Any NON-TRADs in Vet School or planning on it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tangerinepuddle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Non-trad here - deciding between PA School and Vet School - any non-trads out there (lets say age 26 and up)? Anyone switch careers? How has the process been for you?

Stories, please!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

29, starting in August. Best friend is studying to be a PA. She went back last year. She said the PA path seemed less torturous than the vet process (admissions wise) but that she thinks I will like my job better.

There are tons of us on here! And I would say the success rate is very high! I found this forum soon after I left grad school in psychology to switch to vet med and everyone on the forum made me feel very much at ease - like I wasn't the only person who decided after getting a Bachelor's and/or working for a while in another field to pursue something completely unrelated.

I personally left grad school in psychology after the Fall 2007 term and committed to vet med (both in coursework and gathering experience) starting the day after my last final exam. 15 months later, in March 2009, I received 2 acceptances to vet school (out of the 3 schools I applied to) and I am finishing up my last 5 pre-reqs this term. It's been quite a journey, but I couldn't be happier with where I am heading... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am technically a non-trad but not by choice, I didn't get accepted on the first go-around so I went back for a lengthy masters. Then one day I woke up and realized I was 26! Luckily, I was accepted on my second try.

Don’t get me wrong 26 is still pretty young but I will admit that I felt very uncomfortable when I was interviewing. Most of the people that I was talking with still had a permanent address at their parents house, some even brought their parents with them to the interview!!!

The facebook group I joined for my incoming class was also a little intimidating, out of the 25 members only 2 of us have been out of undergrad for more than 1 year. The majority are in the process of finishing up undergrad work.

I am proud of all that I have accomplished during the last few years and I have a lot of added experience but I am nervous that I will feel out of place when school starts, especially since my class size is only about 80.

I'm a non-traditional student, too. I have a B.S. in Education, and have most of my pre-req's completed. I will be 26 in December, and if admitted during my first cycle- almost 27 when classes begin. (When did I get this old???:rolleyes:) I've been gathering volunteer hours, veterinary hours, and finishing Physics I and II this coming year. It is what I want most in this world and I hope and pray that it happens. I'm a newlywed and know that my future changes someone else's, too. Which is definitely a big difference from traditional students.

I'm almost through my second year of vet school and just turned 43, so all you youngsters have plenty of time. I raised the family first, and some of you will just do it the other way around. I am in the midst of studying for my ophthalmology final, so stories will have to wait, but yes, it is entirely doable.

So, I'm mostly a lurker on this forum, but am also a non-trad. If I get accepted the first go-around, I will be 27 when I start school. There have been some excellent posts in the past about other non-trads, acceptance rates, long-distance relationships, etc., just do a search.

I've found that it helps to talk with the advisors at the school(s) your are planning to attend. They know who and what gets accepted.

I will be applying only to UW-Madison (IS), as I am married and husband won't move any further. It's been six years since I've taken college level courses (and I'm sure that for some on the board it's been much longer), the advisor recommended that I take full course loads (15+ credits) during the time it takes to finish my pre-reqs. She also said to take as many science classes as I can.

As far as switching careers... it's a big change. I owned my own real estate business for the last seven and am used to the freedoms and income that has brought, and now we're looking at going into debt for college (again) and just a huge lifestyle change all-together. If you set your mind to it and it is where your heart and head are, you can do it.

Hope that helps a little bit, and I wish you and all the other non-trads success!

I loved chemistry in high school, so I majored in it in college and worked as a chemist for several years after college. I didn't like it so much in the real world, and decided to change careers when I was 25. Once I settled on veterinary medicine, I realized how long of a trip it would be. I didn't have any of the biology pre-reqs, and was missing many of the random other ones like English comp, public speaking, business/economics, etc. I also have a lousy undergrad GPA because I did more having fun than learning. My career change coincided with a move from Texas back to my home state of NC, so I waited a year to regain my NC residency for tuition purposes before I started taking classes as a post-bac to get the pre-reqs done. I've taken 1-2 classes per semester for the last 5 years. There weren't many chemistry jobs in my area in NC, so I was lucky to find a job doing clinical research (in humans). I have volunteered to get the animal and vet experience needed, because I wanted to make more money than I could make as a paid kennel assistant. Plus my job is actually kind of cool, and it counted as "vet experience" on VMCAS b/c it is research performed under the supervision of an MD. I got into 5/9 schools and will start at NCSU in August. It has been a long, tiring process. There have been many times I wished I wanted to be a lawyer, or MD, or business person, or whatever. If I'd picked just about anything else I'd be further along by now. But I want to be a vet. I'm 32 now, so wil be 36 when I graduate.

