Any insight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingstonhopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback. I am a Canadian graduate from Queen's U with a 3.9 GPA but low Mcat 27 overall but 6 in verbal. I have above average ECs I think, lots of research, leadership, int'l volunteering, etc. I applied to about 8 American Allopathic med schools and have have been rejected from 2, on hold at 6. Do I have any shot whatsoever at those hold schools or I am just being hopefully optimistic? Should I send any update letters?

I also applied to a few DO schools in December but have yet to hear back, so growing a little anxious. Do int'l students with a 6 in verbal have a shot at DO in the states? Could my high GPA mitigate a low verbal score?

Over the past two years, I have turned down offers from the Carrib, England, Ireland and Australia because I feel that the path to return to N.A (Canada) in particular is too risky/difficult, especially with the investment in tuition. Again, I know it was a risk but I really want a North American education.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You applied to too little schools.
Your MCAT is too low for MD, and 6 in Verbal is a XXXXX.

Kudos on turning down the MBBS! You do not want to feel like you are studying with a bunch of kids!!! :p heeheee to all my MBBS friends :p

You should improve your MCAT once and for all and re-apply.

Kudos on turning down the MBBS! You do not want to feel like you are studying with a bunch of kids!!! :p heeheee to all my MBBS friends :p

Um, okay, this advice is well-meant but nonsensical. A 3.9 GPA and a 27 MCAT is more than sufficient to get into an allopathic medical school. I did it, and my MCAT was a smidge higher than yours and my GPA was NOT as high. However, there's probably truth in the fact that you didn't apply to enough schools to really warrant a good outcome. I remember applying to about 8 schools and because my mother went to Cornell, her legacy snagged me an interview with the retired Dean. Who told me, point blank, that I didn't "have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in," but not because I wasn't a good candidate. I was just not playing my odds effectively. Certainly the MS I go to now is not internationally reknowned or particularly famous, but I will be a doctor in 1.5 years; my Step I scores were very high, and I'm living an excellent life. I went away from that Cornell interview crying furiously, applied to an additional 12 schools, and wound up getting three acceptances after six interviews. So it can be done. Without a retake of the MCAT. Ultimately if this application cycle leaves you hanging--decide once and for all whether you want to be an allopathic or osteopathic doc, reapply like you mean it, and own your strengths and weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad :)

Um, okay, this advice is well-meant but nonsensical. A 3.9 GPA and a 27 MCAT is more than sufficient to get into an allopathic medical school. I did it, and my MCAT was a smidge higher than yours and my GPA was NOT as high. However, there's probably truth in the fact that you didn't apply to enough schools to really warrant a good outcome. I remember applying to about 8 schools and because my mother went to Cornell, her legacy snagged me an interview with the retired Dean. Who told me, point blank, that I didn't "have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in," but not because I wasn't a good candidate. I was just not playing my odds effectively. Certainly the MS I go to now is not internationally reknowned or particularly famous, but I will be a doctor in 1.5 years; my Step I scores were very high, and I'm living an excellent life. I went away from that Cornell interview crying furiously, applied to an additional 12 schools, and wound up getting three acceptances after six interviews. So it can be done. Without a retake of the MCAT. Ultimately if this application cycle leaves you hanging--decide once and for all whether you want to be an allopathic or osteopathic doc, reapply like you mean it, and own your strengths and weaknesses.

It is not nonsensical.

Congrats on your exciting and successful interview process.

But 27 MCAT, with 6 in Verbal is already almost impossible. You said that you have a slightly higher MCAT.
Add to that he only applied to 8 MD schools.
AND add to that hes international.

We are here to give advice, I have no idea what advice you gave exactly other than doing nothing and reapplying which is politely absurd.

If he shouldnt improve his MCAT, then you got me wondering what he should work on.

It is not nonsensical.

Congrats on your exciting and successful interview process.

But 27 MCAT, with 6 in Verbal is already almost impossible. You said that you have a slightly higher MCAT.
Add to that he only applied to 8 MD schools.
AND add to that hes international.

