Any tips on Dartmouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tristy

BairesYarnCreation @ etsy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing searches on any info from Dartmouth but I haven't been able to find anything recent..I'll be interviewing in January and I was wondering if you guys know about how long after the interview they notify you of acceptance/rejection, tips on the interview, what's the cheapest way to get there, and stuff like that :D Thank you so much for any info! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Tristy said:
I've been doing searches on any info from Dartmouth but I haven't been able to find anything recent..I'll be interviewing in January and I was wondering if you guys know about how long after the interview they notify you of acceptance/rejection, tips on the interview, what's the cheapest way to get there, and stuff like that :D Thank you so much for any info! :luck:

I had my interview there in late October, and I have been told that there is a formula which gives a numerical value to each applicant. Thus those applicants that are the "Best" are given admissions first. From what I have heard, most people that have already interviewed probably won't hear anything until January!! The day consists of 2 one-on-one interviews, in which you could get a med student, faculty member, or physician. My interviews were really relaxed and I had a grea time, probably the best experience of all of mine so far. But, everyone in my interview pool also felt he/she had great interviews, which gives one a feel that they may be a little too easy and therefore not greatly influence admissions/rejections. For travel, I flew to Manchester Airport and rented a car. The drive is only about 1.5 hours if I remember correctly. Also, if you can get it, stay with a student host. I had a great time with mine, and it beats paying for a hotel room! I hope that helps. Good luck with your interview, and if you be yourself you will do fine!!

Rzarecta said:
I had my interview there in late October, and I have been told that there is a formula which gives a numerical value to each applicant. Thus those applicants that are the "Best" are given admissions first. From what I have heard, most people that have already interviewed probably won't hear anything until January!! The day consists of 2 one-on-one interviews, in which you could get a med student, faculty member, or physician. My interviews were really relaxed and I had a grea time, probably the best experience of all of mine so far. But, everyone in my interview pool also felt he/she had great interviews, which gives one a feel that they may be a little too easy and therefore not greatly influence admissions/rejections. For travel, I flew to Manchester Airport and rented a car. The drive is only about 1.5 hours if I remember correctly. Also, if you can get it, stay with a student host. I had a great time with mine, and it beats paying for a hotel room! I hope that helps. Good luck with your interview, and if you be yourself you will do fine!!

Hi Rzarecta!

Thank you so much for all this information :) , this is my first interview so I'm kindof lost/overwhelmed/nervous but I really can't wait, DMS is one of my favorites :D Did they send you a package or more information after you confirmed your interview date? Do they offer for you to stay with a student host or do you have to ask? I'm planning on getting there the day before and leaving the day of the interview after i'm done, but I'm not sure yet as to what would be best, e.g., flying directly or doing what you did (I'm concerned about driving in the snow). I hope you get great news from them! Thanks again :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Tristy said:

Cool. Where are you travelling from?

It is a little difficult to get out Dartmouth, so I would probably recommend flying into a regional airport and then taking the Amtrak out to NH if you don't feel comfortable driving out in snow.

At Dartmouth, the interviews are kind of rushed: you get two, each of which is 30min only (whereas at most other schools, you get a complete hour). However, the interviews are laid back--probably very few moral questions, ethical dilemmas, etc...

It'll be about you. Check out the SDN interview feedbacks. They're really helpful.

Good luck and God bless,

CM

Cat's Meow said:
Cool. Where are you travelling from?

It is a little difficult to get out Dartmouth, so I would probably recommend flying into a regional airport and then taking the Amtrak out to NH if you don't feel comfortable driving out in snow.

At Dartmouth, the interviews are kind of rushed: you get two, each of which is 30min only (whereas at most other schools, you get a complete hour). However, the interviews are laid back--probably very few moral questions, ethical dilemmas, etc...

It'll be about you. Check out the SDN interview feedbacks. They're really helpful.

