any mothers out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRock310

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i would love to hear your experiences juggling medical school and motherhood. :) is it possible? do you have any regrets?

Members don't see this ad.

It's about 3 months into MS-1, so obviously take this with a GIANT grain of salt. But so far, so good. My kids are a bit older (elementary & preschool), which I think helps. Having family or friend or nanny support is key, and I think flexibility is too. Honestly, for me one of the hardest things has been not being able to study as much as I would like. I'm still doing well, but I probably could be doing better...but at the same time, I don't really want to sacrifice any more family time. I think you have to make adjustments, which of course EVERYONE does - kids or no.

And no, no regrets (thus far)!

Good luck :)

I'm also just a few months in.. but, I completely agree with the previous comments. I have a son in kindergarten. On the negative side, I definitely wish I could study more (but most people feel this ways kids or not). On the positive side, my husband and son really help me have a balanced approach to school.

It would probably be a bit harder if my son were not in school yet.. plenty of moms do it though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Few months into first year, no regrets so far. My daughter is in kindergarten so sometimes I do feel that I cannot be part of her life as much as I would like to, but not all parents can be there all the time. It was not hard for me to find a balance even though I have no help from family. My husband decided to work part time so that he spends more time with her and that is definitely a help since I dont have to cook/clean etc. so whatever free time I have, I can spend it with her.
Few suggestions, it was hard for me initially to not be able to take her out as much to do fun activities like bowling etc. But you know what, I have realized that my daughter does not care if all I can do for the day is watch disney with her for half n hour. Or if she falls asleep in my lap while I am studying. I guess what I am trying to say is that try to find little things that make you and your child happy. Kids can be the biggest motivator through this process:)

The most important thing is to have a very supportive spouse. I knew several moms who went through medical school and they continued to echo the importance of that level of family support. It really helps to have other family members close by so that they can help with the kids.

Yes a spousal and family support is important, but please...PLEASE don't forget that medical school, especially the first two years is the EASY PART.

Despite what you may think compared to 3rd year, and your residency, your first two years of medical school are a vacation. Make sure that you have some kind of plan for what you will do during those years because once you take out that first loan, you pretty much have to see it through to the end.