Any URMs interested in PA school instead of MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys, I was wondering if this part of the forum had any pre-pa URMs or are all you guys pre-med?

I'm an AA male and I'm pretty set on PA school. I'm one semester away from my bachelors. After that I plan to work as an EMT for a couple years to build up my application. I also want to retake a few classes.

As a PA I'll still be able to practice medicine, it'll just be under a supervising physician. It also takes less time, which is very attractive to me. I really don't want to go through 4 more years of medical school and do residency. PA school is 2.5 to 3 years, which isn't too long.

I know that MD is the gold standard but the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't have to be an MD to be happy.

How about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey you guys, I was wondering if this part of the forum had any pre-pa URMs or are all you guys pre-med?

I'm an AA male and I'm pretty set on PA school. I'm one semester away from my bachelors. After that I plan to work as an EMT for a couple years to build up my application. I also want to retake a few classes.

As a PA I'll still be able to practice medicine, it'll just be under a supervising physician. It also takes less time, which is very attractive to me. I really don't want to go through 4 more years of medical school and do residency. PA school is 2.5 to 3 years, which isn't too long.

I know that MD is the gold standard but the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't have to be an MD to be happy.

How about you guys?

PA school is a great choice. I'm also an AA male. I'm in my first year in PA school. It's rare to see URMs in PA school or even med school. You are in the right mind set to think about why you exactly want to pursue PA school and not med school. Those were my same decision factors. If you have any questions or need any guidance let me know.