Any public school teachers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeamBorealis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a middle school teacher looking to apply next cycle, would love to talk to fellow educators about their experience!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! 5th grade Science teacher applying this cycle. 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and counting (hopefully!). What can I tell you?

Hello! 5th grade Science teacher applying this cycle. 4 interviews, 1 acceptance and counting (hopefully!). What can I tell you?

Hey that's awesome! I've only been teaching for 1 year. I completed teacher's college through an Undergraduate program, and I teach 7th grade Life Science.

I was wondering, how much did your teaching job get brought up in interviews? At this point, it's a huge focus of my PS. I'm hoping to snag a few II's! And that is awesome about your acceptance, hopefully you see many more!

I'm a VA Resident so I'm hoping my state shows me some love next cycle, but am also submitting to TX schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been teaching for three years. I ended up talking a good bit about teaching. Medical schools really like teachers because we continue to teach in medicine - working with medical students/ residents/ teaching patients about their health concerns/ etc. I also had to be prepared to explain why I was leaving teaching and ready to go further in debt to do more schooling, so you should have an answer that doesn't sound like sour grapes. I told them what it was like to have 20 wiggling 11 year olds in a room and try to communicate anything to them, and about my struggles to realize just how much they DON'T know.

I'm a Texas resident and applied only through TMDSAS. If you have questions about any Texas schools, I might be able to help. :) Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I taught elementary school for 3 years and have held other teaching/tutoring positions. That was the basis of my PS. I have been on 4 interviews so far, and teaching has come up in all of them, including in one MMI. One of the schools is going through a curriculum change, and I happened to interview with one of the curriculum designers. We spent a decent amount of time talking about curriculum and medical education. I was nervous that my questions made me sound too critical, but I ended up getting in, so it may have even worked in my favor. I agree with what @clairephillips said; med schools love the connection to teaching, and as long as your passion for both is real, it will likely make you a better candidate.