Going down the non-trad path to vet school can be really hard. A lot depends on how much work you have to do just to meet the minimum requirements. Do you have most, some, or none of the pre-reqs? Do you have a crappy undergrad GPA that needs repair? How quickly can you amass the required experience? Do you live in a state whose vet school is friendly to non-trads? My advice is to go for vet school if you really want it. But if you'd be just as happy being a PA, and can get done with that sooner, go for it instead. If you truly can't decide which one you want, take some time to think about it. I've been thinking about vet med for the last 6+ years. Yeah, I'm "old", but I'm pretty darn sure I'm going to end up where I want to be.

I loved chemistry in high school, so I majored in it in college and worked as a chemist for several years after college. I didn't like it so much in the real world, and decided to change careers when I was 25. Once I settled on veterinary medicine, I realized how long of a trip it would be. I didn't have any of the biology pre-reqs, and was missing many of the random other ones like English comp, public speaking, business/economics, etc. I also have a lousy undergrad GPA because I did more having fun than learning. My career change coincided with a move from Texas back to my home state of NC, so I waited a year to regain my NC residency for tuition purposes before I started taking classes as a post-bac to get the pre-reqs done. I've taken 1-2 classes per semester for the last 5 years. There weren't many chemistry jobs in my area in NC, so I was lucky to find a job doing clinical research (in humans). I have volunteered to get the animal and vet experience needed, because I wanted to make more money than I could make as a paid kennel assistant. Plus my job is actually kind of cool, and it counted as "vet experience" on VMCAS b/c it is research performed under the supervision of an MD. I got into 5/9 schools and will start at NCSU in August. It has been a long, tiring process. There have been many times I wished I wanted to be a lawyer, or MD, or business person, or whatever. If I'd picked just about anything else I'd be further along by now. But I want to be a vet. I'm 32 now, so wil be 36 when I graduate.

Going down the non-trad path to vet school can be really hard. A lot depends on how much work you have to do just to meet the minimum requirements. Do you have most, some, or none of the pre-reqs? Do you have a crappy undergrad GPA that needs repair? How quickly can you amass the required experience? Do you live in a state whose vet school is friendly to non-trads? My advice is to go for vet school if you really want it. But if you'd be just as happy being a PA, and can get done with that sooner, go for it instead. If you truly can't decide which one you want, take some time to think about it. I've been thinking about vet med for the last 6+ years. Yeah, I'm "old", but I'm pretty darn sure I'm going to end up where I want to be.

I have some of the pre-reqs done. How can I find out which schools are friendly to non-trads..call them directly?

I am totally Non-Trad and even used it as a selling point in my interview and PS ("mature" and "experience" ect...)
I'm 29 with a husband and an 18 month old son. I love that there are so many others who have already completed Vet School, under similar circumstances, and so many who are doing it right now!
Because, yeah, it is strange to see some of the youngsters I'll be going to school with BUT, I always tell myself

"Hey, I'm going to be 34 no matter what. Wouldn't it be better to be 34 and a Vet?"

Last edited:
I'm also a non-trad. I'll be 28 in a few months which feels really when browsing the threads. I graduated with a B.A 6 years ago which meant that I had to take a bunch of prereq's. That actually turned out to be an advantage because I was able to ease the transition from running my business to re-becoming a student (I think GWB used that one ;)). This is my first application cycle and I at least made it on a wait list. My only gripe is that it feels like us non-trads have more to sacrifice and more to put on the line (spouses, businesses, houses, kids etc.) and the acceptance rates are so low. Do I list the house now? Do I start turing away clients and thinning my business? Should my wife quit her job and where should she start looking for another? What does phosphofructokinase do again? And where did I put my keys? Ahh, the joys of life:D.

hey, non-trad here too. 27, finishing my MSc (um, my defense is tomorrow, I really should be studying) and applied to WCVM in Canada this year.

Since all the non-trads are congregating here, I was wondering for those of you who don't have a family with kids yet but are planning on doing all that stuff, have you thought about how you're going to do it? If we're all around 26-27 now, when we graduate, we'll be in our early 30s. Would you work for a couple years first and then wait until you're in your mid-30s to start a family or start a family right away? It doesn't seem fair to the employer if you get a job as a vet and then go on mat leave a couple months later and what if you want to have more than 1 kid? Hmm...just something to think about, don't mean to go off-topic from the original thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you work for a couple years first and then wait until you're in your mid-30s to start a family or start a family right away? It doesn't seem fair to the employer if you get a job as a vet and then go on mat leave a couple months later and what if you want to have more than 1 kid?

I already have a son but we are planning on having another after school. I know a few(4) vets who had their kids right after school and I don't think anyone should feel bad about that. It worked out fine for them (and their employers made it through too)...Anyway, that's our plan.