Good luck and God bless,

CM

I'll be travelling from good ol' Kansas :oops: I'll look into the option of Amtrak to get there. Thanks for the input! :luck:
PS: did you interview there?
PS2: I'll definitely check the interview feedback (I have been reading some of it and I'm glad to know that the interviews are low stress :D

Tristy said:
I'll be travelling from good ol' Kansas :oops: I'll look into the option of Amtrak to get there. Thanks for the input! :luck:
PS2: I'll definitely check the interview feedback (I have been reading some of it and I'm glad to know that the interviews are low stress :D

I went there in early October, when there wasn't snow. So I was able to drive around.

And you're right not to worry. The people at Dartmouth work hard to make your day as low-stress as possible. For example, when I was there, I checked in a little early and they gave me my schedule and interviewers for the day. In the admissions office, they have a binder full of biographies of all the interviewers, so you can read up on who is going to interview you ahead of time.

Pretty cool.

But Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere...and this isn't necessarily a bad thing, esp. if you are not a city person.

I'm glad to see you 2 midwestern people!!! I am a North Dakotan, so solidarity brothers/sisters!

Rzarecta said:
I'm glad to see you 2 midwestern people!!! I am a North Dakotan, so solidarity brothers/sisters!

:D Thanks Rzarecta and Cat's Meow! I feel a lot better about the whole interview thing :D

Tristy said:
:D Thanks Rzarecta and Cat's Meow! I feel a lot better about the whole interview thing :D

I interviewed there last year. I think the main thing about getting admitted to Dartmouth is to show them that you would really fit into their school. It's a very different type of atmosphere, the students are a little older, Hanover is well Hanover.

I actually flew into Boston and took the Dartmouth Coach bus over to Hanover. They drop you off right on campus. This was the cheapest I could find because flying into one of the smaller airports (unless you can fly Southwestern) is REALLY expensive.

Good luck!

Tristy said:

Tristy,

I'm a native Kansan too! You must be pretty psyched about the interview. I just completed my app there, and it seems like a great program and envrionment. Anyways, from what I've gathered, I agree with another poster in that the school looks for people who would fit in with the unique setting and class. I think the ability to handle the relatively isolated and small city of Hanover may be a big part of that. For what its worth, I work with a former undergrad student and she said that its a great place for the outdoorsy type of person and thats what alot of the people there are.

If you don't mind me asking: when were you complete? and how long did it take for you to hear from them about the interview?

good luck!!

salfrankador said:
Tristy,

I'm a native Kansan too! You must be pretty psyched about the interview. I just completed my app there, and it seems like a great program and envrionment. Anyways, from what I've gathered, I agree with another poster in that the school looks for people who would fit in with the unique setting and class. I think the ability to handle the relatively isolated and small city of Hanover may be a big part of that. For what its worth, I work with a former undergrad student and she said that its a great place for the outdoorsy type of person and thats what alot of the people there are.

If you don't mind me asking: when were you complete? and how long did it take for you to hear from them about the interview?

good luck!!

Yeah, I really can't wait to go to the interview and see how isolated it is :smuggrin: I was complete on 11/3 and the interview notice was dated 11/23. So far it is the only one I have, but, I also applied suuuuper late. Are you applying there too?

Johnisit1234, thanks for the tip on traveling!

Hey all,

I was complete in mid Sept, but I took the Aug MCAT, so more like mid October I guess. No word yet...am I doomed for a rejection letter or is there still hope? Or should I give them a call to see if they sent something and is stuck in the mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Charlie said:
Hey all,

I was complete in mid Sept, but I took the Aug MCAT, so more like mid October I guess. No word yet...am I doomed for a rejection letter or is there still hope? Or should I give them a call to see if they sent something and is stuck in the mail?

