Anybody attempting to transfer as a MS3 from the caribbean in 2014?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transfer14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says - anybody have transfer apps in for US schools coming from the caribbean?

Members don't see this ad.

Unlikely there will be many. There was only one US school accepting transfers this year and they limited the transfer application to those from that state.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You were wrong.
how so? And I just realized I never replied to you. My info was from the aamc site. It allows you to see what schools have openings, into which year, and of those, what their criteria are for accepting students, i.e. LCME schools only or also accepting international students.

how so? And I just realized I never replied to you. My info was from the aamc site. It allows you to see what schools have openings, into which year, and of those, what their criteria are for accepting students, i.e. LCME schools only or also accepting international students.
The take home for transfer hopefuls is that the aamc website is not necessarily accurate. It relies on schools to report their slots.

The take home for transfer hopefuls is that the aamc website is not necessarily accurate. It relies on schools to report their slots.

I assumed as much actually. Hopefully what I said initially didn't influence your decision if you were attempting to transfer. I based what I said off the aamc website and also having looked through literally dozens of school websites myself in the past. Additionally, I personally know someone who was a stellar student attempting to transfer from the caribbean. He said he emailed and called a ton of places and was told the same thing that the aamc site said... or they just told him that they didn't have openings. He ended up getting an interview at Drexel, but wasn't accepted.

I'm getting ready to take the step soon, so I'll actually be emailing/calling a bunch of places in a month to see what their actual policy is if it isn't stated on their site directly or even if it is stated, that they don't take too firm of a stance as far as rejecting international transfers. .

Rosalind Franklin and Drexel are the only two I've heard of who routinely accept Caribbean transfers.

-Skip

Routinely as in 1-2 per class year, maybe.

Routinely as in 1-2 per class year, maybe.

That's a lot more than zero, which is the sad truth for the vast majority of other AAMC schools. And, I meant "routinely" as in actual schools rather than a number.

-Skip

I assumed as much actually. Hopefully what I said initially didn't influence your decision if you were attempting to transfer. I based what I said off the aamc website and also having looked through literally dozens of school websites myself in the past. Additionally, I personally know someone who was a stellar student attempting to transfer from the caribbean. He said he emailed and called a ton of places and was told the same thing that the aamc site said... or they just told him that they didn't have openings. He ended up getting an interview at Drexel, but wasn't accepted.

I'm getting ready to take the step soon, so I'll actually be emailing/calling a bunch of places in a month to see what their actual policy is if it isn't stated on their site directly or even if it is stated, that they don't take too firm of a stance as far as rejecting international transfers. .
Be sure to check your state's schools as well. I've heard of exceptions to the no-transfer-rule to students from their home state.

That being said, it's pretty late in the year to be applying to transfer. Most 3rd year classes start much sooner than August/Sept. NYMC deadline was June 15, SUNY Up/Down was quite a while ago, Drexel, etc. I had an email request for an application in to Rosalind Franklin but was told they rarely take students, but would send an application if spots were available. I haven't received one.

You could potentially apply next year, but you'd have to redo, most if not all, of 3rd year...but I'm sure it's been done. Not sure if it's worth it though unless you have to have ortho/derm.

Be sure to check your state's schools as well. I've heard of exceptions to the no-transfer-rule to students from their home state.

That being said, it's pretty late in the year to be applying to transfer. Most 3rd year classes start much sooner than August/Sept. NYMC deadline was June 15, SUNY Up/Down was quite a while ago, Drexel, etc. I had an email request for an application in to Rosalind Franklin but was told they rarely take students, but would send an application if spots were available. I haven't received one.

You could potentially apply next year, but you'd have to redo, most if not all, of 3rd year...but I'm sure it's been done. Not sure if it's worth it though unless you have to have ortho/derm.

The way things are looking as far as outlook for competitive specialties, I would gladly repeat 3rd year for that opportunity. Weird that you replied today. I just received the transfer app from my state school who said they had 1 position, but that the deadline was June 15th and are interviewing a candidate now. I wish I found out about this earlier, I would have taken the step in May. Thanks for the info.

I'm a little confused on where to start looking for schools that accept transfers.

I did the "Check By School" option and need some clarification on LBA, Year X (next) and Year X (current). Sorry if it sounds stupid.