Any issues with working a side job in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnybanana

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got offered a very lenient, part time position for a job completely unrelated to medicine. Figured since it’s a job where I can make my own hours, I shouldn’t have an issue doing it, commitment-wise.

There aren’t any rules about taking on a second job as a resident, is there? Just something fun I’d like to do in my off time.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There aren't formal rules preventing nonmedical related work really in any residency contract. You just have to determine if your 10 dollar an hour part time gig at bestbuy is worth your free time. Make sure you aren't overwhelmed and just working for fun. The money isn't worth a failed board exam or missing a shift and getting in academic trouble, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There aren't formal rules preventing nonmedical related work really in any residency contract. You just have to determine if your 10 dollar an hour part time gig at bestbuy is worth your free time. Make sure you aren't overwhelmed and just working for fun. The money isn't worth a failed board exam or missing a shift and getting in academic trouble, etc.
Yep. depending on your skill set and time commitment required this could be lucrative. On the other hand if this is some nonsense type money its not worth it. Screwing up in residency may have signficant downstream consequences like no moonlighting or tons of meetings talking about your crap performance. You made it this far dont screw it up now for breadcrumbs.

That being said even as a resident you have plenty of time to do other things. You have to decide if you want to spend your time making more money or doing something else.

Reactions: 1 user
I would look in your contract. Every contract is different but most will have some generic clauses about not being allowed to moonlight if you’re not in good standing and it may not be clear if this applies to non-medical work.

If you do plan to do it I’d keep it very under raps, because some PDs could see this as an issue with your learning or try to get you in trouble for not progressing fast enough if you’re busy working during your off hours