If you've been complete for that long, I think it would be a good idea to call and see what's going on (like you said, maybe something got lost in the mail). :luck: :luck:

Tristy said:
If you've been complete for that long, I think it would be a good idea to call and see what's going on (like you said, maybe something got lost in the mail). :luck: :luck:

Have people tried this approach? I've been complete a long time too and I'm really anxiously awaiting word on an interview. Oh, I'd love to interview there... :scared:

DianaLynne said:
Have people tried this approach? I've been complete a long time too and I'm really anxiously awaiting word on an interview. Oh, I'd love to interview there... :scared:

Hi Diana,
I really don't know if people have tried calling DMS, but, IMHO, I would call to make sure nothing was lost from my file. :luck:

Tristy said:
Yeah, I really can't wait to go to the interview and see how isolated it is :smuggrin: I was complete on 11/3 and the interview notice was dated 11/23. So far it is the only one I have, but, I also applied suuuuper late. Are you applying there too?
QUOTE]

Yup, applying there as well. It is one of my top choices.

But I only just sent in my secondary a week or so ago the weekend before thanksgiving. I guess I am suuuper suuuper late. I got a complete confirmation on 11/23. (hey thats the day you got your invite!) It must be a sign that i will get an interview.
yea, its a sign. definitely a sign. definitely.

StewieGriffin said:
Tristy said:
QUOTE]

Yup, applying there as well. It is one of my top choices.

But I only just sent in my secondary a week or so ago the weekend before thanksgiving. I guess I am suuuper suuuper late. I got a complete confirmation on 11/23. (hey thats the day you got your invite!) It must be a sign that i will get an interview.
yea, its a sign. definitely a sign. definitely.

oops that was from my alter ego: stewiegriffin. this is actually salfrankador. we are one and the same. a less unoriginal name, i guess.

btw, how the hell do you sign off of SDN and sign back on with another user name. Im pretty sure I am not an idiot, but i really think i have tried everything.

Tristy said:
Hi Diana,
I really don't know if people have tried calling DMS, but, IMHO, I would call to make sure nothing was lost from my file. :luck:

Tristy, what date is your interview? Maybe we can fly in one of the airport and rent a car there together or something

StewieGriffin said:
oops that was from my alter ego: stewiegriffin. this is actually salfrankador. we are one and the same. a less unoriginal name, i guess.

btw, how the hell do you sign off of SDN and sign back on with another user name. Im pretty sure I am not an idiot, but i really think i have tried everything.

I hope you get an interview!! Good luck :D :luck:

xadmin said:
Tristy, what date is your interview? Maybe we can fly in one of the airport and rent a car there together or something

I have my interview for Jan 27th, it's gonna be sooooo cold :scared: I think that the car would be an awsome idea, when are you interviewing?

Hey there, I was quite surprised that Dartmouth ranked in the mid thirties in research. I originally thought they were at least in the top twenty. Why do you think this is so?

I'd like someone to confirm that Dartmouth sends out its interview invites by snail mail. Is this true?

Hey guys,
For those who interviewed at Dartmouth, when you got your information package for the interview, did you also get a letter from the Dean? I assume everybody gets it, but nonetheless, with weeks of knowing absolutely nada from the other 13 schools, it made me feel special :D (silly me)

Tristy said:
I have my interview for Jan 27th, it's gonna be sooooo cold :scared: I think that the car would be an awsome idea, when are you interviewing?
I'm waiting for a call back to schedule, but the 27th is my first choice day. I planned to fly in to Boston and drive (cheaper!) I am a winter driver, and would love company, if you need a ride from there.

liverotcod said:
I'm waiting for a call back to schedule, but the 27th is my first choice day. I planned to fly in to Boston and drive (cheaper!) I am a winter driver, and would love company, if you need a ride from there.

I got my interview invite yesterday, and I have to decide when to schdule, either Jan 25, 27, or Feb 3.

If we can organize this, I think we could make it pretty cheap if we all shared a car. Let me know

That's bizarre. I rec'd my invite yesterday, too, and the dates listed were Jan 27, then Feb 8, and Feb 10. I just assumed Dartmouth wasn't interviewing the first week of February, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe they want to set certain applicants up with certain interviewers? ...

starfruit said:
That's bizarre. I rec'd my invite yesterday, too, and the dates listed were Jan 27, then Feb 8, and Feb 10. I just assumed Dartmouth wasn't interviewing the first week of February, but I guess I was wrong. Maybe they want to set certain applicants up with certain interviewers? ...