I was wondering for those of you who don't have a family with kids yet but are planning on doing all that stuff, have you thought about how you're going to do it?

My wife and I have definitely been discussing this. We were thinking about trying for the summer between first and second year but if I don't get in this year, that's another year to wait (she doesn't know if she can wait that long :)). I guess I have it a little easier being a guy but it's still alot to take on. There were two guys at the UC Davis interview workshop that had kid(s) and they both seemed to be doing pretty well. Any one else have any thoughts?

It seems like the beginning of the summer would be a nice time to aim for that way you can guarantee being there for the event itself, plus being able to help with the tiring late-night feedings when you aren't in classes. That's not to say it won't still be had for you during the pregnancy (late-night pickle runs, anyone?) or after school starts again. Of course there will be sacrifices. Just think them though before making a decision!

Hi all,
Non-trad here - deciding between PA School and Vet School - any non-trads out there (lets say age 26 and up)? Anyone switch careers? How has the process been for you?

Stories, please!!!!

Another non-trad, checking in. I applied to vet school straight out of undergrad, went through two rounds of apps, didn't get accepted. Decided maybe I could do something other than being a vet. So, I went for a PhD, decided nope, I was wrong! I didn't want to do that instead! Switched and received a M.S. and worked for a few years after receiving that degree. Finally decided that it was crazy to be in another career when I knew what I really wanted to be doing (even if I was trying to repress it!). Applied to 5 US schools last fall, accepted to none. Applied and accepted to Ross, planning to head there this fall. May not be the 'usual' way of going about things, but dang it, I AM going to be a vet even if I have to go to the Caribbean to do it!

Even with all the OMG-am-I-crazy and what-am-I-thinking that happens some days, there's a sense of calmness in this journey, as I know I'm finally on the right path for me. Hasn't been easy, not over yet, but it's happening.

I'm 28, will be 29 when I start if I get in this upcoming cycle.

I got my CS degree in 2004, decided it wasn't for me, moved down south and started working at a vet clinic and got a second BS in Molecular Biology and Microbiology in 2007, moved to Davis and applied to UC Davis only for class of 2012 and didn't get in, and am now working on a thesis-based MS at UC Davis. So decidedly non-trad, at this point. It's cool though, I get to be all "older and wiser" without actually looking like it :cool:.

That's me! 27 now. Started back to school at 26. Did the legal secretary/paralegal thing for 6 years and then decided it wasn't for me. I'm currently pursuing my BS in biology, because I only have 2 associate degrees right now (that's all I needed for my previous job).

I started a pretty controversial family/vet school thread awhile back. Basically my husband and I have decided to let me get through my BS, or as much of it as possible, and then apply to grad school and vet school. My vet school of interest has a dual DVM/MPH degree. Since I am fairly confident I won't get in the first time anyway, I plan to at least attempt to get into grad school and keep applying for vet med until I either get in or decide to give up the idea. Either way, I do have a career plan in mind.

We are waiting to have kids for the time being, but we hope to try for our first before I apply to vet school. We don't plan to have a very large family anyway, but I don't want to wait too long before we start trying. I'm comfortable putting it off for a couple years yet.

How can I find out which schools are friendly to non-trads..call them directly?

I have found that most schools are very friendly to non-trads. The admissions committees that I've spoken with seem to sincerely value varied experiences in the work/life sense. That being said, they expect all non-trads to have the exact same pre-reqs coming in as everyone else, with little to no leeway. So they are "friendly" to diversity of life experience, most definitely, but they do not make it any easier on non-trads who may be years out of college, scrambling to get pre-reqs done. I don't think any school would admit to being 'non-trad friendly' over the phone, but you can look at admissions statistics for each school which often cite the median and age range of the class, varied majors, etc., to get a sense of the recent classes they have accepted.

Non-trads unite! :D I'll be 30 if I get in the first time I apply. I have a couple more years of pre-reqs and such. It is HARD making time for everything...that's for sure. I know it will be worth it in the end, though.

I do have to tell you guys that I was making a home visit yesterday with another social worker and she asked how the "vet thing" was going. I told her it was going, but I still needed to complete quite a few pre-reqs. She said, "well you may as well apply now because they won't let you in for at least three years anyway." Duh. I think one of her relatives tried to apply to vet school a few times and didn't get in, so she thinks that no one ever gets in. Plus, I had to explain to her that I can't apply until I have most of my pre-reqs done. Yikes!

First of all, welcome! :hello: Another non-trad here; I turned 36 shortly after receiving my acceptance letter to Tufts last month. This means that I'll the the big 4-:eek: (!) when I graduate.

