Any Opinions on CUNY, Long Island University, or Adelphi?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhDorBust

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN users!

I'm currently gearing up to apply for Ph.D clinical psychology programs next fall so it's been pretty encouraging (and scary :D) to read some great success stories. Congrats to everyone who got into programs so far!

As I start looking at schools, I know that I want to attend a program that is more psychodynamic in orientation. I so far have CUNY, Long Island University, and Adelphi on my list as I'd like to try and remain in New York.

I've done some research on them to at least figure last year's acceptance rates, tuition costs, etc. But does anyone know anybody in these programs that might have further information?

Is one program particularly prestigious above another? Does one program create any sense of solidarity amongst its cohorts?

Anymore in depth information will be much appreciated! Please feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was thinking about starting a similar post. I don't have any answers for you about your programs of interest. But, I thought this might be a good thread to gain information about various programs. (PhDorBust, if you don't like this idea, just let me know, and I will remove this post.)

I'm also looking into programs for next year's application cycle. I was wondering if anyone had any information on any of the following school psychology programs: Indiana University, Oregon, U. of South Carolina.

all i know is that CUNY and Adelphi are very psychodynamically oriented; I dont think LIU is as much. It depends on what you are looking for. CUNY did not seem like they had strong relationships between the students, but that was my impression from when I interviewed. If you want to stay in NYC, St Johns is a good program; there is also Fordham and Columbia University to think about...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been impressed with Adelphi students and graduates I've met -- assuming you know psychodynamic is your thing, because it is very analytic.

CUNY's APA accreditation is currently probationary while they add some courses. I don't really know what this means and I fully admit it could be nothing but it's certainly something I'd look into if I were going to apply there.

As I start looking at schools, I know that I want to attend a program that is more psychodynamic in orientation. I so far have CUNY, Long Island University, and Adelphi on my list as I'd like to try and remain in New York.

Please do a search, many of the NYC programs have been discussed previously.