Any help on building the school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darksurg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the island of Puerto Rico and is my understanding that I qualify as an URM in the admission process.

Stats:

3.6 gpa
3.5 sgpa
36 MCAT (BS13/VR10/PS13)

Basic Extracurriculars:

Volunteering (500>x>1000 hours)
Research (no pubs right now but in the process of one)
Clinical volunteering (150>x>250 hours)
Shadowing (50>x>100 hours)

There are some unique extracurriculars but I prefer to keep them private.

I was trying to build a list of schools based on strong Hispanic communities and obviously my stats along with extracurriculars.

School list :

Albert Einstein NY and Mount Sinai (would love to go here since I have puertorican family all over the Harlem/Bronx area)
Penn State (family in PA)
UCONN (great friends here)
University of California: San Diego
University of California : Los Angeles
University of Southern California (Keck)
University of Rochester
UMIAMI
Baylor (dream school and sounds like reach)

Basically I would like to know if there are any more schools worth applying or if I should delete some schools from the list.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are interested in any of those schools, then go ahead. However, I want you to be very aware that you are competitive for every top medical school in America. Including Harvard and all the way down. And depending on how you present yourself/ your demonstrated commitment to the hispanic community and how much the schools want you, you should expect significant merit/need-based aid from any of those schools.

What I have learned in this process this past cycle is that while numbers are definitely necessary, your essays and the way you present your application/who you are makes all the difference. Put a lot of effort in your application and you should definitely be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
No school I would eliminate based on stats but UMIAMI almost exclusively Cubans and Venezuela(did undergrad there) so if you looking for Hispanic community in Puerto Ricans then UMIAMI may actually not be high there but that's just my two cents UMIAMI is a good school in general.