Any tips for structuring a DIY post bacc to recover from a low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolverine93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize if something like my question has already been asked, but I haven't been able to find something to completely answer my question.

I graduated with a GPA less than 3.0. My science GPA is also less than a 3.0. Through asking and searching around, it seems like retaking classes as a DIY post bacc would be a good strategy to make myself decently competitive for DO school.

I've also found that most DO schools don't care if you take classes at a CC. I was thinking of retaking a couple pre-req classes I messed up in at a CC.

Here's what I'm thinking of taking at a CC. I get free tuition at my local CC so taking these there saves me a ton of money.

Orgo 1 and 2
Genetics
Molecular and Cellular Bio
Pathophysiology
Human Anatomy and Physiology

I've also seen on a couple posts that if you take classes at a CC you should take at least 12 credits, correct? It seems like med schools frown upon just taking one CC class at a time.

Would it be worth the money for me to take two or three classes at a four year university? Classes like Endocrinology and Immunology, for example? I was thinking this could help show I can handle upper level classes at university level.

For those of you who did a DIY post bacc, how did you structure it? Did you take everything at a CC or 4 year university? Or did you do a combination? How many credits? Did you have a planned order or anything like that?

I was also thinking of working my way up to upper level courses at a university, but finishing pre-reqs at a CC first.

I appreciate any advice. I just want to make my DIY post bacc worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

Need more info.

What are your grades on your pre-reqs? Retake any C's.

I'd also recommend just stay at CC if it's free and you're cool with DO.

Reactions: 1 user
I took just a semester of four science classes at my local CC. That helped raise my GPA about a tenth. One problem I found was the they didn't offer hardly any upper level sciences. The highest they went was Micro and AP. They didn't even offer Genetics or Cell Bio. I would look into this before you go into it so that you know your options. Also, since I took four sciences in one semester, many of them overlapped since most students aren't taking more than one or two sciences. My schedule was HORRIBLE. I would make sure it's even a possibility to take these kind of classes. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Need more info.

What are your grades on your pre-reqs? Retake any C's.

I'd also recommend just stay at CC if it's free and you're cool with DO.

The classes I'm interested in retaking are C's. I got C's on Orgo 1 and 2, a cellular bio, and biochem. I'm not going to retake anything I got better than a C in; I just don't think it's worth my time.