I think someone said they used a formula, not sure though. Do you know which interview date you are going to try and set up?

I have Jan 27, and am offering to drive from Boston. If there are enough of us, we could get a bigger car and still save money. Although the admissions office (Ann, who was very nice) said she was sending travel info out in an information packet.

I think I'll have to choose one of the Feb. dates. Good luck to you guys who are organizing the Jan. 27 interview carpool, though! SOunds like fun.

I got the info today, and here are the websites for the transportation:

www.vermonttransit.com

www.concordtrailways.com ---> this is the Dartmouth Coach

I'm still reviewing the Brown-Dartmouth program info, anyone else might be going?
BTW, yes, I think carpooling would be a great idea

:luck: :luck:

Tristy said:
I got the info today, and here are the websites for the transportation:

www.vermonttransit.com

www.concordtrailways.com ---> this is the Dartmouth Coach

I'm still reviewing the Brown-Dartmouth program info, anyone else might be going?
BTW, yes, I think carpooling would be a great idea

:luck: :luck:
I think the Brown idea is interesting, but would rather not put my family through an extra move, so I'm not going to bite.

I'm pretty sure we can beat $35 (the Coach price) if we carpool. But it really depends on the logistics - arrival times, departure times, accomodation plans, etc. We have a little while to plan for the 27th, so let's stay in touch with our plans, keeping carpooling in mind as an option.

As a straw man, perhaps we could agree to leave Logan at ~7-8 PM on the 26th, and leave Dartmouth at ~4 PM on the 27th. That would put us back at Logan by 7 PM on the 27th. Any other thoughts/suggestions?

I plan to stay at a hotel.

Tristy, Liverotocod,

I just received my interview invite and I'm probably going to schedule it on the 27th as well. The idea of renting a car sounds very good... especially because I hate driving! ;) But, I'm not sure about my plans yet. We should def. keep in touch.

Quick question: did you get your information packet at the same time you got your invite? I got the invite but no packet... :confused:

:luck:

KiKat37 said:
Tristy, Liverotocod,

I just received my interview invite and I'm probably going to schedule it on the 27th as well. The idea of renting a car sounds very good... especially because I hate driving! ;) But, I'm not sure about my plans yet. We should def. keep in touch.

Quick question: did you get your information packet at the same time you got your invite? I got the invite but no packet... :confused:

:luck:
No packet yet. The admissions person I spoke to said she was sending it out.

Rzarecta said:

Where the heck do people get this idea about numbers?? The only place I've ever heard about assigning numerical scores to applicants is on this website. Anyway, members of the admissions committee choose which people they will interview based on the entire file that is submitted.

The ad com tries to keep the day low stress because they are interested in interviewing you when you're at your best. When I interviewed two years ago, I was told by my interviewer that he chose applicants on the basis of personality alone. Quote, "We try to admit people that we wouldn't mind having to drive to Boston with."

So, the lowdown: you will be interviewed by two ad com members (if you get a student, remeber that s/he is a full-fledged voting memeber of the ad com). You can get your acceptance as early as 3 weeks after interviewing or as late as a couple of months. It's just like other schools in that respect (as I recall from my experiences).

Best of luck to everyone interviewing!

ironey said:
Where the heck do people get this idea about numbers?? The only place I've ever heard about assigning numerical scores to applicants is on this website. Anyway, members of the admissions committee choose which people they will interview based on the entire file that is submitted.

The ad com tries to keep the day low stress because they are interested in interviewing you when you're at your best. When I interviewed two years ago, I was told by my interviewer that he chose applicants on the basis of personality alone. Quote, "We try to admit people that we wouldn't mind having to drive to Boston with."