I've always known that I would do this at some point. I completed a vet tech program some 10 years ago, then started working at a local shelter as an adoption counselor. Then I helped run the foster care program, summer camp, and the education program there before we hired vets & I was once again bitten by the vet med bug a few years back.

I applied for the first time last year & was rejected, but that only made me want it more. I met with the Admissions Counselor at Tufts, who said that I should go back & do some post-bac work or 1-year master's, just to get back into the whole classroom thing because I'd been out for a while other than 1 pre-req (the infamous Biochem). So I ended up taking courses like Toxicology, Animal Behavior, and Reproductive Physiology and had a blast! It was a bit strange at first to be there with a bunch a people some 14 years younger, but it all worked out. I've worked on some amazing projects & even made some friends in the process.

So I've taken the scenic route to get here, but I wouldn't change it for anything. Money--or lack thereof--is scary, waiting so long to have kids is scary (I'll be at a senior center playing bingo while my kid is in preschool, at the rate I'm going). But anything worth doing is going to have risk involved. And I don't want to have regrets later on.

Best of luck to you! No matter how old you are, there's nothing like the feeling of getting that acceptance letter. :D

has a dual DVM/MPH degree???? That would be excellent!!!!!!!!

That's me! 27 now. Started back to school at 26. Did the legal secretary/paralegal thing for 6 years and then decided it wasn't for me. I'm currently pursuing my BS in biology, because I only have 2 associate degrees right now (that's all I needed for my previous job).

I started a pretty controversial family/vet school thread awhile back. Basically my husband and I have decided to let me get through my BS, or as much of it as possible, and then apply to grad school and vet school. My vet school of interest has a dual DVM/MPH degree. Since I am fairly confident I won't get in the first time anyway, I plan to at least attempt to get into grad school and keep applying for vet med until I either get in or decide to give up the idea. Either way, I do have a career plan in mind.

We are waiting to have kids for the time being, but we hope to try for our first before I apply to vet school. We don't plan to have a very large family anyway, but I don't want to wait too long before we start trying. I'm comfortable putting it off for a couple years yet.

Thank you for your replies and encouragement - I'm doing it! I have about a year's worth of pre-reqs left, and off I go!!!! :eek:

Basically my husband and I have decided to let me get through my BS, or as much of it as possible, and then apply to grad school and vet school.

Quoting myself here. This is what happens when you try to type and look at what the dog is doing at the same time. What I meant to say was that we hope to get through as much of my BS as possible before trying for a baby. Not only can we not really afford it right now, but I don't want to add to an already huge list of things I have to do right now.

I read my own response and said "that's not what I meant!" :oops:

And to answer your other question, the DVM/MPH degrees I am aware of are at OSU, Iowa St., MN, and Florida.

And to answer your other question, the DVM/MPH degrees I am aware of are at OSU, Iowa St., MN, and Florida.

And Tufts, and Wisconsin...seems like most schools are getting on the bandwagon, since it's such a pertinent issue.

I'm a non-trad, but I'm only 25 (I'll be 26 this Fall). I initially applied straight out of college, but only considered schools close to where I live. I then joined Teach For America, where I committed to 2 years teaching in an inner city school. I am now, finally getting to my dream. I only had to take one pre-req that I avoided during undergrad, and that is Public Speaking. I don't have a fear or anything, but just felt it wasn't worth my time in undergrad.

Good Luck to all!

Another non-trad here... thanks to this thread I've been reminded that if I get accepted this cycle I will be 34 when starting vet school. I have never felt a day older than 26 though... except this week when I have had the first back pain of my life. I am definitely feeling old, but hopefully that will pass!

Anyway, I wanted to say that I left my file review with CSU last week feeling that they are in fact very non-trad friendly. The woman I met with was encouraging in that she said that they understood that I would have much lower hours in terms of vet experience and that an academic letter might not make sense for me (she suggested two from vets and one from my current employer). At some point I made some comment about how it may feel a little odd to be sitting in a room full of 22 year olds, and she reminded me of the fact that the average age of last year's class was 26. I haven't looked at the average age for many schools, but that strikes me as being on the older side. Of course that may just be the case since it is so hard to get into that everyone has to try for years to get in! Oh, and she also said that she herself was a non-traditional vet student and the advise she was given was the same advice some of you have mentioned... you will be 38 (or whatever) in 4 years... so you might as well be 38 and doing something you love!

