Any Hope - a late derm switch:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AAAA2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I am a 3rd year medical student who is in a bit of a bind. I had been pretty set into going into Anesthesia, but after doing some electives decided it really wasn't for me (I found the procedural aspect awesome but the sitting around half the day not so much).

To make a long story short I just finished up a 2 week elective in Derm and loved it. I really can't see myself doing anything else, but I don't know if it would even be possible for me to match into Derm at this point. I will have 2 free months between now and September that I could schedule for Derm electives, but I doubt I would be able to have any research/ publications by the time interviews go out. My step 1 is okay but not great for Derm (250), I am in the top 20% of my class but I doubt AOA.

Is there anyone else who decided late on Derm that could offer any advice? Or am I realistically looking at a pipe dream at this point?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

It's not too late! Your score would get you pass most filters. Do you have a home department? Try to schedule a meeting with derm faculty ASAP, see if there is any research project you could get involved, and get a mentor who could give you honest opinion about your resume. Ask your mentor if taking a year off would be of high yield for you. If you have had publications and are from a top tier school, you have a good chance. Otherwise taking a year off would be more realistic. This is still early if you would like to look at that option now. If you would like to go ahead and match this cycle, try to set up aways now (getting the application form/background checks/immunizations etc could take a while). Try to pick programs that have traditionally taken students from your school and are of a reasonable tier for you (again, ask your mentor).

Hey y'all. I am a 3rd year medical student who is in a bit of a bind. I had been pretty set into going into Anesthesia, but after doing some electives decided it really wasn't for me (I found the procedural aspect awesome but the sitting around half the day not so much).

To make a long story short I just finished up a 2 week elective in Derm and loved it. I really can't see myself doing anything else, but I don't know if it would even be possible for me to match into Derm at this point. I will have 2 free months between now and September that I could schedule for Derm electives, but I doubt I would be able to have any research/ publications by the time interviews go out. My step 1 is okay but not great for Derm (250), I am in the top 20% of my class but I doubt AOA.

Is there anyone else who decided late on Derm that could offer any advice? Or am I realistically looking at a pipe dream at this point?

Thanks a bunch!

I decided on dermatology fairly late in 3rd year as well. Your battle is going to be setting up as many electives (at least 1 home and 1 away is my recommendation) as you can before application time. You'll want to get your hands messy with some derm research as soon as possible too. If you find that scheduling is too tight at your school to accommodate this, you may want to look into a research year in dermatology and then setting up an optimal 4th year schedule to maximize your chances of matching.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both so much for the response! I have started some case studies and will hopefully be doing an away in September!

Reactions: 1 user