Anybody have a list of schools that allow electives 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdf123g

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think 3rd year electives are all that great. Most places, especially university hospitals, will not take 3rd year medical students for electives. I think having a lot of electives in your 4th year is more important, especially if you want to do something surgical because most AOA programs require audition rotations to even be considered.

I'd recommend everyone doing 1 or 2 electives in critical care. It will make your intern year easier.

FYI, Radiology, pathology, and anesthesia electives are usually easy rotations that end early :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Cliquesh has valid points-- there's both pros and cons to 3rd year electives, for sure.

LECOM has third year electives. I don't know about other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Western COMP and MU-COM are two that I know that offer 3rd year rotations,

but as Cliquesh says - many hospitals won't take 3rd years.

LMU-DCOM has 3 elective blocks third year (1 selective, 2 electives).

Current list (as per posters):
LMU-DCOM
Western COMP
MU-COM
LECOM

TCOM has a 4 week elective at the end of 3rd year

Touro NY gives one month of electives during 3rd year

I do not think 3rd year electives are all that great. Most places, especially university hospitals, will not take 3rd year medical students for electives. I think having a lot of electives in your 4th year is more important, especially if you want to do something surgical because most AOA programs require audition rotations to even be considered.

I'd recommend everyone doing 1 or 2 electives in critical care. It will make your intern year easier.

FYI, Radiology, pathology, and anesthesia electives are usually easy rotations that end early :)

Are there schools that don't allow 4th year electives?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure RVUCOM has 2 electives in 3rd year (8 weeks)

Reactions: 1 user
I think a more interesting (/important) discussion could be what are the required rotations and the lengths of the rotations. I'm sure many (most?) schools allow at least one elective in third year.

Are there schools that don't allow 4th year electives?

Im not sure; probably not. But having only 1 or 2 electives fourth year is bad. You really need 4 to 6, in my opinion, and not all schools offer that many.

RVU has 2 months 3rd year for electives and 4th year is practically all electives if you want. The 2 electives 3rd year can be found for you near the area you live or if you want to go to a particular hospital etc, you just have to fill out the paperwork instead (very easy to do). If you don't want to do the grunt work of finding electives 4th year, you generally give your course coordinator a list of possible specialties your interested in rotating through and they do their best to find something for you nearby.

Depending on when your electives are, 3rd year electives can be handy. If you schedule them at the end of your 3rd year after your core rotations are complete, you could make the case that you are essentially a 4th year. For example, in EM, you need those all important SLOEs (preferably two) by the time ERAS opens. A third year elective is an easy way to get that SLOE and give yourself some breathing room at the beginning of 4th year.

LMU-DCOM - 3 electives
Western COMP
LECOM
MUCOM - 1 elective (according to updated curriculum)
TCOM - 1 elective
Touro NY - 1 elective + 1 month off.
Rowan - 1 elective
PCOM - 1 elective
ACOM - several
RVU - 2 electives

3rd year elective pro: you can pick any specialty you want to do, earlier. Con: contact multiple hospitals to see if they allow you do elective, can be time-consuming.
We have 2 electives at COMP + you can do a medicine sub-internship in whatever you want including neurology.

2 months actually, but most use 1 as a vacation/Step2 studying month.
Ah sorry about that. I was reading the rotations curriculum pdf, compared to you actually being a student there hahaha

KCU(MB)*

Third Year: It may depend on what core site you're at, but you'll have at least 1 elective block

Fourth Year: All that is required is 1 EM rotation, 1 IM elective, and 2 Sub-I's. The rest of the year is yours to do what you want with

*This is the current policy. Of course things could possibly change.

Not sure if it counts as an elective, but in addition to the one month elective, Rowan has one month in either cardiology or pulmonology.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, I agree some electives in third year are important (2ish) and plenty in 4th year...4+. BUT it is EXTREMELY important how and when you can schedule these electives. This isn't something I or anyone I know, thought of before going to a school but not being able to front load your electives 4th year at your leisure puts you at a MAJOR disadvantage in any specialty where auditions are required (anything surgical). I honestly know people who I believe failed to match this year due to my schools elective scheduling policy, not being able to audition at as many places as possible early 4th year is a really bad thing.

Food for thought for the premeds out there, and somethjng I wish I would have known earlier.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, I agree some electives in third year are important (2ish) and plenty in 4th year...4+. BUT it is EXTREMELY important how and when you can schedule these electives. This isn't something I or anyone I know, thought of before going to a school but not being able to front load your electives 4th year at your leisure puts you at a MAJOR disadvantage in any specialty where auditions are required (anything surgical). I honestly know people who I believe failed to match this year due to my schools elective scheduling policy, not being able to audition at as many places as possible early 4th year is a really bad thing.

Food for thought for the premeds out there, and somethjng I wish I would have known earlier.

I know this all too well.

LMU-DCOM - 2 electives + 1 selective
Western COMP - 2 electives
LECOM
TCOM - 1 elective
Rowan - 1 elective + 1 selective
PCOM - 1 elective
ACOM - several
RVU - 2 electives
KCU - 2 elective

@AlbinoHawk DO updated
@Para-dox that's selective

LECOM has 2 electives and 1 selective in 3rd year.

WCU-COM doesn' thave any 3rd year electives. But all of 4th year are electives

3rd year rotations:
ER 2 months
Psych 1 month
Family Med 3 months
OBGYN 1 month
Peds 1 month
Surgery 2 months
IM 2 months

4th year is all electives beginning in August. Only requirement is that you do 4 months of medical and 4 months of surgical rotations.

UNECOM allows for a single 2 week elective during 3rd year. Not much, but it's there. In 4th year, something like 2/3 of your rotation time can be done on electives.

WVSOM has 4 weeks in 3rd year, 10 weeks in 4th
OUHCOM has electives 3rd year, I forget the break down
KYCOM offers 2 four week blocks for electives/selectives in 3rd year, leaving 8 weeks of electives 4th year
CUSOM will be offering 3rd year electives

VCOM and NOVA have all CORE rotations in 3rd year, no electives until 4th year

4th year is all electives beginning in August. Only requirement is that you do 4 months of medical and 4 months of surgical rotations.
Doesn't that make them selectives?

I have a friend at CCOM who is going into their third year. They said they are doing a plastics rotation in August.

DMU depends on the rotation. some dont have any elective time while others have a month. and 4th year has a FM and community requirement but the rest is completely yours to do anything you want.

LECOM - 2 electives + 1 selective
TCOM - 1 elective
PCOM - 1 elective
ACOM - several
RVU - 2 electives
KCU - 2 elective
CCOM - 1 elective
UNECOM- one 2 week elective
WVSOM- 1 elective
OUHCOM-yes
KYCOM-2 electives
CUSOM-yes?

NO 3rd year Electives:
VCOM
NOVA

CUSOM:
4 weeks of electives 3rd year
16 weeks in 4th year

Just recently ran into it, figured I'd clear up the "?"

Updated CUSOM and ACOM -

ACOM offers the most I've seen with 2 selectives and 3 electives in 3rd year. (not to mention 5 selectives and 4 electives in 4th year)

TCOM - 1 elective
PCOM - 1 elective
ACOM - 2 selective + 3 electives
RVU - 2 electives
KCU - 2 elective
CCOM - 1 elective
WVSOM- 1 elective
OUHCOM-yes
KYCOM-2 electives
CUSOM- 1 elective

NO 3rd year Electives:
VCOM
NOVA

Does this list look accurate to you? Please amend if you see anything inaccurate.
I could be wrong but I thought PCOM offers 1-2 selectives 3rd year. Can anybody verify this?

TCOM - 1 elective
PCOM - 1 elective
ACOM - 2 selective + 3 electives
RVU - 2 electives
KCU - 2 elective
CCOM - 1 elective
WVSOM- 1 elective
OUHCOM-yes
KYCOM-2 electives