Any tips on how to get into UoP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tigerlili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm from North Carolina, but I would love to go to UoP! From what I heard it seems like a great school, and I have always wanted to live in California so going to dental school in Cali will make it an easier transition to practice there. Also will it hurt me if one of the dentist writing my recommendations is from UNC dental school?? Also what does UoP look for, does it emphasize only on high DATs? Is there anyone I should be in touch at UoP prior to the application process? I would appreciate any input!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) have high DAT scores above 20/21 in everything
2) get your application online may 15th and complete it before june 1st. submit on june 1st.
3) call the school, visit the school, call the school, visit the school and repeat until they know you. they will meet with you independently as well so you get more one on one attention if you like.
4) get A's or B's in upper division science classes. UoP suggests you complete these classes before entering dental school (no a pre-req but SUGGESTED, so i would do it): Micro, Physio, Anatomy, Histology (if you cant do this one its okay), and Biochem.
5) please see #3. make sure you get to know them and they get to know you. show interest in UoP and they will show interest in you! Good luck

http://dental.pacific.edu/admissions1/DDS/requirements.htm

Tigerlili said:
Hi I'm from North Carolina, but I would love to go to UoP! From what I heard it seems like a great school, and I have always wanted to live in California so going to dental school in Cali will make it an easier transition to practice there. Also will it hurt me if one of the dentist writing my recommendations is from UNC dental school?? Also what does UoP look for, does it emphasize only on high DATs? Is there anyone I should be in touch at UoP prior to the application process? I would appreciate any input!

Thanks!

titleistek said:
2) get your application online may 15th and complete it before june 1st. submit on june 1st.
3) call the school, visit the school, call the school, visit the school and repeat until they know you. they will meet with you independently as well so you get more one on one attention if you like.
4) get A's or B's in upper division science classes. UoP suggests you complete these classes before entering dental school (no a pre-req but SUGGESTED, so i would do it): Micro, Physio, Anatomy, Histology (if you cant do this one its okay), and Biochem.
5) please see #3. make sure you get to know them and they get to know you. show interest in UoP and they will show interest in you! Good luck

Bingo... I couldn't agree more with everything said here! Also I would like to add, try and find some UoP alumni in your area. Call UoP and see if any alumni are close by to you. I'm sure they keep a pretty extensive alumni directory. If you could do some shadowing with them that would be helpful. Phone calls and LORs from UoP alum are probably weighed a little heavier then most others.

Members don't see this ad :)
apply early, take DATs early

titleistek said:

I think applying early is the KEY!!!

I did really well on the DAT (23 PAT, 21AA, 21TS) but applied in september. I did not even get an interview. By the time my file was complete at UoP, all the interview spots were already filled, they only had some alternative spots left.

So apply very very very early.

If possible, consider relocating to california. I think that having a local address played a positive role in my acceptance. If you go to predents.com you'll see that the majority of the people accepted are from the area.

From what I've heard, the most reliable way to get into UoP is to be the son or daughter of UoP dental school graduate. If you meet this criterion, then it pretty much doesn't matter what your stats are.

if youre asian you gain 20 extra "points"

utahdentist2be said:
From what I've heard, the most reliable way to get into UoP is to be the son or daughter of UoP dental school graduate. If you meet this criterion, then it pretty much doesn't matter what your stats are.

So true. I am not the son of a UoP dental school grad (or even a dentist for that matter), but I know a few people who are, and they have all gotten into UoP. This is why I suggested the importance of finding a surrogate 'father' or 'mother' who is a UoP alum. IMO, this helps out your chances immensely. If two people have identical stats, but one has a LOR from a UoP alum, they will most likely get the nod of approval.

Don't get me wrong, you still need to have great stats (especially DAT) but Pacific listens very attentively to it's alumni.

Only a partial truth. The best way to get into UoP is to have a Daddy that is an alum, but after that not even your stats matter, I know of a case where the overall on the DAT was 16 and prerequisites were uncompleted. His Daddy was UoP alum and he is now just finishing at UoP. So good luck.
Fulcrum77 said:
Don't get me wrong, you still need to have great stats (especially DAT) but Pacific listens very attentively to it's alumni.

mr_gestapito said:
Only a partial truth. The best way to get into UoP is to have a Daddy that is an alum, but after that not even your stats matter, I know of a case where the overall on the DAT was 16 and prerequisites were uncompleted. His Daddy was UoP alum and he is now just finishing at UoP. So good luck.

I was referring to those of us who don't have UoP dental grad parents. :laugh:

It is true that these things definitely help but I know plenty of people in my class who aren't affiliated with any alums, my GF doesn't even have a dentist in the family or any letters from any alums and she's in our class so I think that you guys are going a little over board with your stories. None of my parents are dentists either.

Fulcrum77 said:
I was referring to those of us who don't have UoP dental grad parents. :laugh:

juggamynugga said:
It is true that these things definitely help but I know plenty of people in my class who aren't affiliated with any alums, my GF doesn't even have a dentist in the family or any letters from any alums and she's in our class so I think that you guys are going a little over board with your stories. None of my parents are dentists either.

Of course not everyone at UoP is going to be affiliated with alums. I'm not saying it's a requirement to get accepted. The OP is interested in maximizing their chances of success and I'm just stating that this is a helpful one. Contacting alumni of any school that you are interested in, to talk to them about their experiences, is always a good idea. :thumbup:

Don't think that a good DAT and a good GPA will get you in. I am from Cali close to San Fran. I am a white male who served in the military, maybe thats why I didn't even get considered. I even called several times to express interest and got blown off every time. Good luck

DentistDevilDog said:
Don't think that a good DAT and a good GPA will get you in. I am from Cali close to San Fran. I am a white male who served in the military, maybe thats why I didn't even get considered. I even called several times to express interest and got blown off every time. Good luck

did u have a 3.91?

DentistDevilDog said:

bogus, i served in the military and got in with no parents/know of any alumni either.

my dad's a shoe salesman and i definitely didnt get into UOP

polarnut said:
my dad's a shoe salesman and i definitely didnt get into UOP

my dad's god and i didnt even get in...i bet its because im asian