Any disadvantage to re-applying with same MCAT - but this time earlier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As per my earlier post, I graduated last year (Biology major) with an overall GPA of 3.51 and a science GPA of 3.33. Unfortunately, my MCAT is 24 (7VR, 9PS, 8BS). But I do have great ECs, LORs, and plenty of research experience. Applied to 18 schools last year, albeit fairly late (August). Even so, I interviewed with 3 schools. Got rejected from 2 and am still waitlisted with the 3rd.

Took this past year off to volunteer in Alaska with AIDS patients. Am returning home in August and plan to study like crazy and take the MCAT again when I feel I'm ready, since this seems to be my weakest point. Plan to reapply for 2009 entering year with new MCAT score.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:
Since I'm losing yet another year to studying and retaking the MCAT anyway, should I go ahead and also try to reapply again now, but this time right on June 1, and see where my current stats might get me? (I figure I have nothing to lose, or do I???) Is there any disadvantage to doing so? Do schools frown on people applying too many times in case I don't make it again and want to reapply a 3rd time with my new MCAT score next year? Will applying on day 1 really make a difference? In other words, will doing so with my current weak MCAT maybe get me further this time than applying late last year with the same score? :confused: :confused: :confused: HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:
Since I'm losing yet another year to studying and retaking the MCAT anyway, should I go ahead and also try to reapply again now, but this time right on June 1, and see where my current stats might get me?

Focus on getting your MCAT score up and applying next season to have a realistic chance of admission, or else consider applying Caribbean, or reconsidering about applying DO.

Focus on getting your MCAT score up and applying next season to have a realistic chance of admission, or else consider applying Caribbean, or reconsidering about applying DO.

I definitely plan to do that, but do I honestly have anything to lose by also applying again this year on day 1 with current score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course, I understand that. But I have money saved and if it will perhaps give me a chance to get in 1 year earlier, it will be worth it. I just don't know if schools will look down on my multiple applications should I have to try again the following year. (Or will they see it as a positive thing: that I'm undeterred and committed to the profession of medicine???)

Your MCAT is no good for MD. Period. Check an MSAR - the statistics for applicants with a 24 MCAT are quite sobering...but as to your question (disadvantage?) I have no idea if med schools care about multi year applicants (3+ times) or not - my guess is that they don't really keep track of it...

Of course, I understand that. But I have money saved and if it will perhaps give me a chance to get in 1 year earlier, it will be worth it. I just don't know if schools will look down on my multiple applications should I have to try again the following year. (Or will they see it as a positive thing: that I'm undeterred and committed to the profession of medicine???)

my 2 cents: i think what basically determines if you should apply for fall o8 is if you can find something to change/upgrade in your application. i think you said that you did volunteer work in alaska with aids patients...that would look really good if you could put that in your ps somehow!!! and also it might give you an advantage to apply early, but as long as you can get everything into to amcas by early june(app+letters of rec+transcripts) then when you get the secondaries fill them out asap!!! as for looking bad, from my advisor...ive heard that more than 3xs is frowned upon. also, if u are a URM id definitely take a shot and apply for fall 08!!! good luck

Anyone know for sure how schools feel about multiple submissions?

Anyone know for sure how schools feel about multiple submissions?
i was told by an adcom person (who i trust) at a med school that you do not want to submit a third application unless you have something that drastically changed between your second and third application

HERE'S MY QUESTION:
Since I'm losing yet another year to studying and retaking the MCAT anyway, should I go ahead and also try to reapply again now, but this time right on June 1, and see where my current stats might get me? (I figure I have nothing to lose, or do I???) Is there any disadvantage to doing so? Do schools frown on people applying too many times in case I don't make it again and want to reapply a 3rd time with my new MCAT score next year? Will applying on day 1 really make a difference? In other words, will doing so with my current weak MCAT maybe get me further this time than applying late last year with the same score? :confused: :confused: :confused: HELP!!!

your MCAT is keeping you out of med school. your score is low...unless you are applying to DO schools, you won't get further this time by applying early with same score.

If you have money to burn, why not give it a whirl. Honestly though, I think you wouldnt even have a decent shot to get in and would be wasting money.

I had to apply 3 times and the most important lesson I learned is to make sure your application is significantly stronger, otherwise it is a waste of time and money. Talk to admissions officers in different schools and find out what areas they have a concern with.

I spoke to several admissions officers and they were very helpful in letting me know what were the most important areas for me to work on.

I spoke to several admissions officers and they were very helpful in letting me know what were the most important areas for me to work on.

I tried calling the admissions officer at my top-choice school and the secretary wouldn't even put me through. I was told to e-mail my question, and then I got a generic response. Is that common? Is there any other way I can talk to this person to find out exactly what my chances are at reapplying?