So, the lowdown: you will be interviewed by two ad com members (if you get a student, remeber that s/he is a full-fledged voting memeber of the ad com). You can get your acceptance as early as 3 weeks after interviewing or as late as a couple of months. It's just like other schools in that respect (as I recall from my experiences).

Best of luck to everyone interviewing!

I was told about this number during the introduction speech. I honestly don't know, but this is what they told me at the interview.

ironey said:
You can get your acceptance as early as 3 weeks after interviewing or as late as a couple of months. It's just like other schools in that respect (as I recall from my experiences).
when i was there, they basically said that most acceptances are sent in around six weeks. somehow, lightning struck for me, though--i interviewed on october 14 and my acceptance was postmarked november 1. moral of the story: keep checkin' them mailboxes, premeds!

and to the poster inquiring about DMS's mid-thirties rank in research: just remember that dartmouth is actually a pretty small school and its not exactly in a metropolitan area (to say the least). that being said, DMS still had approx. $112 million dollars (according to their viewbook) in grant support in 2003--not too shabby. also, when you consider that figure in relation to the small class size (only about 70 students when the dartmouth-brown students ship off to providence), there is plenty of money to support any research that a med student could want to pursue.

liverotcod said:
Came today.

Thanks for the info Liverotcod! :) I haven't received it yet, but everything takes like 3 extra days to get to my campus... <sigh> I'll probbaly get it some time next week.

I watched the DVD today, and to me it seemed a little over-the-top. Like "I-do-neurosurgery-to-bring-home-the-bacon-but-my-real-passion-is-aeronautical-engineering" over the top.

But it was pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to this interview, now. Just not at all confident about my chances.

liverotcod said:
I watched the DVD today, and to me it seemed a little over-the-top. Like ""I-do-neurosurgery-to-bring-home-the-bacon-but-my-real-passion-is-aeronautical-engineering over the top.

But it was pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to this interview, now. Just not at all confident about my chances.

I know what you mean! When I saw I have like 1 in 10 chance of acceptance....Oh well, at least I get to see Boston (maybe). :laugh:

I got a letter from the dean today, and need to know if I'm a super-special Chosen applicant, or whether many are getting them. It was from Dean Spielberg (Steven's brother?) and states that he's adding his personal invitation and that he looks forward to meeting me. It's a very nice letter and makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Anyone else gotten one? Or are they really rolling out the red carpet just for me?

liverotcod said:
I got a letter from the dean today, and need to know if I'm a super-special Chosen applicant, or whether many are getting them. It was from Dean Spielberg (Steven's brother?) and states that he's adding his personal invitation and that he looks forward to meeting me. It's a very nice letter and makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Anyone else gotten one? Or are they really rolling out the red carpet just for me?

the one i got said,
<handwritten>
"Dear 0-
you are, by far, the dreamiest candidate we have ever seen! i am tickled pink about your upcoming visit and i sincerely hope you enjoy your time with us!!
love,
dean speilberg"

.... i'm pretty sure they send those letters to everyone... mine came a few weeks after the interview invitation, so it kind of surprised me.... the dvd is funny too... it's really laid back once you're there.... try to stay with a student. that is the real draw of the program.

good luck

liverotcod said:

When I went in Oct., I got the same letter...and I don't think that they rolled out the red carpet for me :oops:

But :luck: :luck: :luck: at Darmouth.

liverotcod said:

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic material as everyone else...

I got one before my interview as well; I imagine everyone else does too. I will let you know that if you get accepted, you'll get materials, brochures, and letters every week from the school entreating you to choose them come May 15. It really does make you feel special, though.

But I *feel* Chosen, which I suppose is their intent. Thanks for confirming what I suspected, everyone.

Croatalus_atrox said:
I will let you know that if you get accepted, you'll get materials, brochures, and letters every week from the school entreating you to choose them come May 15. It really does make you feel special, though.
of the schools i've been accepted to, dartmouth has BY FAR been the best regarding trying to maintain your interest and show that they actually want you to go there. very classy.