Any words of advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeauxTigers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, things aren't looking to good for this year. I'm looking for advice to be more competitive for 2007. I graduated in 2004 with a Finance degree (3.6 GPA) but decided being a dentist was really what I wanted. I went back to school and took the pre-requisites. These are my grades/scores:

Science GPA: 3.84
BCP: 3.72
DAT: 17/17/17
Applied: UTH, UTSA, Baylor, LSU, NYU, Boston, Nova, Creighton, Case, Louisville
Interviews: only Boston
Rejected: all others, Creighton still pending

I honestly expected more interviews. I know a handful of people who were accepted with lower GPAs and equal DAT scores. I have lots of shadowing experience and solid recommendations. I applied in August, but wasn't complete until October.

What do I need to do for next year? Thanks for any advice

Members don't see this ad.

you have awesome GPA's, but your DAT is lacking. You should consider retaking it and aim for 20+. The applicant pool this year has been very very competitive, and anything below a 19 or 18 will hurt your chances.
good luck

GeauxTigers said:
Unfortunately, things aren't looking to good for this year. I'm looking for advice to be more competitive for 2007. I graduated in 2004 with a Finance degree (3.6 GPA) but decided being a dentist was really what I wanted. I went back to school and took the pre-requisites. These are my grades/scores:

I honestly expected more interviews. I know a handful of people who were accepted with lower GPAs and equal DAT scores. I have lots of shadowing experience and solid recommendations. I applied in August, but wasn't complete until October.

Retake the DAT. It does not matter that someone got in with less stats that you thats life and stuff happens. The ball is in you court to improve you application for next year. If you score a 19 or above you will be in good shape. After killing the DAT you should furthur try to improve your application. Get a job as a dental assistant or find some research job maybe related to dentistry. If you do all that I believe you would get into a dental school next year. I also hope that you did not take you pre-req courses at a community college. Anyways good luck and maybe you will get into Boston this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
in addition to retaking the DAT, try and apply at the earliest possible, this will really make a difference at some schools.
You can start filling out the application the middle of May and send it as soon as you get done, they start sending then out in June in order of recieved, trust me it helps, then you get you secondaries quicker and you can fill the first interview spots, which will really increase your chances. In addition, make sure that you retake the Dat by July, takes a few weeks for it to be sent to each individual school, so if you application including letters, secondaries and Dat is complete by Aug 1st you will be in tip top shape.

You're GPA is great...nothing lacking there. However, you really need to improve your DAT scores. There is a big discrepancy between your science GPA and your TS score on your DAT. You need to reduce that in order to have a better shot. Try pulling at least 20/20/18. With those scores and your GPA you have no problem. Just make sure you write a good personal statement, have solid rec letters, and some EC's. Also, the key is to apply as early as possible. If you can pull that DAT score up you have an excellent shot at getting in next year. Good luck.

GeauxTigers said:

If you decide to retake the DAT, try to do it before you submit your ADSAS. It would be much better to have your new improved score included on your application. Apply early, no later than mid June.

Not sure what science classes you've taken, but try to take some upper level courses (300 and above). Adcoms like to see that non-science majors can handle upper level science courses. Avoid CC courses if possible.

19 AA/TS or above would be ideal. Dental school is becoming more and more competitive.

I would take to kaplan prep course. I bought some cheap DAT prep books and the topscore CD and was only making 15's. After the Kaplan course I scored 21 on the DAT. The DAT is not that difficult but you have to study specific areas. I do not think that many people can walk in cold turkey and excel on the DAT.

GeauxTigers said:

I'd say Screw the DAT -- You have a Great GPA -- just reapply early next year. If you have time, sure, go ahead and retake the DAT. Some folks are below a 3.0 GPA status and 17-18 DAT score and get in because they apply early. I believe your GPA says more about a person vs the DAT because anyone could have a bad test taking day. Your GPA means that you have the ability to sustain good grades over a long period of time, which is more important in Dental School. Just make sure the rest of your app is totally solid. I know of folks accepted with way below pair scores but get accepted because they apply early and the rest of their app is way Kosher...

