Any strange-sport playing pre-meds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caribou

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I play kayak water polo, what do you do?

Members don't see this ad.

1999 Thumb Wrestling Champion at my High School. I retired in 2000 when I faced my first defeat in university. However, I'm thinking of making a comeback.

I fence all the time and compete a lot. I also do Ballroom and Latin dancing but haven't competed in dancing yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do Latin dancing also: salsa. And yoga. I am not sure that I'd consider either of them to be terribly "strange" other than that not many younger people do those things compared with football or basketball.

QofQuimica said:
I do Latin dancing also: salsa. And yoga. I am not sure that I'd consider either of them to be terribly "strange" other than that not many younger people do those things compared with football or basketball.

Have you ever tried Bikram Yoga? It's intense!

Another fencer here. Still recreational though, only just beginning to consider the competing because it's such a major time investment
Cunam, what's your weapon of choice? I started on foil and moved to sabre, but have been dying to try epee

I used to fence. Fun sport.

Now how the hell is fencing a "strange-sport"? If you'd play frolf (frisbee golf) competitively, then that would be strange.

scuba dive , I am not sure how weird that is .

I play rugby. Also Scuba dive.

I played squash in college, after I injured my shoudler and coudlnt play tennis anymore

Members don't see this ad :)
skimboarding! :D

bet no one's heard of it! :p

a variation of surfing, but no big 50-foot waves.. :cool:
instead, just about 3-5 inches (yes, inches) of water to skim on...
think skateboarding on very shallow waters minus the wheels but basically same technique

Is that the same as Gaelic football?

And what's that sport where people throw logs? I think that's Scottish.

Kayak water polo??? Where do you live that you play that? Is it a team sport?

Kazema said:
I think that's called tossing the caber.

I used to be a competitive gymnast, and I kinda miss it sometimes but that sport is impossible to keep up casually.

Kayak water polo, eh? Well, at least you don't have to worry about the horses drowning.

I was into ice skating growing up, but my family and I had to move due to a war. Once we were settled in the U.S., I never picked it back up. I do regret it, but I doubt I would have been able to balance the rigorous training on a daily basis.

Caribou said:
I play kayak water polo, what do you do?

I played intercollegiate Ultimate Frisbee.

I've water skied competitively for four years. I guess that's not very strange, but not many people do it, and everyone asks me if it really exists. I also have played intramural inner tube water polo. I don't know if that is exclusive to KSU.

sockandmittens said:
Kayak water polo??? Where do you live that you play that? Is it a team sport?

I'm in San Diego. It's played 5 on 5. There are teams in Austin, Boston, San Francisco and LA. It's a lot bigger in Canada and Europe.

It's nice to see the other fencers representing.

chitown82 said:

haha cricket.. thats only "strange" here in the U.S..... :laugh:

When I was a pre-med I played competitive pickleball down at the Y in the Senior's Division. I wasn't a senior citizen but they let me play so long as I kept my shoelaces tied together.

wheelchair rugby

antissa said:
Another fencer here. Still recreational though, only just beginning to consider the competing because it's such a major time investment
Cunam, what's your weapon of choice? I started on foil and moved to sabre, but have been dying to try epee

Fencers converge on the thread and fleche, ripping it from everyone else! :)
I fence foil mainly, and then epee. I actually teach it at ULouisville PE department...it's how I financed living during grad school! I just went to the Denver NAC and didn't do very good, 13-15 loss first round :-(
Fencing is totally awesome.

Ultramarathon - 50-100Km...only because I'm too slow to run the shorter races.

Kazema said:
Is that the same as Gaelic football?

No - Hurling is kinda like if Field Hockey and Lacross had a love-child. At least that's the best description I can think of.
Props to you for knowing what Gaelic is though.

I don't know what the log thing is - I'll ask around at work they might know.

Dr. Weebs said:
I played intercollegiate Ultimate Frisbee.

Awww, ultimate is weird? I guess that makes me weird too. Who'd you play with? I played down at UC Davis on the women's team (the Pleiades).

The Ultimate culture in Austin is damn weird. It's a perfect manifestation of the Austin mindset actually. Very laid back, into nature, too hippy for me though.

But good lord it'll get you in shape. Cali ultimate always dominated us.

Anybody ever play broomball or inner-tube water polo? The former is hockey without skates, a puck, or hockey sticks. Instead you run around the rink in tennis shoes and swat at a 6" ball with small plastic brooms. Otherwise same rules as hockey. Inner-tube water polo is water polo where you have to stay in an inner tube the whole time... it's not quite as physical.

Competitive ballroom and latin dancing...it's a workout AND it's sexy ;)

SitraAchra said:
The Ultimate culture in Austin is damn weird. It's a perfect manifestation of the Austin mindset actually. Very laid back, into nature, too hippy for me though.

Austin is weird in general - Not that I'm complaining, I have that "Keep Austin Wierd" bumper sticker on my Jeep back home (and all that serves to do in CS is get your car keyed.)

I think Ultimate culture is wierd everywhere - Everyone I have ever met who played Ultimate has been very laid back and hippie-esque. Even in College Station.

I do archery. It's not weird, just not a lot of archers out there.

outrigger canoeing! :D not wierd, just different ...

melovet said:
I do archery. It's not weird, just not a lot of archers out there.

I did that when I was living in the States; it was really rewarding I thought. I started out really bad because I should be a left-handed archer but I write and everything else with my right. After a year of practice I wasn't half-bad though.

dopaminophile said:
Anybody ever play broomball or inner-tube water polo? The former is hockey without skates, a puck, or hockey sticks. Instead you run around the rink in tennis shoes and swat at a 6" ball with small plastic brooms. Otherwise same rules as hockey. Inner-tube water polo is water polo where you have to stay in an inner tube the whole time... it's not quite as physical.

I love innertube water polo! Not quite as physical but a hell of a lot more fun as far as I was concerned! Only got to play the first couple of years of college since my friends and I could never get teams together. Plus, with the exception of our one high former water polo star, we really sucked. But we still had a blast and I guess that's the whole point of IMs...

Rock climbing. Swing dancing (lindy hop). My days of competing in both though are over. Competing in rock climbing kind of killed it for me. And then my knees got tired of aerials. I still do both recreationally though. Just got back from climbing at Red Rocks, 13 miles outside of Las Vegas. 80 degrees and sunny. Doesn't get any better for a Bostonian in March.

I loooooooove water polo. I started on the team in college, but then I met rock climbing. I'm also interested in martial arts. Hoping to pick that up in med school.

The past year I have been working as a full-time musher (aka dog sled driver). Unfortunatly I still haven't heard from Dartmouth which is one of the few schools I can attend and still drive dogs. I don't think my alaskan husky would be to happy pulling a sled in atlanta

I play beach volleyball, it's not weird, but it's relatively unpopular and no one has mentioned it so far (which is suprising, considering all the Cali people here). I also Scuba Dive and used to fence, but gave that up after struggling in Bio.

I fenced sabre. Foil is fun but a little too "fancy pants" to me.

I miss watching fencing in high definition last summer during the olympics. Nothing hotter to me than female fencing, sadly.

medstyle said:
I fenced sabre. Foil is fun but a little too "fancy pants" to me.

I miss watching fencing in high definition last summer during the olympics. Nothing hotter to me than female fencing, sadly.

I never got into sabre really. I know the basics. I just can't scream after every point. ;-)