Any hope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedaymed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Its that time of the year where you start calculating your sci gpa, cum gpa, and all that jazz. I just wanted to get some input from you guys on where I stand. Well not really where I stand because Im pretty fffedd right now. Im here for some words of encouragement and wisdom.

I'm a second year starting second sem next january.

My cummulative is 3.43
my science is 3.17

I will be taking ochem 2, bio 2, research etc.

I've gotten B's in gen chem i, ii, bio i (i think, i just took the final), phys i, ii.

I don't even know anymore...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys.

Its that time of the year where you start calculating your sci gpa, cum gpa, and all that jazz. I just wanted to get some input from you guys on where I stand. Well not really where I stand because Im pretty fffedd right now. Im here for some words of encouragement and wisdom.

My cummulative is 3.43
my science is 3.17

I've gotten B's in gen chem i, ii, bio i (i think, i just took the final), phys i, ii.

Your stats are actually eerily similar to mine. I still have 3 more pre recs left just like u and my grades in my science classes are all B's save for my Bio with is a C. Your science GPA is about .04 higher than mine.

It doesnt look good.

It sucks. Being in this position is no fun, knowing that you are smart enough to handle medical school, but because the competition is so high you worry no acceptance will come your way.

Words of encouragement: DO WORK!! If you can get your science GPA into the 3.4 range, you have a shot at MD school as long as your MCAT is high (30+), great letters, research, etc. If you cant get your gpa above 3.4 and or your mcat is not 30+, apply to DO schools. Or not, dont get a degree you dont want.

Final word of advice: dont let anyone on here or at your school tell you that you cant make it because you dont have that 3.7 and 30 mcat. Plenty of people have pulled themselves up by their bootstraps and made it, and you can too, but YOU have to put in the work, no more excuses; if you dont have a 4.0 next semester, what you need to be doing is studying. Get off the phone- stop texting, stop watching youtube videos, stop looking at Facebook when you should be studying. Stop going our with your friends when you need to work on your paper. Look in the mirror tomorrow morning and ask yourself where you wanna be, and put what you see in your personal statement.

If this is your dream, make it reality.

Hey guys.

My cummulative is 3.43
my science is 3.17

since you are only a sophomore, there''s still plenty of time left to raise those numbers. how are your ECs looking?

you can definitely be a doctor, but at this point, you need to be willing to really dedicate your soul to the MCAT and knock it out of the park. don't settle for the golden 30, aim for a 40 so you can hopefully get a 35+.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You are a sophomore so the good news is you have 5 semesters before you can even think about applying.

You aren't out of it for MD and certainly not for DO. MCAT will be big.

Kick some ass, if you can get your sGPA to greater than or equal to a 3.5 that will definitely be a huge improvement.