use for electronic medical records as well as prescribing. I know the Army and Air Force use ALTHA and some navy sites use it as well but not all.

I was seriously considering the navy, for many reasons, but was under the impression that they dont typically deploy new pharmds on their first assignment in the first 3 years. If this isnt the case, my wife is sort of reluctant. I currently have gone through most of the application material and consider myself a competitive candidate...man lots to think about...lots of advantages but
It all depends on the needs of the Navy. I can tell you right now there are some pharmacists from the navy that are O-3's (Lieutenants) and deployed.

It all depends on the needs of the Navy. I can tell you right now there are some pharmacists from the navy that are O-3's (Lieutenants) and deployed.

Pharmacists go through OIS right? What rank are they usually brought into the Navy with? I know some chaplains come in at O-2 while a surgeon might be an O-5.

Since there are very few Navy pharmacists, your chances of getting deployed sooner or later are relatively high. I would recommend AF for those who want minimal risk. But like Caverject said, if you are not willing to deploy.....the military is not for you.

Just to clarify- your chances of being deployed in the Air Force are much higher than the army or the navy. Why? Because the AF deployed for 4-6 months. They go thru their roster much faster than the other two services. Plus your chances of deploying more than once are higher. The Navy does 6 to 9 month deployments but only have a few deployment sites. The AF have many more deployment sites than the Navy. Typically in the Army, once you deploy for a year, you usually wont get tasked for another tour unless you volunteer or your specialty is needed. Granted, there are always exceptions to the rules.

Pharmacists go through OIS right? What rank are they usually brought into the Navy with? I know some chaplains come in at O-2 while a surgeon might be an O-5.
Yes, all incoming officers will go thru a basic training course when entering the military. I believe the Navy calls is ODS. Its an easy course and probably the most fun you will have in the military. Its like going to summer camp instead of "boot camp".

All pharmacists that go in active duty will go in as an O-3. The exception is some people joining the reserves out of school come in as an O-2.

you mentioned AF has many more deployment sites than Navy. Anyone have information on the particular Navy deployment sites, or information on being more or less likely to be sent to certain ones (if that information even exists...)

Yes, all incoming officers will go thru a basic training course when entering the military. I believe the Navy calls is ODS. Its an easy course and probably the most fun you will have in the military. Its like going to summer camp instead of "boot camp".

What Caver is saying here aligns with what I've been hearing about ODS. Seems like you do PT most mornings at 0500, but it's not nearly at the intensity levels of what you normally think of when you think of basic training. The rest of the day is then spent learning how to be an officer in the Navy. It's only 5 weeks long and is all the "basic" you'll ever get.

Google "officer development school" and there is a thread on facebook (about 3 results down) started by healthcare people that seems to have solid info.

What Caver is saying here aligns with what I've been hearing about ODS. Seems like you do PT most mornings at 0500, but it's not nearly at the intensity levels of what you normally think of when you think of basic training. The rest of the day is then spent learning how to be an officer in the Navy. It's only 5 weeks long and is all the "basic" you'll ever get.

Google "officer development school" and there is a thread on facebook (about 3 results down) started by healthcare people that seems to have solid info.

Friend of a friend went through one of these "schools", he said it was pretty much the coolest thing ever. Kind of makes me want to join the military. But do they do nuclear? Is there any way to get a track like that locked in when you sign up, if you're coming with industry experience? I'm thinking probably not because they may need you wherever they need you.

Friend of a friend went through one of these "schools", he said it was pretty much the coolest thing ever. Kind of makes me want to join the military. But do they do nuclear? Is there any way to get a track like that locked in when you sign up, if you're coming with industry experience? I'm thinking probably not because they may need you wherever they need you.
The Army has nuclear pharmacists...I have no idea if the Navy or AF have them. Also, the public health service, another "branch" of the military has nuclear pharmacists as well.

If anyone here is a former military pharmacist, can you comment on how competitive of an applicant, for a hospital position, someone who spent 3 years as a military pharmacist is compared to someone who has 3 years general hospital experience....essentially is the military experience more highly valued speaking in CV terms

I dont want to hijack the thread or anything like that, but I am applying for the AF and was curious about something. According to my recruiter, pharmacists are usually in CONUS for the first 3 years, are they still deployable during that time?
I wouldnt mind it of course, but just curious.

Also interested in seeing how people perceive military service in terms of CVs, etc these days like the question above.