We are here to give advice, I have no idea what advice you gave exactly other than doing nothing and reapplying which is politely absurd.

If he shouldnt improve his MCAT, then you got me wondering what he should work on.

Bannie, you're a premed. I hope you're in a medical school yourself, but if you're not then you have no business giving ANYONE "What are my chances?" advice.

Secondly, I did say that the OP should apply to more medical schools, and consistently either allopathic OR osteopathic. It sounded to me like the OP needs a reality check not on personal statistics, but on confidence and reality. The OP already knows his MCATs are low: I don't need to reiterate that. But he also needs to know that it is possible to get into an American MS with those scores, and I gave advice accordingly.

Bannie, you're a premed. I hope you're in a medical school yourself, but if you're not then you have no business giving ANYONE "What are my chances?" advice.

Secondly, I did say that the OP should apply to more medical schools, and consistently either allopathic OR osteopathic. It sounded to me like the OP needs a reality check not on personal statistics, but on confidence and reality. The OP already knows his MCATs are low: I don't need to reiterate that. But he also needs to know that it is possible to get into an American MS with those scores, and I gave advice accordingly.

Once again you gave no advice.

And you are wrong.
ANYONE can give advice, as a future physician, I hope you intend to listen to what your patients say, because the patients know more about themselves then you will ever.

Just because someone is not in medical school, does not mean that their opinion is worthless.

And more importantly, if the OP is going to reapply, then I strongly suggest he retake his MCAT.

If you suggest otherwise, thats your perogative, I do not agree with it, but I would not say your advice is nonsensical... well maybe I would, I cannot see how you would ask someone to do absolutely nothing and try reapplying. :rolleyes:

Bannie is accepted to a better med school than you....so I would not go there....:laugh:

OP, you need to retake the MCAT...being international that overall and verbal score is a killer.

Being out of country makes everything much harder in terms of getting US MD.

OP- If I were you, I would definitely retake the MCAT. You need to get atleast 8 on VR and aim for 30 or above on the MCAT. Good luck!

Since I have written the mcat 3 times and spent 3-4 mths studying each time I think I need to concede defeat. Any chances I can get into a us do school with my stats? Any do schools in particular?

Thanks

I agree with bannie's advice and further as he is a successful, current applicant from Canada, I think he is ideally suited to give an opinion to this poster.

Kingstonhopeful, as this is the Premed Allopathic Forum, most of us are not going to have a sense of what DO schools you have a chance at. Why not ask your question in the PreMed Osteopathic Forum also?

Agreed with the current sentiment. a 6 on the verbal will cripple you. Sorry.

If you aren't open to retaking the MCAT, then i guess you'll have to look to the Carribean or DO

Since I have written the mcat 3 times and spent 3-4 mths studying each time I think I need to concede defeat. Any chances I can get into a us do school with my stats? Any do schools in particular?

Thanks

Your overall MCAT score and Gpa will make you competitive for most DO schools....I would research it some over in the pre-DO forums but I have seen more than few get in with a 6 verbal.

I would look at them and see which ones you think you might like and contact the schools and see what they say. Or just apply to all of them.....:cool:

dude, bannie is supersmart. Check out bannie's mdapps *not linked*. It's crazy. Interviews at all the top schools, insane mcat.

I don't know about you, but I'd listen to Bannie if I were you.

respectfully, your humble peon,

thamsenman

I am extremely honoured and also terribly embarassed:ninja: at the same time for all the support I have received.

OP, If retaking the MCAT is really not an option, you should continue to pray for success at MD schools, but also like the above posters said, consider seriously DO schools, which give you equal status (to a certain extent) if you chose to return to Canada or stay in the States.

Your grades are more than good enough for DO schools.

And I am really thankful for my acceptances, however, unlike many other students here, I really do not have interviews at all the top schools. :ninja:
They have continued to elude poor me :(

And let this be a lesson to all.
DONT LACK RESEARCH. 1 SUMMER IZ NOT ENUFFZ :laugh:

Consider (as in, do research, or go on the premedDO forums like Cat said)