Any Nontrad apply with undergrad record >10 yrs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasflip

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation. It's been a little over 10 years since I graduated with a fairly competitive overall & science GPA.

Based on TMDSAS in Texas, there's no expiration for science courses taken when applying to med school (unlike vet school, for example).

I'm planning on taking the MCAT in the near future and completely focusing full-time on getting over that hurdle. While I'm a little concerned about the time-gap from when I last took the core science courses, I'm confident that I can still do well on the MCAT. Will Adcoms look down on the fact that it's been a few years since I actually took an undergraduate science course?

I guess as a non-traditional applicant, I'm seeing some people on here who are doing post-bacc programs prior to going through the whole process. I'm curious whether there are those in my similar situation who have had success without going the post-bacc route.

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

According to an AdCom I spoke with - If your pre-reqs are old but you do great on the MCAT then your fine. But if you have old prereqs and your mcat scores bites they are going to assume you forgot everything

My situation is very similar to yours. I was strongly encouraged by Texas med schools to reprove my academic prowess with some upper division science courses. It doesn't have to be a formal post bacc. It also functions to show that its more than just deciding "hmm I'm bored this year I think I'll apply to med school, I could use a couple hundred grand boost to my income."

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduated with BA in 1993. Yep, no typo. Did my pre-req classes at a CC from 1999-2003. Had caregiver responsibilities for several years for ill family member. Med school went on back burner for awhile. Took MCAT in 2009 as well as a biochem class. Accepted to DO school in second app cycle and will start school in ten weeks! :)

If you already completed all the pre reqs and feel you can review everything on your own for the MCAT, I wouldn't bother with a post bac. Post bacs are for people who haven't taken the pre-reqs or need to bring up their GPA. I think it is a good idea to take some upper level bio classes, though, like biochem (required by some med schools these days) or genetics. It shows the adcoms you can still function in a classroom.

I was 8 years from graduation from undergrad when I applied (10 years from those darn O-chem and Physics courses). And my O-chem and physics grades weren't awesome. So I took O-chem again (2 semesters, night classes) and got a great grade and a decent MCAT score.

And I used it in my personal statement... to prove that I wanted this so bad that I took courses while working full time and kids at home. (There was a deep and meaningful, but punchy, and tear-jerking clinical story worked in too, of course). And I got in. In-state, EDP.

And I think its legit piece of evidence to show that you can indeed handle academics again.

Personally, I'd think twice about post-bacc. I've got friends with serious debt, second-guessing themselves about why they didn't just take the classes they needed. I feel like post-bacc pre-med is often a big marketing scheme & moneymaker (I'm looking at you California). And holy proliferation--geez! Are there double the amount of programs there were 4 years ago, or is it just me? Originally, I was thinking about a post-bac, but for me I think I was mostly just scared of applying and being rejected... and a post-bac felt like more of a security blanket. In retrospect, so glad I decided not to go that route!

I think they can be right for some people, but if you've already got the classes done... just show that you've still got the magic + the increased awesomeness that comes with maturity, right? Good luck!

I was in a very similar situation. I graduated with a BS in Biology in 2001, worked for 10 years and then decided to go to med school. I took the MCAT in 2010 and applied without any post-bacc classes and managed to get into PCOM.

Like someone said above, as long as you show that you can do well on the MCAT, I don't think the ADCOMs will care that you graduated 10 years ago. Although, they will probably question you at the interview if you think you'll be able to handle coursework considering being out of the academic race for a while.

Now, had I not been accepted, I probably would have taken some Post-Bacc classes to make me more competitive for the next year's application. But luckily, I got in on the first go-around. Best of luck!

I wasn't in your situation - there was no such thing as O-chem when I took my undergrad degree in Business. I would think, though, that - even if your MCAT score is good or you expect it to be good - that a few current upper-division science courses on your transcript would be a good idea.

I do remember in an interview when I was asked whether I had enjoyed an astronomy course that appeared in my science GPA. I just said, "That was 1979, you know" and let it trail off... he got a good laugh out of it.

B.S. Business - Accountancy 1983
:whistle: long time passes

Post bacc 2009-10

Mcat - ok, not great

Got a few interviews and accepted. Good 'nuf.

I think the post bacc helped, but the previous work counted too.

They are ticking boxes for school work and lookin for exceptionalism somewhere, anywhere in your app.

Last edited:
I graduated in 1997 from UG, finished two grad degrees by 2001. been working for the last decade and just got accepted.:D decent mcat.