Any IMG/FMG MD in a postdoc position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndreaBackmann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear colleagues,

I have found this forum truly useful with many answers to really important and specific questions. So... I decided to shoot for this one too - has any IMG/FMG had a postdoc position as MD-only who could share his/her experience? I am having some difficulties in understanding the process and my actual opportunities and how to approach the PIs and the funding possibilities... I have made an extensive research in the google and different other sites, but MD positions seem to be a rarity as everyone requires PhD degree. So I feel a little miserable at this moment already...
P.S. I am not a US citizen and will need a H1B visa for my work in the US.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your ultimate goal here? The research job market in the USA is terrible. Hoping to do research to get a clinical position like a residency is also dicey at best.

I am planning (=hoping) for residency in the US. I have completed USMLE Step1 and Step 2 CK, applied for Step 2 CS. Now I have a little bit stupid situation because I would not be able to apply for the residency this year due to document retention for ECFMG. So, I will not have my Step 2 CS result in a reasonable time to be eligible for the residency match. I was thinking about a pre-residency fellowship, but struggled to a problem as I need to have all 3 steps and medical license to do one (resp. to be able to get H1B eligible for clinical practice of any kind). So what I am left with at this moment is a research (and research H1B visa) which would allow me in (the best imaginable situation that starts to look too complicated...) to gain some experience/LOR and pubs and a reasonable salary to be able to live there. I am ready for a maximum of 2 years gap before residency and postdoc position would be ideal as far as I am concerned.
I have already done an extensive neuroscience research in the Electron Microscopy Lab during my medical studies and have some pubs already and lots of conference papers.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your specialty interest?

Neurosurgery. I have done research in it, lots of volunteering and amazing sub-internship in a decent US Neurosurgery program. And yes, I know how difficult it is, I know how difficult it is for a woman and how low my chances are by definition but I love this field wholeheartedly. We do not have residency positions and any serious research options there in my *small* country and there are many other reasons and just the situation itself now has come to that my only consideration is US. I can not imagine any other place I would want to live and work.

P.S. Thanks for devoting time here, I already read many of your replies on other threads, I believe those were truly profound and useful for many.

Ok my recommendations:

1. Apply for all the positions you can find regardless of their requested qualifications.

2. Use any connections you have to knock on doors. Even just send emails to neurosurgery labs. Opportunities may not be posted.

3. If your account name is your real name: change it. Stay relatively anonymous on SDN. Change your avatar too. Better that people don't look at it and think you might be a nutcase, costing you a possible opportunity.

4. Post in the neurosurgery forum and Uncle Harvey to get a sense of how feasible this whole plan is (especially of you getting a residency position) before you embark on this path.

Ok my recommendations:

1. Apply for all the positions you can find regardless of their requested qualifications.

2. Use any connections you have to knock on doors. Even just send emails to neurosurgery labs. Opportunities may not be posted.

3. If your account name is your real name: change it. Stay relatively anonymous on SDN. Change your avatar too. Better that people don't look at it and think you might be a nutcase, costing you a possible opportunity.

4. Post in the neurosurgery forum and Uncle Harvey to get a sense of how feasible this whole plan is (especially of you getting a residency position) before you embark on this path.

Thanks. This is not my real name, of course.
I have done lots of research and discussions on this already and I am aware of my actual situation regarding residency.
One more question - is it reasonable to send just a CV to the PI if the opportunity is not posted or should I include a research statement or even proposal plus recommendation letters to secure that all this information is seen together? What would be the best way to catch someone's attention on this?

Cover letter as text of the email. Get straight to the point and make it reasonably brief. Quick example:

I am seeking a research assistant or post doctoral position in your laboratory. I have a medical degree and also have extensive research experience in my home country. My ultimate goal is to become an academic neurosurgeon and I would like to contribute to your lab as I work my way towards applying for US residency.

You could embellish a bit more but get straight to the point and lead with your strengths and purpose. Attach your CV.

Reactions: 1 user