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies and encouragement - I'm doing it! I have about a year's worth of pre-reqs left, and off I go!!!! :eek:

Yeah!!! Go Tangerinepuddle! you can do it! :highfive:

Non-trad here, as well. Just turned 28, so I'll be 32 when I graduate.
There are quite a few of us non-trads that posted our stats/story on the Successful Applicant Thread. I'm a pretty non-traditional non-trad: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7901817#post7901817 So, if I can do it, so can you! :D

Not sure what state you are a resident of, but just in case it's california, I wanted to also chime in and say that UC Davis doesn't have a DVM/MPH program, but they have an awesome Master of Preventative Veterinary Medicine option! http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/mpvm/overview.html
I may be interested in the international/Peace Corps option, myself.

And KSU. And you can do an MPH at UC Davis, too, but I don't think it's as nicely integrated with the curriculum...not structured as both in 4 years. But we do have the MPVM program. Also not both in 4, but better integrated than the MPH is with the DVM.

I'm also a non-trad . .. about as non-trad as you can get (29 yr old with a B.A. in Anthropology and Religion). I graduated from undergrad in 2002 and worked doing public health behavior research for 4 yrs before quitting my job to pursue vet med. In undergrad I didn't take 1 science class .. not one . . so I had to start from absolute scratch in order to get all of the science pre-reqs needed . .and it has taken me almost 3 yrs. During those 3 yrs, I got a job at a local small animal clinic starting out as a receptionist that would do some tech work here and there. Anyhoo, I applied this past fall to UTK and got in! (UT also has a MPH/DVM program . .which is what I'm interested in) So, I'm a perfect example that it can be done :) Once I made the decision to go for it, I've never looked back and am THRILLED to finally know what it is I want to do . . .I think someone mentioned earlier that once you know what you want to do, there's a sense of calmness . . I definitely experienced that.

On another note, I think what stands out about us non-trads is that we have life-experience and can approach vet. med from a unique perspective. I think one of my selling points was the experience I have working with and studying people and their behavior. I think sometimes applicants forget that vet. med also involves working with people not just animals . . .and let's be honest, sometimes the people are more difficult to deal with than the animals :). Also, I think there's something to be said for getting into vet med at a later age, for me personally, it was a very calculated decision. I'm also married (no kids) and so I had to think of not only my own sacrifices but the sacrifices I was asking my husband and family to make (I had a fabulous job that paid well, benefits, paid vacation time, etc that I would be quitting in order to pursue this) So that meant many of the things my husband and I wanted, would have to be put on the back-burner b/c of this decision . . .ANYWAY . . blah blah blah . .. point being, if this is truly something you are prepared to work your a** off for and something you really want to do, it can be acheived . .. (I get fired up talking about the non-trad approach . . . :))

it feels like us non-trads have more to sacrifice and more to put on the line (spouses, businesses, houses, kids etc.) .

I was going to make this exact statement. I am 29 now and will be 30 when I start vet school this fall. As another non-trad, I'll briefly share my experience.

I began working full-time straight out of high school instead of going to college. I was 22 or 23 before I decided that I wanted to study biology and eventually apply to veterinary school. I worked full time for years while taking classes on a part time basis (6 or 9 hours). Then, two years ago, I cut back my working hours to 30 hours a work, took 12-14 credits a semester both to finish my degree up and to make a stronger case for myself for being able to handle the class load in vet school, and I was also shadowing a vet every Saturday during this time, AND trying to maintain a relationship with my SO (we lived together and had 3 pets).

I cannot tell you much I sacrificed.... sleep, free time, any time with my SO, sanity some days!!! It cost me my relationship with my SO, but I wouldn't give up my dreams... he just couldn't deal with it. But in four years I will be a veterinarian and just shy of my 35th birthday. :) I have no kids now and am single.... it's scary as hell to go from being in a committed, long term relationship, and having a house, to beginning a 4 year intense program like vet school, without having my SO or any place to live, lol. But I'm a strong woman who worked hard to follow my dreams, and they are coming true.

AND I like that I'm older.... I am more confident than I was when I was only 22 or even 25 or 26, lol. I have great leadership and interpersonal skills, am quite capable of problem solving and multi-tasking, and I can talk to anyone. I am emotionally more mature than I was before, which I believe will be helfpul in dealing with stressful, emotional situations with clients, staff, and sick animals. All in all, I arrived at this moment at the perfect time. I am finally comfortable in my skin, with who I am, and as a woman. I'm a mature and confident woman, and I am going to be a veterinarian!!!!

So rock on all you non-trads!!!! :)

I'm almost through my second year of vet school and just turned 43, so all you youngsters have plenty of time. I raised the family first, and some of you will just do it the other way around. I am in the midst of studying for my ophthalmology final, so stories will have to wait, but yes, it is entirely doable.

So critter it sounds like you and I will be progressing through vet school at exactly the same ages -- I start this fall, but am also 2 years behind you age wise as well. So, any problems really with being "our age" and in vet school? I really do not anticipate too many, and am just finishing up a MS this spring, so I have been in class with the kids before.

