Any DOs match into an IM academic program (university based, not just affiliated) with only COMLEX scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bionerd89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was just curious if anyone has matched into academic IM programs with just COMLEX scores. I already took both but was just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This happens every year. Mostly in DO friendly areas like the Midwest.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It would be nice to see some stats on it. I know a lot of places do say USMLE OR COMLEX but wondering if they are just saying that. I always wondered if academic PDs can interpret COMLEX scores.

Hi I was just curious if anyone has matched into academic IM programs with just COMLEX scores. I already took both but was just curious.
Yes. I matched to a midwest university program with comlex scores only.
It would be nice to see some stats on it. I know a lot of places do say USMLE OR COMLEX but wondering if they are just saying that. I always wondered if academic PDs can interpret COMLEX scores.
A good amount of programs CAN interpret a comlex score and the AOA has pushed hard to provide tools to PDs to utilize these and in the near future, integrate these into the NRMP. However, just because they CAN interpret them does not mean they prefer it and most programs will be pretty clear on their websites. Another way to assess is to utilize the FRIEDA tool to determine percentage of DO's. The larger the percent of the class, the more likely there are a few in there that did not take USMLE.

I personally know a DO at Dartmouth with comlex only. He scored 90+%ile on both Levels though

Yep, if you only take comlex you have to prove that you "would have done well on step" by destroying those exams which ridiculous. Honestly would've been easier to just do "decently good" at comlex and usmle and get more interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, if you only take comlex you have to prove that you "would have done well on step" by destroying those exams which ridiculous. Honestly would've been easier to just do "decently good" at comlex and usmle and get more interviews.
Yea and this assuming PD's will know what a great COMLEX score is...

Yea and this assuming PD's will know what a great COMLEX score is...
There are a lot of behind the scenes resource being provided to PDs. Especially now that there are DO's within the ACGME committees. Probably won't change anything outside of PD's who may consider it if they needed to do that (aka remove NRMP filter that excludes applicants without step scores) however with the increase in applications per spot I doubt that will happen.

I did an ACGME internal medicine residency in a university hospital. I took both exams but there were DOs who only took the COMLEX in my program.
Not all university IM programs are the same - you won't have a chance at some of the high powered programs no matter how good your scores are but you can definitely match in others and get great training.

Yes. I matched to a midwest university program with comlex scores only.

A good amount of programs CAN interpret a comlex score and the AOA has pushed hard to provide tools to PDs to utilize these and in the near future, integrate these into the NRMP. However, just because they CAN interpret them does not mean they prefer it and most programs will be pretty clear on their websites. Another way to assess is to utilize the FRIEDA tool to determine percentage of DO's. The larger the percent of the class, the more likely there are a few in there that did not take USMLE.
Or you see their minimum comlex on residency explorer is 600 but their resident’s average comlex score range is 510-560. Then you know they only care about step

Or you see their minimum comlex on residency explorer is 600 but their resident’s average comlex score range is 510-560. Then you know they only care about step
Yes especially if they had step cutoffs but it still wasn't a hard "don't apply here". The only time that was the case was if FREIDA stated "usmle required" OR/AND it was stated on their IIM program website explicitly.

Yes especially if they had step cutoffs but it still wasn't a hard "don't apply here". The only time that was the case was if FREIDA stated "usmle required" OR/AND it was stated on their IIM program website explicitly.
Would it be ok to email the program about if they have changed their COMLEX policy as stated on the website/FREIDA? Usually program don't update their website until during the application cycle.

Would it be ok to email the program about if they have changed their COMLEX policy as stated on the website/FREIDA? Usually program don't update their website until during the application cycle.
It's worth it if it's not clear and you are wanting to apply there.

Why wouldn't you take USMLE? It is far better than not taking...just IMO

Really depends on the program but many low tier academic places will accept comlex as well as some of the mid tiers. top tiers forget it lol

Really depends on the program but many low tier academic places will accept comlex as well as some of the mid tiers. top tiers forget it lol
I might have asked this before, but is there a list of programs with tiers and/or if they accept COMLEX or not? Wondering if there's any existing data out there