Any Suggestions for volunteering at a vet clinic in MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Horsez2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to volunteer at a veterinary clinic over the summer for experience and I really need some suggestions. I don't know many places in maryland that do veterinary volunteering.. :( I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!!!! I'm a Freshman btw.

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to figure out if a clinic allows volunteers/shadows is to just visit or call them and politely ask. It may take a lot of rejections and 'No's before you find someone willing to have you, but hopefully you eventually find someone.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you close to the VA/MD border? If so, PM me. My clinic takes shadows, but not volunteers.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're near Baltimore, I know of one that quite few people in my class have gone through. I think they even have it set up as an internship type thing. I was going to do it but then I got one at the zoo instead. PM if you're interested.

You might also try finding an actual job as a kennel tech or vet assistant. I just googled, "kennel tech [home state]". I got a list of clinics in the area looking for a kennel tech/assistant where your hours working there count as vet experience hours and you get paid. That's allowing to max my time shadowing this summer with as many hours as the clinics are willing to give me because I don't have to have a secondary job in order to afford to shadow (gas money is expensive for a suburban).

If you're near Baltimore, I know of one that quite few people in my class have gone through. I think they even have it set up as an internship type thing. I was going to do it but then I got one at the zoo instead. PM if you're interested.
That sounds amazing! If you could send me some info that'd be great!!!

You might also try finding an actual job as a kennel tech or vet assistant. I just googled, "kennel tech [home state]". I got a list of clinics in the area looking for a kennel tech/assistant where your hours working there count as vet experience hours and you get paid. That's allowing to max my time shadowing this summer with as many hours as the clinics are willing to give me because I don't have to have a secondary job in order to afford to shadow (gas money is expensive for a suburban).
Good Idea... I have an ASPCA near me.. Thank you!

Thanks! but thats really far away from where I live.

No problem, sorry I can't be of direct assistance.

Some places may be more amenable to having you if you start out as a shadow and get to know the vets, techs and office staff. You could also start in the kennel if they have that opportunity and move up the more time you spend there. Be creative with your approach and you'll find something :)

Reactions: 1 users