I have found that I don't really act my age, so few people know how old I really am. I do not hide it, but neither do I go out and blab it to the world. My peers know I am older than them, but few know by how much. Some, when finding out exactly my age freak out a bit, thus why I do n ot mention it often. But, with most people just assuming I am 30ish, I have few problems. I still am part of the study groups, still go drink an occasional beer with them, but do not tend to go to, or be invited to, all of the college parties they have. Not really a problem for me. At least I am not the one they call Grandma -- she's 10 years younger than I am!

I have not had all that much of a problem being accepted. True I am in a grad program now, it was a bit different as I finished my undergrad. You do have to adapt to them, they will not adapt to you, but I cannot see any reason to tell someone not to do it. Go for it! :thumbup:

Suppose I should have mentioned my age when I posted my story - I'll be 31 when I start school this fall.

:D

I have found that I don't really act my age, so few people know how old I really am. I do not hide it, but neither do I go out and blab it to the world.

That's the way I am too, with the "bonus" of being short and generally young-looking. Since I'm in grad school the age people guess for me has gone up from 18ish at least. :rolleyes:

Yeah!!
i was going to make this exact statement. I am 29 now and will be 30 when i start vet school this fall. As another non-trad, i'll briefly share my experience.

I began working full-time straight out of high school instead of going to college. I was 22 or 23 before i decided that i wanted to study biology and eventually apply to veterinary school. I worked full time for years while taking classes on a part time basis (6 or 9 hours). Then, two years ago, i cut back my working hours to 30 hours a work, took 12-14 credits a semester both to finish my degree up and to make a stronger case for myself for being able to handle the class load in vet school, and i was also shadowing a vet every saturday during this time, and trying to maintain a relationship with my so (we lived together and had 3 pets).

I cannot tell you much i sacrificed.... Sleep, free time, any time with my so, sanity some days!!! It cost me my relationship with my so, but i wouldn't give up my dreams... He just couldn't deal with it. But in four years i will be a veterinarian and just shy of my 35th birthday. :) i have no kids now and am single.... It's scary as hell to go from being in a committed, long term relationship, and having a house, to beginning a 4 year intense program like vet school, without having my so or any place to live, lol. But i'm a strong woman who worked hard to follow my dreams, and they are coming true.

And i like that i'm older.... I am more confident than i was when i was only 22 or even 25 or 26, lol. I have great leadership and interpersonal skills, am quite capable of problem solving and multi-tasking, and i can talk to anyone. I am emotionally more mature than i was before, which i believe will be helfpul in dealing with stressful, emotional situations with clients, staff, and sick animals. All in all, i arrived at this moment at the perfect time. I am finally comfortable in my skin, with who i am, and as a woman. I'm a mature and confident woman, and i am going to be a veterinarian!!!!

So rock on all you non-trads!!!! :)

Hi there non-trads! It's really great hearing everyone's path to vet school. I am 33 now and probably won't be starting vet school (assuming I get in) until I am 35, maybe 36. I have a lot of pre-reqs and experience to catch up on. I find it both crazy and inspiring that I could be 40 and graduating of vet school. But hey: better late than never.

I have a double degree in Finance and Marketing and for the past 10 years I have worked in business (the glamorous world of manufacturing). I was really successful but I only LIKED the job, did not love it. My husband, two cats and I recently moved to northern California (because my husband found his dream career--which consequently moved us west) and I happily quit my job in Chicago. At first I thought I would do something similar out here, but thanks to the horrible economy, I found it really difficult to get a job. What ended up happening is that I found myself soul-searching for a career that actually enjoyed. Enter vet school dream.

I am focusing on applying to UC Davis since I am a CA resident, but my husband’s job could take us to the east coast in a couple years, so I am considering Tufts, VA/MD, NC State and UPenn.

I agree with Boomerwally and others about the life experience and the calculated decision that non-trads must make in order to head down this path. But, this 30-something has her eye on the prize and the challenge ahead of me keeps me motivated.

So critter it sounds like you and I will be progressing through vet school at exactly the same ages -- I start this fall, but am also 2 years behind you age wise as well. So, any problems really with being "our age" and in vet school? I really do not anticipate too many, and am just finishing up a MS this spring, so I have been in class with the kids before.

I have found that I don't really act my age, so few people know how old I really am. I do not hide it, but neither do I go out and blab it to the world. My peers know I am older than them, but few know by how much. Some, when finding out exactly my age freak out a bit, thus why I do n ot mention it often. But, with most people just assuming I am 30ish, I have few problems. I still am part of the study groups, still go drink an occasional beer with them, but do not tend to go to, or be invited to, all of the college parties they have. Not really a problem for me. At least I am not the one they call Grandma -- she's 10 years younger than I am!

