Anybody knows which Pharm school is better, U of North Carolina-ChapelHill vs U of Michigan-AnnArbor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wws

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows which Pharm school is better, University of North Carolina-ChapelHill vs University of Michigan-Ann Arbor? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have interviewed in both schools and I am struggling to decide between these two. But here are my opinions on these schools:

I am currently an UMich undergrad student and I took several pharmacy classes, so I know UMich very well. Ann Arbor is a very nice place, but the housing cost is very high. I pay ~$1100 housing rent per month. I don’t know about the housing cost in Chapel Hill, but I think it’s cheaper. The winter in Michigan is brutal. North Carolina’s weather is definitely nicer, but not much snow (I love snow).

Currently, I’m leaning toward UNC because of the nice building and new technologies. Many pharmacy classes are taught at the North University Building at UMich and this building is a bit old. UMich is a big research university. I know many students who are engaging in research activities. There are a HUGE number of research opportunities available at UMich. Research is required at UMich COP and students have to present their project at P4. UNC offers international pharmacy practice experience program and I asked UMich if they offer any international culture experience program, but it seems that they do not have much to offer. The class size at UMich is smaller than UNC. I also think that UMich is more well known than UNC.

Based on my interview experiences, both schools were very welcoming and the students were nice. But people at UNC were sooo nice, which made me love the school. The assist. admission director called me because my email account blocked their emails and she didn’t receive my response to the interview invitation. While most people would just assume that you are not interested to attend interview, she called me. Also, one of the admission members gave me a ride back to the airport!

Let me know if you have any questions about UMich.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have interviewed in both schools and I am struggling to decide between these two. But here are my opinions on these schools:

I am currently an UMich undergrad student and I took several pharmacy classes, so I know UMich very well. Ann Arbor is a very nice place, but the housing cost is very high. I pay ~$1100 housing rent per month. I don’t know about the housing cost in Chapel Hill, but I think it’s cheaper. The winter in Michigan is brutal. North Carolina’s weather is definitely nicer, but not much snow (I love snow).

Currently, I’m leaning toward UNC because of the nice building and new technologies. Many pharmacy classes are taught at the North University Building at UMich and this building is a bit old. UMich is a big research university. I know many students who are engaging in research activities. There are a HUGE number of research opportunities available at UMich. Research is required at UMich COP and students have to present their project at P4. UNC offers international pharmacy practice experience program and I asked UMich if they offer any international culture experience program, but it seems that they do not have much to offer. The class size at UMich is smaller than UNC. I also think that UMich is more well known than UNC.

Based on my interview experiences, both schools were very welcoming and the students were nice. But people at UNC were sooo nice, which made me love the school. The assist. admission director called me because my email account blocked their emails and she didn’t receive my response to the interview invitation. While most people would just assume that you are not interested to attend interview, she called me. Also, one of the admission members gave me a ride back to the airport!

What do you call a valedictorian from a top-ten pharmacy school and a 2.0 graduate of a 3rd tier diploma mill?

A pharmacist.

What do you call any pharmacists graduating in 2018 and onward?

Unemployed.

Window shopping is over. I would cancel my applications now and start applying to MD or PA schools instead of getting into this scam of a profession.

What do you call a valedictorian from a top-ten pharmacy school and a 2.0 graduate of a 3rd tier diploma mill?

A pharmacist.

What do you call any pharmacists graduating in 2018 and onward?

Unemployed.

Window shopping is over. I would cancel my applications now and start applying to MD or PA schools instead of getting into this scam of a profession.

If you are interested in medicine, then doing MD or PA schools is better than pharmacy school. Sadly, I’m only interested in pharmacy (my dream job since I was a child), and I don’t want to do something that I don’t like for the rest of my life.

If you truly love pharmacy, then go ahead. If you want to be a pharmacist because of money or other things, there are many more better options.

If you are interested in medicine, then doing MD or PA schools is better than pharmacy school. Sadly, I’m only interested in pharmacy (my dream job since I was a child), and I don’t want to do something that I don’t like for the rest of my life.

If you truly love pharmacy, then go ahead. If you want to be a pharmacist because of money or other things, there are many more better options.

Just wondering, what is it about pharmacy that makes it your dream job? What do you love about it specifically?

Anybody knows which Pharm school is better, University of North Carolina-ChapelHill vs University of Michigan-Ann Arbor? Thanks.

UNC is definitely cheaper and has nicer weather! However, I am convinced that you get better quality of education up north. I did a few rotations in north east coast, and the preceptors were way more strict and knowledgeable than the preceptors I encountered in NC.

Also consider that southerners tend to be more passive aggressive. If you are used to people being straightforward, this might be an area of adjustment.

UNC’s employeement rate is pretty good compare to the other schools in the state. The likelihood of you getting a retail job in the chapel hill after graduation is low, while there are many options for residencies (depending on how competitive you are). The city is fairly small and conservative. Do note that there is not much to do in that small city. If it snows the entire state enters panic mode.

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you for your information! It's really helpful. I appreciate it!

Detroit is not a city filled with job opportunities moving forward. What else is near Ann Arbor or in Michigan that could catapult your career.

I would pick UNC. It is near state capital, close to WakeMed, Duke, UNC, Novant. More importantly, it is near search Triangle where many pharmaceutical company have presence there. Charlotte is a city experience rapid growth as well.

Like above post said, I would still pick one with cheaper tuition if it differ significantly.

Hey! Congrats on getting into UNC! I am curious to what made pharmacy your dream job?