Any hope left for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifeohlife

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is my first year as an undergrad at a pretty darn good university.
However, I am doing absolutely terrible. The transition from high school - college hit me hard.
First I failed Gen. Chem I, and I will mostly likely end up with 2 W's in the SAME class (bio) by then end of freshman year. My current GPA is a 2.138.
My other classes are fine (non science) but I'm starting off freshman year with all these red flags!

I am a psychology B.S. major and I am really determined to become a dentist. It has been my dream since
kindergarten to become a pediatric dentist, and I worked my butt of all throughout high school to get into this university. Now that I'm here, nothing seems to be working out for me!

My professors and advisors are making it seem as if this is the end for me. My chem teacher even told me I shouldn't even bother thinking about pursuing this dream if I suck at science. It really hurts me to hear this.

I plan on doing a post-bac program after I graduate to enhance my application and GPA since freshman year really killed it for me.
If I try my very best the next 3 years to bring up my GPA and find a better studying method, as well as doing volunteer/shadowing, is it possible for me to continue to pursue this dream?

Thanks in advance.

**Sorry I posted in the dental thread already, but realized it was the wrong thread to post in.

Members don't see this ad.

I went from a 2.75 oGPA to --> 3.31 oGPA in two years and was accepted to a ton of schools, including my top choice. Buckle up and prepare for the intense studying you're gonna have to do, but you can totally make it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a pre-business major at my first university. Towards the end of my sophomore/beginning of my junior year I decided I wanted to pursue dentistry. I changed majors to biology and realized I couldn't take on the challenge I was faced with. I would go to professor's office hours and receive no help, or be in a line of thirty other students and never even see the professor. I ended up transferring to a large Division II school. I tried to give the biology major a shot here, but when I started taking classes where I'd be looking under 200 microscope slides and having exams on it I knew that wasn't what I was interested in and even though I was highly motivated and interested in dentistry, I did not have a passion for looking at bugs or bacteria under a microscope for 4 months at a time. So I changed back to business. I'm now a finance major with a chemistry minor. I've also taken a fair amount of biology prereqs that most dental schools require (everything except microbiology). I wish I would have done this to begin with. I wouldn't have 9-10 W's and a couple of C's on my transcript if that were the case. If I could give anyone advice, it'd be not to major in biology if it doesn't interest you. Major in something more marketable or that interests you that will allow you to flourish in the select science courses you will take for dental school prereqs while not overloading your schedule with 15-17 credits of straight sciences per semester. This is just my opinion. I'm now finishing my fifth year of undergrad and going into my sixth. It's taken me longer than anticipated, but I'll also be graduating with around 150 credit hours because I switched majors around so late in the process.

Reactions: 1 user
I ended my first year at a 1.4 GPA. I was lazy my second year, but by the end of my 3rd year I was at a 2.6. My cumulative GPA upon graduation is a 2.96 and I will be doing a post-bacc if I am accepted into it.

I started off lower than you, was still not giving full effort during my second year, and was able to almost get to a 3.0 by graduation. Point is that it is definitely not too late for you to bring your GPA up. The Ws and poor performance will have to be explained separately, but you can distance yourself from that by buckling down and making your GPA a priority. You definitely attain a competitive GPA later if you get serious about it now.

Just retake the classes and do good from here on out. You'll be fine!

You should be studying everyday, five hours a day. Are you doing that?