Any schools to recommend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MPHTarget

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to know what schools you guys would recommend to an international student who does not have a medical background? Global Health and policy, mainly.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I only know about east coast schools:
Washington University in St. Louis
Boston University
Emory
Icahn School of Medicine
NYU
Tulane
U Miami

Thank you :)

I'm only applying to east coast schools anyway (except for UCSF but I'm not quite sure since it's not even listed in the rankings I've checked so far).

BU is my top choice at the moment ... However, I read on a different forum that spending such a huge amount of money on this school is not worth it. Yes, the tuition is quite high but the program sounds very interesting. The curriculum fits my expertise aspirations perfectly. This person also stated that as compared to other schools', BU's program isn't competitive at all. (Link: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/32457-is-the-debt-worth-it-for-boston-universitys-mph/). Obviously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and bias is to be expected but this individual's post makes me second-guess my choice. I'll apply regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
True, but if you read the replies you have to take their opinion with a grain of salt. BU was actually my first choice as well, but I got a substantial scholarship at another school that financially it wasn't worth it to me. Also, I visited Wash U and really liked their program, they are new and have fewer connections but the program is very supportive. On the other hand, I know people who went to BU and said that paying all that money was worth it to them because of the connections they made and their overall experience, since Boston is one of the biggest hubs on the east coast for global health. I would still apply to all the schools that you want, don't limit yourself right now because finances will probably play a big role. When I was applying I didn't expect to even get into BU and get a scholarship and I never would have imagined turning it down. I've spent hours scouring the web, but the best advice is if possible try to visit the program(s) once you have been accepted and narrowed down your choices.

I would add Columbia and UNC-Chapel Hill to that list.

While not public health per se, there are some interesting programs at Georgetown that combine various biological sciences (mainly ID-related) with public policy; at least there were back when I was looking 3-4 year ago. American might well have some similar opportunities.

Thank you :)

I'm only applying to east coast schools anyway (except for UCSF but I'm not quite sure since it's not even listed in the rankings I've checked so far).

BU is my top choice at the moment ... However, I read on a different forum that spending such a huge amount of money on this school is not worth it. Yes, the tuition is quite high but the program sounds very interesting. The curriculum fits my expertise aspirations perfectly. This person also stated that as compared to other schools', BU's program isn't competitive at all. (Link: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/32457-is-the-debt-worth-it-for-boston-universitys-mph/). Obviously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and bias is to be expected but this individual's post makes me second-guess my choice. I'll apply regardless.

BU's your top choice? NOFI, I wouldn't go there for global health b/c there's a whole world of schools that offer freakishly awesome global health courses and extracurriculars presumptively surpassing BU, like Johns Hopkins, Emory, Harvard, UNC, Columbia, Tulane, even GW has its contacts in DC. BU works hard on advertising, but there isn't a reason to believe their standing tall in a crowded room with a lot of other schools. Go to a good school, don't touch one with bu's tuition if you want global health longterm.

Also, I visited Wash U and really liked their program, they are new and have fewer connections but the program is very supportive.

Wash U's a great school on so many levels. Just b/c a school doesn't officially have a formal gh prog going back a couple decades, doesn't mean they don't have experience in the fields that make up gh.

I rec. BUSPH! I go there and you will get a great job. Visit the schools and talk to REAL students not just people online. GW global health? I would not say so. Yep, Emory ,Tulane, and Hopkins for sure.

I rec. BUSPH! I go there and you will get a great job. Visit the schools and talk to REAL students not just people online. GW global health? I would not say so. Yep, Emory ,Tulane, and Hopkins for sure.

GW has an advantage as a lot of international health policy decisions go down in DC. U didn't mention your concentration b/c this thread is focused on global health/policy, and going into that field often requires working low paying jobs in countries outside the US for a time, to say nothing of fluctuations in funding for global health which can lead to a frequent and never ending search for jobs, BU is especially suited for healthcare professionals like nurses and doctors who want to add on a degree and who may getting outside funding for their degree. That's why a lot of BU's courses are at night, to ask a freshly minted undergrad to pay retail 4 a BU MPH degree is silly, but BU does it. The "you will get a great job" doesn't square with reality at BU as some grads undoubtedly spend a good chunk of time looking for work, even happens at top public health schools.

RUN from UIC, they are horrible. See for urself, go in person and meet the profs. I got free money and passed on them!

??? UIC is ranked something like #16, and BU is tied for 12/11 with Univ of Pitt, ain't a lot of daylight between these schools, except that BU is very expensive, esp. given the city.

