Any other new ER Scribes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cambino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is anyone else who was recently accepted to the 5-day training for ER scribe training in Fort Worth, TX. They just sent my ticket, and I'm excited!
Did anyone else apply to this program? Supposed to be national.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if there is anyone else who was recently accepted to the 5-day training for ER scribe training in Fort Worth, TX. They just sent my ticket, and I'm excited!

Did they pay for your ticket?!... I got the e-mail as well but i didn't look into it too much since im planning on working as an EMT.

Umm... is this a program where you go there and get "certified" as a scribe? Because if it is, it's a bunch of cr*p. Don't do it. Scribing is great but there is NO reason you should be paying for training and it's not going to get you hired any faster, at least not in my area. Scribe programs generally train their own scribes. Further, training a scribe requires extensive training under that hospital's EMR, so a national scribe program wouldn't really be practical. About the only thing a generalized program could teach would be medical terminology and that shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours to get down. It's knowing which labs to order, how to monitor results, the general ED workflow, etc. that is critical. And those are all hospital-specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed, that sounds sketchy. most places train their own scribes.

I will start my scribe training in January...and it will be take place at the hospital where I am working at. Never heard of the 5 day program.

Umm... is this a program where you go there and get "certified" as a scribe? Because if it is, it's a bunch of cr*p. Don't do it. Scribing is great but there is NO reason you should be paying for training and it's not going to get you hired any faster, at least not in my area. Scribe programs generally train their own scribes. Further, training a scribe requires extensive training under that hospital's EMR, so a national scribe program wouldn't really be practical. About the only thing a generalized program could teach would be medical terminology and that shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours to get down. It's knowing which labs to order, how to monitor results, the general ED workflow, etc. that is critical. And those are all hospital-specific.

+1 I was under the impression most training is site specific, and let's be real. No amount of training is going to prepare you for the craziness of a major trauma hospital. It's sink or swim for ER Scribes (more so for scribes than ER Techs or Ortho Techs).

Also, different hospitals use different charting programs (or so I was told), protocol is obviously different (small vs. large hospital), etc.

That being said, CONGRATS! Scribing is great experience and will help prepare you for medical school.

Last edited:
Whoops - I should have been more clear.
The program pays for the airplanes tickets, room and meals. The program has several centers nationwide, but in my case, the program is brand new in my location so I have to be flown out to their headquaters in TX. I don't have to pay a cent, but the application/recruiting process itself is very competitive - perhaps their way of awarding merit is to pay for it all? I'm not being certified for anything; I'm being trained for my job. After my training, I'll be an ER Scribe at the local hospital in my own town and it will be accompanied with further, hands-on training.

The program pays for the airplanes tickets, room and meals. The program has several centers nationwide, but in my case, the program is brand new in my location so I have to be flown out to their headquaters in TX. I don't have to pay a cent, but the application/recruiting process itself is very competitive - perhaps their way of awarding merit is to pay for it all? I'm not being certified for anything; I'm being trained for my job. After my training, I'll be an ER Scribe at the local hospital in my own town and it will be accompanied with further, hands-on training.
Sounds good, as long as they are not making you pay them for the training :thumbup:

This is good.

You'll be fine. Good luck! Enjoy scribing!