Maxmuscle27 said:
I'd say Screw the DAT -- You have a Great GPA -- just reapply early next year. If you have time, sure, go ahead and retake the DAT. Some folks are below a 3.0 GPA status and 17-18 DAT score and get in because they apply early. I believe your GPA says more about a person vs the DAT because anyone could have a bad test taking day. Your GPA means that you have the ability to sustain good grades over a long period of time, which is more important in Dental School. Just make sure the rest of your app is totally solid. I know of folks accepted with way below pair scores but get accepted because they apply early and the rest of their app is way Kosher...

true, GPA is more important but retaking the DAT wouldn't hurt. Also, different schools weigh GPA and DAT differently. Some like higher gpa, others like better DAT. so look at the avg. stats of whichever school you're looking to get into

Maxmuscle27 said:
I disagree.......if you are serious about applying for the next cycle then you need to dedicate yourself to improving your weak areas. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK. Judging from your GPA's, all you really need to do is bring up that DAT. If you get 20's across the board then you will be an all around competitive applicant. An improved DAT in conjunction with applying early will practically ensure you a seat in the Class of 2011.

geckel said:
I disagree.......if you are serious about applying for the next cycle then you need to dedicate yourself to improving your weak areas. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK. Judging from your GPA's, all you really need to do is bring up that DAT. If you get 20's across the board then you will be an all around competitive applicant. An improved DAT in conjunction with applying early will practically ensure you a seat in the Class of 2011.

very well said

geckel said:

Don't worry, I'm definitely retaking the DAT. My Kaplan course starts in 3 weeks. I know I can do better than my 17. I only had about 4 weeks to study for the DAT the first time. I went ahead and took it in order to have my application complete by the deadline for the Texas schools.

In addition to my pre-reqs, I took BioChem (4000 level), Microbiology (2000 level), and Genetics (2000 level). How many other upper levels would y'all recommend and which ones?

Thanks for y'alls help. I really appreciate it.

GeauxTigers said:
Don't worry, I'm definitely retaking the DAT. My Kaplan course starts in 3 weeks. I know I can do better than my 17. I only had about 4 weeks to study for the DAT the first time. I went ahead and took it in order to have my application complete by the deadline for the Texas schools.

In addition to my pre-reqs, I took BioChem (4000 level), Microbiology (2000 level), and Genetics (2000 level). How many other upper levels would y'all recommend and which ones?

Thanks for y'alls help. I really appreciate it.
Histology, anatomy, and physiology. But if you have finished your pre-reqs then you need to worry about the DAT first. Your GPA's are already competitive so the largest gains will be made by doing well on the DAT. If you can clear 1-3 months for just the DAT then you will do very well......if you take all those classes while trying to study for the DAT you not score nearly as high and you may also go insane from stress.

NYU rejected you???!!! From what I've heard, I assumed they hadn't sent out any letters yet!

GeauxTigers said:

A lot of people who make similar posts have much lower gpas... low to mid threes and they are told to shoot for 20+. In your case, with your gpa and shadowing experience, an application complete in May or June with an 19 DAT, you will have a dozen interviewed if you so choose.

With that in mind, if you do get accepted to BU this year, although its a good school, it is extremely expensive. You may want to consider taking a year of and reapplying with a better DAT score. If you are planning on taking loans, you are looking at approximately 310K... repayment over 30 years will mean over 750K in the end. Going to a school that will run about 160 will allow you to pay it off in 20 or less, meaning you will pay back less than 300.

Just something to keep in mind... with your stats, Im sure you can do much better on the DAT... good luck....

Toothdoc2b said:
A lot of people who make similar posts have much lower gpas... low to mid threes and they are told to shoot for 20+. In your case, with your gpa and shadowing experience, an application complete in May or June with an 19 DAT, you will have a dozen interviewed if you so choose.

With that in mind, if you do get accepted to BU this year, although its a good school, it is extremely expensive. You may want to consider taking a year of and reapplying with a better DAT score. If you are planning on taking loans, you are looking at approximately 310K... repayment over 30 years will mean over 750K in the end. Going to a school that will run about 160 will allow you to pay it off in 20 or less, meaning you will pay back less than 300.

Just something to keep in mind... with your stats, Im sure you can do much better on the DAT... good luck....

20-30 yrs to pay off dental school debt??? wow, that sucks

DUBS said:
20-30 yrs to pay off dental school debt??? wow, that sucks

Most pay it off in 10...or less.

That is if they want to and are fiscally smart about it.

As it stands now, I will pay off all my loans in 2 years but I got some stuff lined up that will pay off $60,000 at the end of D-
School. I will pay the other 60k or so in 2 years.

PDizzle said:
Most pay it off in 10...or less.

That is if they want to and are fiscally smart about it.

As it stands now, I will pay off all my loans in 2 years but I got some stuff lined up that will pay off $60,000 at the end of D-
School. I will pay the other 60k or so in 2 years.

You are right PDizzle... it can be done in less than ten... but it all depends on where you get a job and starting salary. If you are making about a 100k and you are single, youll be left with about 60 after taxes. If you take the extreme of 310k which you would need for NYU of BU, a 30 year note will leave you paying off 750+.... or 25K a year... leaving you with 35K to do with what you wish. For a school like UB, where all in all, it should cost 143K... ten years is feasible. I was just looking at the extreme... good job on that web site once again... gonna help a lot of people...