Any other URM or fellow college athletes out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krdeuce

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how stats of similar applicants who were accepted look. I'm applying this round as a Hispanic Division I athlete, so extracurriculars are good, stats are very average for this site: 19 AA/18 TS/18 PAT, GPA too, with a 3.55 overall and 3.3 science. Anybody else out there? At the risk of starting another "what are my chances" thread, I just want to see how admission committees look at these other factors

Members don't see this ad.

I am almost the exact same as you. Just finished competing in the SEC for four years, and waiting to hear for an interview. I had a 21 on my PAT but a little lower GPA, like a 3.52. I only applied to one school this year- I will let you know how it goes. Have you applied anywhere? I know it definitely helps to be an athlete in med school, but not sure how much dental schools take that into perspective. Kind of scary, because I know my grades would be much better if I hadn't competed!

Division II football here. Unfortunately my first two semesters of college were poor with trying to balance athletics and academics for the first time resulting in a 3.37 overall and a 3.28 science. Pretty average DAT with 20 AA/ 21 TS/ 18 PAT. I was just voted captain and have some pretty good volunteer experiences so I'm definitely going with the "well-rounded individual" approach! But yes I agree on the fact that my grades would be better without competing! Looking back on my transcript, my Fall (football season) GPAs are on average about .2-.3 lower when compared to the Spring (offseason).

Members don't see this ad :)
So it sounds like we're all pretty much in the same position...I guess we'll find out how the take these factors into account soon, good luck!

I am almost the exact same as you. Just finished competing in the SEC for four years, and waiting to hear for an interview. I had a 21 on my PAT but a little lower GPA, like a 3.52. I only applied to one school this year- I will let you know how it goes. Have you applied anywhere? I know it definitely helps to be an athlete in med school, but not sure how much dental schools take that into perspective. Kind of scary, because I know my grades would be much better if I hadn't competed!

S-E-C-S-E-C-S-E-C-S-E-C-S-E-C!

If I were Adcom's, I'd give you all the interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Big Ten Div I athlete. Applied to 11 schools. First time applicant. 3 interview invites so far.
DAT AA: 20

Reactions: 2 users
Have any of you heard anything yet? I definitely regret just applying to one school as I haven't heard from them yet. I spoke to the head of admissions the other day and he said, "You're not out of the run yet, but there's about 70 other applicants who have similar academic credentials...". Basically just washing away that I was an athlete as it seems I'm in the same boat as other students. That could just be this school though! Hope you all have heard from someone by now!

Have any of you heard anything yet? I definitely regret just applying to one school as I haven't heard from them yet. I spoke to the head of admissions the other day and he said, "You're not out of the run yet, but there's about 70 other applicants who have similar academic credentials...". Basically just washing away that I was an athlete as it seems I'm in the same boat as other students. That could just be this school though! Hope you all have heard from someone by now!

That's interesting, I've gotten 3 interviews so far, and have already had my interview with Creighton. The admissions officer from there made it sound like they definitely have a preference for athletes, as they know how rigorous that is alongside being a full-time student. Maybe apply to a couple more schools?

D1 lacrosse here,
GPA (science, overall) 3.68/3.63
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/23/21/24/ none (18 on QR)

Ive gotten 4 interview invites so far (applied to 7 schools) and my app completion date was 9/12 (although I did have everything but my last rec letter submitted on 7/18 or 7/25 I think). Temple, NYU, Penn, Columbia. I have a few family friends who are dentists, and they say that the admissions office understands and appreciates the hard work of athletes, but not to count on that getting you in, its just a unique "advantage". But a buddy of mine who was a D1 golfer at my school, with almost exactly the same stats as me, had no problem getting in. Got 4 acceptances and is currently a first year at Penn dental.

Urm 21 aa Gpa about a 3.6 I have 6 interviews and applied to 11 schools.

Track and field D1, hispanic athlete here with 3.7 GPA and 21 AA.

I've discovered schools love my sports involvement, among my other EC's. Makes you really stand out amongst the crowd! I've had interview invites at UCSF, NOVA, University of Colorado, UoP, Columbia, and Midwestern-IL. The odds are in your favor. :)

URM viva mexico! on the other side im still competing the reqs