Any student pursing medicine who were bad at science or math at first?

Monkey.King

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there's any med or premed students out there who were either bad at science or math at first, or didn't really show an interest in the sciences until their college years. I will start college with a weak science background, due to taking environmental science 1&2 in 11-12, and I never really been too good with math. But I know with some starter classes I can overcome the science issue, and I am putting fourth the effort and dedication to become better at math in order to pursue what I know I want to do in life.

Members don't see this ad.

I am, but I also haven't gone very far yet. I'm still in my first 2 prereqs.

My .02: change your study habits ASAP. As-in ten minutes ago ASAP. Humanities and social sciences don't bother weeding students out. Guess who does?

I was just wondering if there's any med or premed students out there who were either bad at science or math at first, or didn't really show an interest in the sciences until their college years. I will start college with a weak science background, due to taking environmental science 1&2 in 11-12, and I never really been too good with math. But I know with some starter classes I can overcome the science issue, and I am putting fourth the effort and dedication to become better at math in order to pursue what I know I want to do in life.
Check out @md-2020 's thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't really say I was 'bad' at science or math per se but I wasn't really interested in biology until my junior year (I had some sucky teachers and profs and didn't see it as useful at first). But, I will say that it's a good thing you have a clue of your weaknesses prior to starting college. This means you can come up with a plan of attack so that you get the most out of those classes and do well in them. There are plenty of resources online that will help in almost all the sciences and math. I'll just list a few that I've used in the past (I'm sure others will also chime in):

math - Paul Dawkin's Math Notes - awesome for algebra, calc I-III, differential equations.
khan academy - good refresher for science topics
Google - type in a question and most likely someone's already answered it in an understandable manner.

Also change your attitude - if you think that a subject will be tough, adjust your studying habits. Don't let your fears or perceptions of something derail you from getting good grades and mastering the subject. Also try to read the textbook before class. Every college course gives out their syllabus the first day so you know what you have to read - try not to fall behind. Make flashcards. Do extra practice problems. Don't stress out too much if you don't understand something at first - it happens to the best of us. Regroup and get help. Make sure you use your college's learning/tutoring center, go to office hours, and keep a good study schedule. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I will definitely be doing that. In fact, I told my teacher starting tomorrow, I will be attending coach class. It's hard for me to learn during his class, because he's kind of crazy. I mean the I wouldn't be surprised if he banged his head against the wall during his free time, but he's so much calmer after class, it will be good for me.

my advice is to study..study...and youtube, you can do it!! studying will really help, that's what i didn't do, and when i started to, my grade changed

I have never gotten an A in math in my life and I turned out alright.

Reactions: 1 user