Any negatives to applying to only one dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cpain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a non-trad student who just wrapped up my 3rd year. Most schools require 3 letters of recommendations (2 science, 1 dentist/other). I only have 2 letters of recommendations (1 science and 1 dentist) due to not establishing a relationship with my professors during my 1st and 2nd year. Fortunately, my in-state school is UT-Memphis which requires no letters of recommendation, so I was thinking of applying to UT only this summer. Are there any negatives to applying to only one school other than the cost and increased chance of rejection?

I plan on getting more letters of recommendation next year (last 2 semesters) and applying broadly if I am not accepted this year.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is incredibly risky. Do whatever is in your power to get an additional letter of recommendation, don't let something like that limit you from applying broadly.

Yes, when schools ask you how many schools you've applied to, and you say one, they'll view it as being arrogant.

A student I know only applied to one and got rejected for that reason. He applied to more schools next year and got accepted into the school he was rejected from the year before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Feralis: were your reasons of it being risky the same as Steven's? I am taking a microbiology course right now over the summer that I could possibly use to get a LOC from, other than that it would pretty much be like "hey I got an A in your class can you write me a LOC" from my previous professors.

StevenLusL: Could I not just apply to like 6 schools knowing that I am not going to get accepted into any of them in order to honestly answer yes I applied to six schools?

Not trying to refute your concerns, just trying to brainstorm here, thanks.

Hi all,
I am a non-trad student who just wrapped up my 3rd year. Most schools require 3 letters of recommendations (2 science, 1 dentist/other). I only have 2 letters of recommendations (1 science and 1 dentist) due to not establishing a relationship with my professors during my 1st and 2nd year. Fortunately, my in-state school is UT-Memphis which requires no letters of recommendation, so I was thinking of applying to UT only this summer. Are there any negatives to applying to only one school other than the cost and increased chance of rejection?

I plan on getting more letters of recommendation next year (last 2 semesters) and applying broadly if I am not accepted this year.

Thanks!

Putting all your eggs in one basket is not a good idea, especially if your basket is not made of adamantium. The negative would be that you would doing a lot of work just so you would have an off chance that you will get in that school. You are better off getting a mediocre letter from someone and applying to more schools. Also, just because they don't require it, doesn't mean you will be put at a disadvantage for only having 2 letters.

Ok, since you asked, let me tell you my story. I applied late and only to one school last cycle because I had been planing all along to apply this cycle and suddenly changed my mind after finishing DAT. Since it was late (october) and I didn't have any prerequisites done at that time, I decided to only apply to my top choice which was my state school. The waiting almost killed me and I blamed myself hundreds of times for being arrogant. Luckily, I got in after the interview in January. Even though I am accepted after all, I highly oppose to the idea of applying to only one school especially if you have just average stats and background...
At my interview, I was asked why I put my school name on PS and what happened with other schools. I told interviewers that I only applied to their school. They seemed to be happy and I had no problem of getting in. So I don't think admissions committees consider negatively about your application because you are only interested in their school.

Ok, since you asked, let me tell you my story. I applied late and only to one school last cycle because I had been planing all along to apply this cycle and suddenly changed my mind after finishing DAT. Since it was late (october) and I didn't have any prerequisites done at that time, I decided to only apply to my top choice which was my state school. The waiting almost killed me and I blamed myself hundreds of times for being arrogant. Luckily, I got in after the interview in January. Even though I am accepted after all, I highly oppose to the idea of applying to only one school especially if you have just average stats and background...
At my interview, I was asked why I put my school name on PS and what happened with other schools. I told interviewers that I only applied to their school. They seemed to be happy and I had no problem of getting in. So I don't think admissions committees consider negatively about your application because you are only interested in their school.

From what I know, they may ask him why he only applied to one school, but it shouldn't hurt him with a good explanation. However, with your DAT score, they most likely would have accepted you however many schools you applied to. I hope you got a scholarship cuz if you didn't, you most would have likely gotten one if you gave the school impression of competing against other schools.

That's weird---my state dental school is UT Memphis and I'm also in summer microbiology right now. (I won't ask where you go to school, but I will glance suspiciously around class on Tuesday.)

From what I know, they may ask him why he only applied to one school, but it shouldn't hurt him with a good explanation. However, with your DAT score, they most likely would have accepted you however many schools you applied to. I hope you got a scholarship cuz if you didn't, you most would have likely gotten one if you gave the school impression of competing against other schools.
Unfortunately, UF only has need-based fellowships as far as I know... I am non-traditional and moving out of florida is just too much for my family, so I chose to stay.

I applied to one school and got in. But it is still INCREDIBLY risky. I can't believe I didn't apply to at least 2-3 other schools. Always have a backup. That being said, if I hadn't gotten into LSU and instead got accepted to a private school, I may have turned down the acceptance and reapplied to LSU, just because I would happily give up a year to be at a school with $120k tuition for 4 years.

I can only think of the negatives of applying to one school only.
There are no schools that can guarantee a definite acceptance.

I would recommend for you to call the schools that you are interested and explain your situation. If that doesn't work, it would be safer to apply once next year, rather than reapplying.

Unfortunately, UF only has need-based fellowships as far as I know... I am non-traditional and moving out of florida is just too much for my family, so I chose to stay.

I understand your situation, but the school may not have known that. If the school thought it needed to work to attract you, you may have gotten a sizable scholarship due to your academics. Schools often say one thing and do other. It's just unfortunate that no one advise you to do that when you applied.

I understand your situation, but the school may not have known that. If the school thought it needed to work to attract you, you may have gotten a sizable scholarship due to your academics. Schools often say one thing and do other. It's just unfortunate that no one advise you to do that when you applied.
As I indicated, UF does not have that type of fellowship ...

I applied to one school and got in. But it is still INCREDIBLY risky. I can't believe I didn't apply to at least 2-3 other schools. Always have a backup. That being said, if I hadn't gotten into LSU and instead got accepted to a private school, I may have turned down the acceptance and reapplied to LSU, just because I would happily give up a year to be at a school with $120k tuition for 4 years.

May I ask you what were your stats?

May I ask you what were your stats?
GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.7
AA: 21
PAT: 23
Plus volunteering and shadowing. Very average stats, to be honest. I think applying early (I submitted AADSAS 2 days after it opened) gave me an edge.