any thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawkfan26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

First MCAT(June 2011): PS 12, VR 7, BS 11-->30Q

Second MCAT(August 2012): PS 12, VR 9, BS 10-->31N

cGPA: 3.58

sGPA: 3.45

Reapplicant-IA resident

Undergrad ECs:

worked in an anesthesia patient simulator center for 3.5 years

worked in an anesthesia prep room in OR for 3 years

volunteered in an ICU for 3 years

Tutored anatomy, physiology, and chemistry for 2 years

Performed Biochemistry research for 2 years

Gap year ECs

Teaching assistant for anatomy and physiology classes(including physiologylab)

Volunteer at Ronald McDonald House

Research assistant for Virtual Soldier Research group

Applying to: university of iowa, minnesota, missouri, wisonsin, kansas,illinois, nebraska, colorado, vermont, tulane, tufts, boston university,drexel, albany, NYU, new york medical college, dartmouth, penn state, ohiostate, Oakland university, oregon health and science university, rosalind franklin,rush, Michigan state, Loyola, St. Louis

Members don't see this ad.

First MCAT(June 2011): PS 12, VR 7, BS 11-->30Q

Second MCAT(August 2012): PS 12, VR 9, BS 10-->31N

cGPA: 3.58

sGPA: 3.45

Reapplicant-IA resident

Undergrad ECs:

worked in an anesthesia patient simulator center for 3.5 years

worked in an anesthesia prep room in OR for 3 years

volunteered in an ICU for 3 years

Tutored anatomy, physiology, and chemistry for 2 years

Performed Biochemistry research for 2 years

Gap year ECs

Teaching assistant for anatomy and physiology classes(including physiologylab)

Volunteer at Ronald McDonald House

Research assistant for Virtual Soldier Research group

Applying to: university of iowa, minnesota, missouri, wisonsin, kansas,illinois, nebraska, colorado, vermont, tulane, tufts, boston university,drexel, albany, NYU, new york medical college, dartmouth, penn state, ohiostate, Oakland university, oregon health and science university, rosalind franklin,rush, Michigan state, Loyola, St. Louis
You didn't mention your physician shadowing, which should be fairly substantial by now. The improved VS will be helpful. And you've specifically targeted some of the weaknesses of your first application which is good. I see your cGPA is higher, but what about your BCPM GPA? Has that risen too?

Iowa has tradtionally been friendly to a call-in for feedback on one's application. What did they say (if you did this)?

(Go Hawkeyes!)

I am just applying now, so take this with a grain of salt. My stats are very similar to yours though.

I scratched Oregon off the list because they want to see 3.65/32 for OOS. (I am 3.63/32.)

Wisconsin also seems to take pretty high stats for OOSers. That one I left on my list as I was highly interested in it. I got rejected in the first round along with many other OOS applicants on SDN. Their rejection letter was very nice though. :)

If you are interested in OH, consider adding Cincinnati. Many people in my stats range have already scored interviews there, and their admissions office is quite friendly.

HTH!

Members don't see this ad :)
3.58/ 33S OOS for both schools here
I would keep those schools on the list (if the 2 additional 2ndary fees are not too much of a financial burden) as I have not been screened out by either schools...small pooled on Wisconsin...I think this goes to prove that there's more than just GPA/MCAT like some SNDers suggested....I think your list looks great (im complete w/ 2ndary from cincinnati...just waiting for a good news)

Oh, I wish I had known that! Was very interested in Oregon, but I though it was a hard cut-off. :(

Way more to apps than numbers. It frustrates me to see so many posts on the school threads where people say, "I'm 3.9/41. Why are people with lower stats getting interviews?" They don't get it...

I met with an admissions representative from Iowa in April after I was rejected and she mentioned that my VR was too low, I needed more patient contact, and my interview last year was not good enough. I have addressed the MCAT and patient contact issues and have been working on my interview skills this year.

As far as shadowing, I dont have a ton. I shadowed a surgeon for about 30 hours this summer but I have been busy with my other ECs and have found it hard to find time to schedule shadowing opportunities.