I have not had all that much of a problem being accepted. True I am in a grad program now, it was a bit different as I finished my undergrad. You do have to adapt to them, they will not adapt to you, but I cannot see any reason to tell someone not to do it. Go for it! :thumbup:

HA! You ARE older than me :smuggrin: It was hard to tell by all of your immature comments....juuuuust kiiiidddinng :D I'm not too terribly far behind you, but you ARE still older. Whew!

Well another non-trad here and my first post in this forum!!:)My situation is also complicated in its own way!

Here’s my story: I’m 22, from Iran, in my last year in university, studying Computer Science. My GPA is 3.7, and I applied to some Canadian Universities for M.Sc. in CS this year and well till now I’ve got admitted to University of Alberta and Calgary with full financial aid (I have to work as TA or RA) , I’m still waiting to hear from SFU and UBC!

The problem is that I’ve always wanted to become a vet. My mother, who is also a vet, always tried to talk me out of it. She actually doesn’t like it that much. When it was time for us to choose our field in high school, I chose math!! The factors which played a role in my decision were: my mother kept telling me that I’d really have a lower chance of getting admitted to foreign universities if I choose to study veterinary here (still don’t know if she was right about it), Math students were considered to be smarter!!!!!:wtf:, I’d fallen in love with my math teacher! All in all I was young and stupid! Anyway I don’t know how the education system in universities is out there but in here it’s really not flexible, not at all!, once I were in university studying Computer Science there was really no way back for me to change my major! For that I had to get out, wait some years to be able to retake that “National University Entrance Exam”. Retaking that stupid exam was and still IS really like going through hell for me! So I decided to stick to what I was studying. I was in the Best engineering University in the country, on my way to apply and get outta the country. but as I took more and more courses and suffered doing more and more course projects I really came to the conclusion that Computer Science wasn’t for me! and now I DO HATE PROGRAMMING! And I can’t really see myself being happy working in this field in future. It’s always been my passion to become a vet and every year, over and over again, I had the same discussion with my parents and friends about wanting to change my major in future and start studying veterinary. Of course no one ever got me!!! Anyway I tried to do well and when the time came for me to apply I applied to graduate program in CS Cause I didn’t think that there would be any chance for me to get financial support applying for B.Sc. degree in Science. without that I wouldn’t have any money to live and study in a foreign country.

So now that’s my plan, I really don’t know if it’ll be feasible or not but I know that’s really what I want and I’ll be ready to do anything to get it. I’m planning to finish my M.Sc. (in bio informatics, if possible) as I really need the fund that university gives me in order to survive, but I also want to take the pre requisite undergrad courses in Science beside that! Does anyone know that it’ll be possible? :DI don’t know if I’ll have the money to pay for those extra courses! Is it really necessary for me to get another B.S (Studying my M.S fulltime and B.S part-time, or finish my M.S first and then start another B.S) or all I have to do is to pass the pre-req courses? I already read here that taking just those pre-req courses will do. I also have to volunteer for some veterinary works. I’m just waiting to see which university I’m gonna go to, then I’m gonna consult with the university about taking the courses!

All in all it was soooooooo AWESOME for me to find this forum. I got so inspired to follow my dream, I saw some people who had B.Sc. in Computer Science in here like me and wanted to become a vet .I found out that I was not alone. Seriously none of my friends understand why I’m so interested to become a vet and change my whole career!
That was my story! Sorry that I wrote a lot!! :whistle:

I've been debating on whether or not to post in this thread. I'm pretty young (24) to be considered a non-trad, but I'm definitely taking the scenic route.

I dropped out of highschool when I was 16, since I was so burnt out on the public education system. I knew in the back of my head that I wanted to be a vet, but spending 8 more years in school sounded impossible. I also knew that I couldn't be just "another highschool dropout" so I started at a community college.

We didn't have a local community college that offered an associates in veterinary technology, so for some stupid reason I got my associates in mortuary science. I looked at average salaries for funeral directors, and figured it was a career path where I could always get a job. I worked as a body piercer the entire time I was getting my AAS. After finishing my internship at the funeral home, I worked there for a paltry $10 an hour for a few months.

Soon after, I got a job working in a clean room making microprocessors. It had nothing to do with what I was interested in, but it paid really well, and I could work nights. All of a sudden, I realized that I had been there for two years. When you're working that schedule, time flies, and it gets away from you. I realized that if I didn't bust my ass to get out of there, I'd find myself at age 40 in the same dead end job. Thats when I decided to return to school and follow my dreams.

