Any folks here who have served as medical officers in the reserves? How is the pay in comparison to being a civilian physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beneath the marquee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also what was your experience like?
- What branch/specialty are you in?
- Were you active duty prior?
- What was a typical drill weekend like?
- Were you ever promoted in the reserves?
- How many times did you get to deploy throughout your career?

Plus anything else that comes to mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reserves is part time, 2-3 days per month. The pay doesn’t compare to civilian pay. You can find reserve pay charts online to see what drill pay would be based on time in service and grade.

I can work for 1 hour on Saturday and do 2 h&ps and make as much money as a drill weekend. Tricare does have some good benefits though.

Promotions for physicians are basically automatic with a certain time period of service. If you come in as a CPT then usually takes about 6 years for MAJ (correct me if I am off).

Deployments depend on specialty that you are and what’s going on in the world. Some people never deploy throughout a 20 year career. Others do multiple deployments. If you are NSGY or ortho expect to deploy for missions more often than some others as a generality. Otherwise you can volunteer for missions as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Also what was your experience like? Loved It.
- What branch/specialty are you in? Air National Guard
- Were you active duty prior? No
- What was a typical drill weekend like? Busy!!! --- We did 3 days of work in 2 days.
- Were you ever promoted in the reserves? Yes --- I left as a LTC.
- How many times did you get to deploy throughout your career? 2 times

Plus anything else that comes to mind. Private pratice and Guard/Reserves do not mix well. The 2 weeks of training each year are hard on your wallet. ------ If money is your primary motivator DO NOT do it. If money is your secondary motiator DO NOT do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reserve pay is merely prorated active duty pay.

So, you get a small percentage of a crappy check. ;)

No one joins the reserves for the monthly check.

Reserve pay is merely prorated active duty pay.

So, you get a small percentage of a crappy check. ;)

No one joins the reserves for the monthly check.
Would you say that being in the reserves was a net loss or net gain for income? Also by how much for your specialty?

The military is always a net financial loss. There are plenty of moonlighting jobs with less strings attached if you just want a side hustle.

Reactions: 1 users
Massive, massive net loss of reserve pay.
Reserves pays me roughly 25% during the two weeks of what I make privately.
Not to mention it is hard to work as an independent contractor for the 2 week commitments.

Think very carefully before signing that commitment.

Depends how you look at it. The monthly drill pay is extra money. Comparing to what a physician makes it is a lot less and could do locums and make much more

The 2 week a year training can also be seen as extra money. I used to work at a place that gave me 30 days paid military leave per year. So I still got salary plus military pay. Most places you will have to use your vacation time and your revenue or RVUs will take a big hit. That’s the normal. Once you start making physician pay you will just wish you can get out of annual training to keep your income up and save your vacation days.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends how you look at it. The monthly drill pay is extra money. Comparing to what a physician makes it is a lot less and could do locums and make much more

The 2 week a year training can also be seen as extra money. I used to work at a place that gave me 30 days paid military leave per year. So I still got salary plus military pay. Most places you will have to use your vacation time and your revenue or RVUs will take a big hit. That’s the normal. Once you start making physician pay you will just wish you can get out of annual training to keep your income up and save your vacation days.
I see! Yeah though I'm definitely going to keep in mind what the other docs on here have been saying.. if I do end up practicing in the reserves, my main motivation will be pretty in sync with what their advertising: an opportunity for part-time service while still holding a civilian job.