Last edited:
Wash U's a great school on so many levels. Just b/c a school doesn't officially have a formal gh prog going back a couple decades, doesn't mean they don't have experience in the fields that make up gh.

I don't deny they have a good program nor am I discrediting them, obviously I chose a school that I feel is the best fit.

I don't deny they have a good program nor am I discrediting them, obviously I chose a school that I feel is the best fit.

Right, I apologize if you thought the comment was directed at you. I was just commenting in general that WashU has a great reputation and that there are a lot more great educational tracks worth pursuing on the path towards a global health career than just schools that explicitly advertise this.

GW has an advantage as a lot of international health policy decisions go down in DC. U didn't mention your concentration b/c this thread is focused on global health/policy, and going into that field often requires working low paying jobs in countries outside the US for a time, to say nothing of fluctuations in funding for global health which can lead to a frequent and never ending search for jobs, BU is especially suited for healthcare professionals like nurses and doctors who want to add on a degree and who may getting outside funding for their degree. That's why a lot of BU's courses are at night, to ask a freshly minted undergrad to pay retail 4 a BU MPH degree is silly, but BU does it. The "you will get a great job" doesn't square with reality at BU as some grads undoubtedly spend a good chunk of time looking for work, even happens at top public health schools.

Take this for what it's worth, but I personally know 3 people who graduated with BU MPH and work at international health agencies/firms in the DC area. I was actually surprised by this because I didn't expect to meet so many BU MPH graduates working in the same area. So saying that a BU MPH degree in international health and can't get you a job in international health is false. Of the colleagues of these individuals, most don't even have MPH degrees--many have economics degrees.

So saying that a BU MPH degree in international health and can't get you a job in international health is false. Of the colleagues of these individuals, most don't even have MPH degrees--many have economics degrees.

Not sure who said you "can't get a job in the international health field" with an MPH from BU. It seems a BUSPH student said that you'll get a 'great job' after doing the mph at BU, aside the fact that students pump the rep of their own schools, DEBYR as nothing is 100%, the job market can be trying at times, for all mph'ers.

If you want to work in D.C., I do know that GWU has great connections to employers in the area, and going to GWU would give an applicant a leg up.

I just had to chime in. I'm a BUSPH alum who was an epi concentrator. I found my experiences there to be extraordinarily helpful to my current career. I left Boston after graduation and my BU degree is extremely well respected. I honestly think it has helped me get to where I am today.

But what about the high tuition? FWIW, I think that BU might well be out of a lot of applicant's price range given both the high cost of tuition & rent in a big city. Earlier you posted and said,

Honestly, I don't think it matters that much. I've been out working in the field now for about 3 years. I would go with the less expensive option. It's not worth carrying around a ton of student debt for an MPH. Emory and Harvard are both excellent programs. Going to Emory does not limit you to the CDC.

I went to a top 12 program and I have work as a research biostatistician. Honestly once you're out and working, most people care a lot more about your experience.

Interesting how people's perception of what is important can change over time, or maybe Emory and Harvard are equally well regarded. Did you get reduced tuition at BU, like also being employed by BU? Seems a lot of folks by necessity do this.

Not so sure BU is consistently well known outside of the northeast either, where are you now?

Last edited:
Not so sure BU is consistently well known outside of the northeast either, where are you now?

I don't know much about the coastlines of how those people look at MPH programs, but the only place that really has the national rankings among the SOPHA accredited schools has Boston U at #11. Yeah maybe it is no Harvard, Emory, Michigan, UNC, Columbia, or Johns Hopkins, but it is probably a very good school for the East coast.
Even at the undergrad level, Boston University is well established in my eyes. I bet it is even a top 30 undergrad university in the nation. There are a lot of great schools in the east, but I bet if you

But what about the high tuition? FWIW, I think that BU might well be out of a lot of applicant's price range given both the high cost of tuition & rent in a big city. Earlier you posted and said,

Interesting how people's perception of what is important can change over time, or maybe Emory and Harvard are equally well regarded. Did you get reduced tuition at BU, like also being employed by BU? Seems a lot of folks by necessity do this.

Stop antagonizing people's posts to the point they want to delete their posts.

I don't see how BU is alone in being in an expensive city with high tuition and living costs. Any school in any of Boston, New York, DC, San Francisco, LA (with the exception of public universities) will have these same traits.

As for whether or not people recognize the degree outside of the north east, the answer is yes. Before I decided to continue on for a PhD, I had several job offers out west (California and New Mexico) and two of the interviewers mentioned they had several staffers with a BU MPH.

Reactions: 1 user