I quit my job at the microprocessor plant, and started working as a body piercer again while going to school full time. Since I got the stupid mortuary degree, instead of a generic associate's in biology, I had a full year of credits that didn't transfer. I transferred into my state university as a sophomore. I finally got a job at a vet's office that allowed me to quit working at the tattoo studio, while still attending school full time.

I'm applying this summer. In some ways, if I could go back and do it again, I'd like to smack 16-year-old me for picking the mortuary science degree, and not just going straight into a biology degree. In other ways, I've picked up quite a bit over the years, both in the body piercing jobs, and the funeral home that I wouldn't want to give up. I'm hoping when I apply that the Adcoms will see it as a possible thing, and not as somebody who couldn't make up their mind.

I think that we have just redefined a non-trad student, and really I do not disagree with including the last few posters within our group. :highfive: Traditionally, a non-traditional student meant a non-traditionaly AGED student -- IE over like 26. But, I will have to agree that reseturlife and TrocarKarin should probably be included within the realm of a "not traditional" student. Let's face it, is it our age or our experiences that truly define who and what we are? Is not our life experiences what will make us such outstanding practitioners? I know, as the resident cynic/bad guy in the group I am not always the most popular.

As to our Iranian friend, my humble advice is to follow your passions, and not to worry about what "society/money" thinks of us. Yes, as individuals with a bit more life experience than most (not always age related) we also know that sometimes you have to go with the flow, follow the easier path as you need to, and pick and chose your battles. Also I do not pretend to speak for those who feel a familial obligation to do as their culture deems appropriate. I may not be doing that now, but in my own way I have done exactly that before, and have spent enough time in this life to learn that what I think is cool is not always what others deem equally exciting. So, none of us know your particular situation, but, after thinking real hard on things, what do you think is correct, and will your family support you at least emotionally if not financially in your decision? Only you can decide what is right for you!

Deep thoughts,
K

Last edited:
<-- 35 here, just accepted after 3 tries. If this is what ou truly want, you don't give up until you get it. I also I a little scared about the whole thing. I'm quitting my job of 9 years.... selling my house, trying to buy a house. Very stessful, but I know I'm doing the right thing. I absolutely love my current job... but for me, going to vet school is innate. I always wanted it, but had many things get in the way over the years.

Glad someone on here beats me by a year (YEAH GUPPY73 :love: )

Woohoo non-trads!!!

A year? Philo, I beat you by..um...well I started vet school 7 years older than you are now.

This is one contest that I don't mind losing. ;)

I posted a response to this same thread on the vet student forum, so I'll just cut and paste here:

I will be 33 next month and I am just starting vet school this fall. There were a lot of serious issues I had to work out in my head before doing this; and I spent the last 2 years making huge sacrifices so I could get all the classes / experience I needed to apply, not knowing if it would pay off or not!! Well now here I am, accepted for c/o 2013.

I am very happy but I would not go around for another cycle had I not been accepted. I also decided halfway through this year's cycle that if I didn't get into my in-state school that I would not go. It's just a huge debt to take on in these uncertain times. Money is a huge factor, and something that needs to be seriously considered.

It is important to remember that there are other careers that are just as special and have less schooling / debt load. For me personally, had I not gotten in I would have gone for an MPH, 2 years full time and starting salaries at $70K+. I also considered PA, about the same stats for that. Vet school? Triple the debt load, 4 years and starting salaries around $60K. People always talk about the "passion for the animals" but let me tell you, that get's real old real fast when you are struggling to pay your loans every month and still living like a pauper even after you are a DVM. Just ask some of the new grads out there.

Anyway, it (amazingly) worked out for me - I got into my in-state, my SO will be coming with me, and my mom even offered to kick in $10K / year (yay for mom!). :)

So I will happily be off to vet school for the next four years. As for starting a family? I have to feel that out still. I don't have any kids yet and I will be 37 when I graduate. I figure I will try to have 2 kids immediately after school, then embark on my career. But of course that is all up for debate. :)

A year? Philo, I beat you by..um...well I started vet school 7 years older than you are now.

Critter.... ...I was in no way ignoring you..... um, just picking on Guppy... :D

Shouldn't you be studying!?!?!?! :D :love:

But you are my hero...when i think about how stressful this will be...I keep remembering your story, AND you have kids. You definitely get the superhero award for balancing it all. I don't know how you do it.

I have some of the pre-reqs done. How can I find out which schools are friendly to non-trads..call them directly?

I know Tufts, Wisconsin, Minnesota are very interested in non-traditional students and Illinois is looking to actively recruit more non-trads :).

That's what I got from my research. I would suggest that you go and visit the schools, if you can over the course of your pre-reqs completion. I did that and was offered advice specific to my situation! Good luck!