Any success stories of candidates who got into medical with a 3.0 GPA or lower?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bibi7365

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has gotten into medical school with a 3.0 GPA or lower and did not have to enroll in a SMP or get a MS please.... share your story.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a couple people on the DO forum who report 2.9ish gpas, but high MCAT scores (30 and above) and have been successful.

I'm pro DO and probably going to a DO school in the fall, so this is no way derogatory.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are going to have to do an SMP or post-bac most definately if you want to go to school in the US. Perhaps you would have a shot at DO but most likely not with a low GPA.

I feel your woes with a low GPA. I got in with a ~2.8 GPA. However I did have a 33MCAT and spent a year doing an SMP where I got a 4.0.

Thanks a bunch guys.. I am currently leaning towards a post-bacc program... now if only I can find a decent one in Dallas... I really appreciate ya'lls honesty ... when and if I get in... trust me... I will be posting things on here like crazy and give hopes to those poor chumps like me... :D

I got an interview at Drew/UCLA on Feb 24th with an Undergrad GPA 2.6
Grad GPA 3.5 and MCAT 25R

I got an interview at Drew/UCLA on Feb 24th with an Undergrad GPA 2.6
Grad GPA 3.5 and MCAT 25R

chiropractic school? :smuggrin: i know it's been 4 yrs since i applied to med schools, but when did UCLA lower their standards?! Those numbers are :eek:

chiropractic school? :smuggrin: i know it's been 4 yrs since i applied to med schools, but when did UCLA lower their standards?! Those numbers are :eek:

From what I've heard Drew doesn't look at your numbers. They focus mostly on your extracurricular activities especially helping out the undeserved community.

Thanks a bunch guys.. I am currently leaning towards a post-bacc program... now if only I can find a decent one in Dallas... I really appreciate ya'lls honesty ... when and if I get in... trust me... I will be posting things on here like crazy and give hopes to those poor chumps like me... :D

Try looking at TCOM's master of science. It's difficult, but you take some classes with med students, so I've heard.

FYI, I have a science GPA of 3.2 and got 4 texas interviews...no acceptance, but that may be more due to a late application.....yay new tmdsas system :thumbdown: