Anybody here think its kind of a joke if you aren't in shape in our field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
with any luck i will die of some kind of explosive brain aneurysm in the squat rack by the time i am forty.

Haha I hope not man...work hard but be smart imo

Members don't see this ad.

Probably still more than anyone here including myself .I'm not sure you understand the magnitude of how powerful Zyzz was lol
Dude is dead. I don't think he's getting anything.

So, the main thing that seems to have come out of this thread is that med students have no idea what kind of hours they will be expected to do when are actually doctors and how that is going to affect the rest of their lives?

Members don't see this ad :)
45 mins to go for a walk or jog every few days maybe? :confused:

And yes I know when I get there I will rage at the med students saying how theres plenty of time to stay in shape :oops:

You're what a first year? Just wait until your time is not your own. Third year will give you a taste. Residency is a different beast all together. You can jam working out in during residency but you probably wont have the energy to after a 16 hour day and a 100 hour work week (the p#ssies are only doing 16 hours per day now... when I was an intern we did 30 every 4th night... in the snow... Get off my lawn ya damn kids!)

If you actually do that, then thats 115 hours a week- about 35 over the legal limit... how do you stay alive?

haha. So naive.

So, the main thing that seems to have come out of this thread is that med students have no idea what kind of hours they will be expected to do when are actually doctors and how that is going to affect the rest of their lives?

Seriously.

You're what a first year? Just wait until your time is not your own. Third year will give you a taste. Residency is a different beast all together. You can jam working out in during residency but you probably wont have the energy to after a 16 hour day and a 100 hour work week (the p#ssies are only doing 16 hours per day now... when I was an intern we did 30 every 4th night... in the snow... Get off my lawn ya damn kids!)

haha. So naive.

Seriously.

lol I'm not gonna go into surgery and torture myself...

lol I'm not gonna go into surgery and torture myself...

He's not a surgery resident, but is at a notoriously busy medicine program (hint: look at his avatar)

But his point stands, you'll be busy in third year and residency. Way too busy to work out for the kind of hours you need for body building (or powerlifting) and your eating will be difficult as well. Eating 5 protein meals +/- shakes/supplmentation per day will be impossible for most of residency.

You do your best.

He's not a surgery resident, but is at a notoriously busy medicine program (hint: look at his avatar)

But his point stands, you'll be busy in third year and residency. Way too busy to work out for the kind of hours you need for body building (or powerlifting) and your eating will be difficult as well. Eating 5 protein meals +/- shakes/supplmentation per day will be impossible for most of residency.

You do your best.

The way I see it, If I can't balance my life enough to even workout 45 mins a day, good luck ever raising kids or having a wife that will be able to stand you- those are FAR harder than working out

The way I see it, If I can't balance my life enough to even workout 45 mins a day, good luck ever raising kids or having a wife that will be able to stand you- those are FAR harder than working out

Agreed, but you're talking about doing both - not just one or the other.

Agreed, but you're talking about doing both - not just one or the other.

Agreed. The consequence of getting older. Your free time is very limited as resident but you do have free time. But priorities change over the years.

One of the best pearls I got from an attending once was "you have enough time in residency to be a doctor and one other thing. Whether thats 'doctor and actively dating' or 'doctor and runner' or 'doctor and pianist' or "doctor and mother/father' is up to you."

Why would you ever have a male ob-gyn doctor then? He doesn't even have a uterus.

fat people may not be unhealthy, cardiovascular function is huge in determining health and longevity.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Excuse me sir you should probably lose 30 pounds"

"Yeah, that's true. How about yourself?"

"Okay, that's a good point. Let's go to the gym together."

There's a great article we read in my doctoring course, Put down the Corn Dog, Doctor. I'm sorry I don't have the link on my phone but google it If your interested.

Why would you ever have a male ob-gyn doctor then? He doesn't even have a uterus.

Because sometimes you need a man's perspective of the female anatomy. It's different from the other side.

I honestly don't get the logic of a doctor telling his patients to eat well and exercise, while the guy is obese, a smoker, and panting from walking to his car. I've seen A LOT of healthcare workers in terrible shape with terrible diets...strong role models. Also IMO the med ADCOMs should take it into account if applicants are obese...if they don't give a **** about their bodies why should we believe they'll do any better telling other people how to stay healthy?

IMO there is little excuse to not be in shape...its your right to be out of shape but it will cause your patients to lack trust in you most likely...

All you have to do is lift/workout 3x a week and not overeat carbs like a fatass...

and I am NOT saying everyone should go become a meathead. Just take care of yourself!

In b4 people get mad for suggesting exercise

I 100% agree with you, my friend! In the financial sector, for various job positions, the recruiters/hiring managers take into account whether or not you've filed for bankruptcy. If you can't manage your own investments, then you should have no business in hell doing so at the institutional level.

Same way, we should make obesity, smoking, recreational drug use, and physical fitness a pre-requisite for entrance into medical school, IMHO.

Finally, where I am, at Happy Hour, I'm so apalled at all the high-maintenance girls and boys who smoke and drink, and how immature that they act.

Thomas Jefferson owned hundreds of slaves but almost single handedly ended the slave trade in America.

I had a slightly obese pediatrician growing up who I didn't trust to give me advice, but who gave some pretty good advice. I also had a slim well built pediatrician who wrote in my chart I was taking steroids due to my small creatine usage.

Point being. Ignorant doctors will be ignorant and smart doctors will be smart. I may have listened to my obese doctor better had he been slimmer but he definitely got the right information across. I wouldn't argue a doctor has a moral imperative to maximize patient compliance by keeping him or herself slim. We all have spare time we could use to become better physicians but medicine isn't a completely selfless field. If a doc wants to eat copious amounts of food, smoke, drink, gamble, visit strip clubs, or partake in any light social vices, or any legal vices, in their free time, I won't judge.

Fitness is often about much more than simply working out a few times a week or eating less. I do agree that once in shape, maintenance requires only 30 minutes, 3 days a week, if that.

tldr: Docs could get better compliance by being in shape but they could also become better docs by doing other things. Why single out the over or underweight ones? Don't judge someone for their private life.

Never forget the hardest exercise takes no time. The hardest, most difficult but healthiest exercise is MODERATING YOUR PORTIONS.

I 100% agree with you, my friend! In the financial sector, for various job positions, the recruiters/hiring managers take into account whether or not you've filed for bankruptcy. If you can't manage your own investments, then you should have no business in hell doing so at the institutional level.
That's not even close to an applicable comparison. Losing money has no benefits, and no sane person would intentionally invest in order to lose money.

On the other hand, unhealthy food generally tastes good, is quick, readily available and cheaper. Exercise requires time and effort, and takes away from other things you could be doing.

Not the point.

Didn't his brother get popped for distributing Dbol? Come on dude. I know you wanna believe this guy was natural but I call BS. Just about everyone worth looking at at the gym is using something whether its "real" gear or epistane/m-drol/etc. That being said, this may have been unrelated to his death.

And just about everyone who scored over 250 on Step 1 used USMLE World.

Steroids have never killed anyone, unless you're talking about the rare cases of liver failure from methylated orals.

Same way, we should make obesity, smoking, recreational drug use, and physical fitness a pre-requisite for entrance into medical school, IMHO.

Finally, where I am, at Happy Hour, I'm so apalled at all the high-maintenance girls and boys who smoke and drink, and how immature that they act.

It's posts like this that scare me. What ever happened with disagreeing with a lifestyle choice while at the same time, not feeling the need to make rules against it?

If someone wants to be fatty mcfat fat, smoke 3 packs a day, finish a fifth a night, and shoot up heroin in his or her free time, yet can pass all the steps to enter med school, become a licensed and competent physician, and not let the above habits drastically interfere with their professional life, what's it matter? Why should this person be denied the ability to practice medicine? Because you don't agree with their lifestyle? Do you realize what a jerk you sound like. What differentiates now accepted moral issues like gay marriage, pre marital sex, social drinking, gambling, being Jewish, and interracial dating from those issues you speak about above. All of these were once considered an accurate reflection of one's character. And what if these lifestyle issues you are so against are simply reflections of a deeper underlying problem? One of my good friends underwent a ton of trauma as a teen and young adult and has since developed pretty much every axis 1 disorder on the books. Due to the bulimia/binging, she was plump as a pig for awhile. Would you deny people like that a spot in med school because of their 'lifestyle' choices?

Attitudes like yours are the reason we have such insane social mores and such discriminatory marriage and drug laws. Stop hatin. Let people live their lives, at least until it affects you.

And to address your other comment, moderating portions isn't always a feasible option. It must make you feel all big and mighty to come onto an anonymous internet forum and preach how easy weight loss and how portion moderation is the key. And while I agree with the latter, try telling that to the teen surrounded by McDonalds where the McChicken is $1 and the grilled chicken sandwich is $4 (last I checked. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm looking for healthier options at McDonalds and the grilled chicken snack wraps are getting old). Or that person with anxiety who eats as a side effect. Or busy individuals who don't have time to make or access to, nutritious meals so they must get that nutrition by eating a lot of crap food. Or those with bulimia or binge eating disorders. Or those with any other major medical issue that is more important than immediate weight loss. Or those without medical issues but whose upbringing or current living situation prevents moderating portions without losing out significantly somewhere else.

Point being, this is a very complex topic and can't be simplified to eat less, do more.

Never forget the hardest exercise takes no time. The hardest, most difficult but healthiest exercise is MODERATING YOUR PORTIONS.

lol wut? That's called basic will power...no excuse to over eat. You don't think I don't get hungry and want to eat 2 pizzas?

If someone wants to be fatty mcfat fat, smoke 3 packs a day, finish a fifth a night, and shoot up heroin in his or her free time, yet can pass all the steps to enter med school, become a licensed and competent physician, and not let the above habits drastically interfere with their professional life, what's it matter? Why should this person be denied the ability to practice medicine? Because you don't agree with their lifestyle?

.....seriously?

.....seriously?

You can make the technical point.

Just because you shoot heroin in your free time doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a screw up . . . though outside of the abstract, I've never seen this happen. I've never once seen a case of a physician injecting an opiate, be it heroin or otherwise, into themselves that wasn't a complete wreck and as such should not have been anywhere remotely close to patients or patient care.

Though, I think his overall point has merit.

Technically personal life is called personal for a reason, provided it does not effect one's work. However I wouldn't want to be treated by a doctor who shoots heroin, even if they claim that it does not affect them.

With regards to obesity, I can understand why it is easy to put on weight while working in a medical profession. Even as a med student, sometimes after I get home from the hospital all I want to do is shower, eat and sleep, never mind the exercise! I can imagine how busy things will get once the residency starts. Couple that with stress and convenience food and - bam! - here is your above average BMI.

You can make the technical point.

Just because you shoot heroin in your free time doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a screw up . . . though outside of the abstract, I've never seen this happen. I've never once seen a case of a physician injecting an opiate, be it heroin or otherwise, into themselves that wasn't a complete wreck and as such should not have been anywhere remotely close to patients or patient care.

Though, I think his overall point has merit.

What doctor can drink a 5th of vodka every night and not have SOME type of hangover/still be drunk?---no thanks, I'd rather have not have these people with others' lives in their hands.

What doctor can drink a 5th of vodka every night and not have SOME type of hangover/still be drunk?---no thanks, I'd rather have not have these people with others' lives in their hands.

It's almost like you didn't even read what I wrote before you responded.

Or busy individuals who don't have time to make or access to, nutritious meals so they must get that nutrition by eating a lot of crap food.

Point being, this is a very complex topic and can't be simplified to eat less, do more.

I'm bolding this sentence because people always bring this up and its a bunch of crap. Nobody is too busy to make themselves lunch in the morning. It takes me five minutes to throw some turkey ($7-8/lb) and/or cheese in between two pieces of wheat bread ($1.50 loaf) with a apple/nectarine/etc. ($1/lb or cheaper) and some pretzels/granola bar/etc. Get my drink by using a reusable plastic water bottle and refilling it from a fountain (free except for the initial bottle cost a long time ago).

Takes one trip to the store to buy a few boxes of granola bars/whatever you can eat for breakfast if you're really "too busy" for breakfast and feel like you have to pick something up along the way.

Making a lunch takes almost no time and is usually cheaper than any crap you're gonna pick up. People who complain they're too busy to make themselves something to eat are just lazy or just don't care.

This Zyzz stuff is gold, never knew about it.

I think what the meatheads fail to realize is that that 99% of their motivation for exercise is to look good to get laid. Well when you're underlying skeletal structure and overlying skin are of poor quality no amount of exercise will change it to where you aren't ugly and you fail to see the point in hitting the gym. Trying to look sexy just isn't possible when your parents were ugmos.

This Zyzz stuff is gold, never knew about it.

I think what the meatheads fail to realize is that that 99% of their motivation for exercise is to look good to get laid. Well when you're underlying skeletal structure and overlying skin are of poor quality no amount of exercise will change it to where you aren't ugly and you fail to see the point in hitting the gym. Trying to look sexy just isn't possible when your parents were ugmos.

Strong stereotyping....

I doubt I qualify as a meathead, but I started working out regularly so that I'd be able to keep up in my dad's landscaping business despite taking the cold months off. I kept it going because it makes me feel better and helps me sleep.

I work out so I get more reps on the misc? amidoinitrite?

I didn't have the patience to read the whole thread but I agree. I don't think obese people should be considered for medical school, unless it's some sort of genetic/disease condition whose consequence is weight gain.

It's really not that hard to be healthy. Healthy doesn't mean eating salads all day everyday and exercising and hour a day. It just means limiting your intake of junk foods/fast foods/processed food and getting in some activity when you can. I choose to walk up a hill everyday to class instead of taking the bus. I use the stairs if i'm going no higher than the 4th floor. I make my food in big batches so that I can just bring it for lunch or dinner. I do actual cardio/go to the gym exercise when I can fit it in.

Sure i'm a first year and I know our time gets much more limited, but you're going to have to get to class/the hospital somehow. You're going to have to go between different floors of a building. Stop being lazy and just take the stairs or walk. There's no excuses for things like eating healthy (sandwiches are super quick and cheap to make) and getting a little exercise in.

So I was just thinking... If you guys were in a situation where you were in a group of people and you either had to kill somebody and eat them or starve to death... Wouldnt you want to kill and eat the fat person since they'd provide the greatest amount of food thus allowing you to kill and eat less people. Or is this unethical since the fat person might otherwise survive since they are so fat and can just live off of their fat stores.

I doubt I qualify as a meathead, but I started working out regularly so that I'd be able to keep up in my dad's landscaping business despite taking the cold months off. I kept it going because it makes me feel better and helps me sleep.

This. I don't know how many times I tried to talk myself out of going to the gym because I was so busy I couldn't make time for it. Well, every time I made an hour for the gym I felt refreshed, happier, could study better, and was also more calm.

Gym >>>> Prozac/Modafinil/Xanax :D On a serious note- I seriously think a lot people take a handful of meds when they could slice their prescriptions in half with minimal exercise and diet.

On the tough months so far, I can make it to the gym about twice a week or so. I also make it a priority to do so.

A lot of nights, I get home, eat, and go to sleep until the next morning...even when I'm done at 7 or so at the hospital. :\

Residency hours and the fact that you're usually busy the whole time you're working makes you forget how exhausted you are until you leave...be that a curse or blessing depends on how one looks at it I suppose.

I work out hard every single day(with the exception of exam days). Gotta keep that 6-pack, gotta keep that 6-pack. It's not for anyone else, it's for me. That is reason enough.

I masturbate to myself in the mirror. wait wut?

I think residents even can keep their health even get into shape in residency program. Its doing the small things everyday consistently.

Couple residents/physicians I know bike into work everyday, so there is like 30 mins of exercise right there. On top of that, they use the stairs to go up and down during rounds and eat healthy for lunch/breakfast in the cafeteria (if you have a decent cafeteria with healthy options). Having a 5-10 minutes of lifting weights everyday would add up to. I think it just has to be important enough that you do it everyday and after that point it becomes a habit.

You wont be able to train for a marathon but you can still be fit by doing these small things.