Anyone applied to Mercer in Savannah?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Helu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm also URM and just decided to try applying for this cycle. I was wondering if anyone has applied to Mercer as well? Any tips, stats, success stories or anything motivating would be great :rofl:

Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't apply to Mercer in Savannah, you apply to Mercer in general. I've interviewed there twice, wait-listed once.

If your interview is at Macon, make sure you can answer the question what musical instrument do you play as Dean House is an accomplished musician.

uggh....I don't play an instrument though :(

I saw that they accept Georgia residents only. We currently reside in Georgia and would like to stay here, but we are active duty military (I'm not active, I'm just the spouse). That's what brought us here. Do you happen to know how Mercer handles those cases???

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest learning to play one.

I have no idea since there is a problem with my Georgia residency with them and I've been here for 15 years.

What do you put on your AMCAS? They are only going to accept you if you plan to practice in Georgia. Ties to Georgia is a HUGE issue.

Reactions: 1 user
uggh....I don't play an instrument though :(

I saw that they accept Georgia residents only. We currently reside in Georgia and would like to stay here, but we are active duty military (I'm not active, I'm just the spouse). That's what brought us here. Do you happen to know how Mercer handles those cases???

I was going to apply to this school and then I saw the whole issue with state of residency and ties to Georgia. It may be hard for you since military ppl move around a lot. I guess you'd have to find a way to make your case that you plan to work there too. But maybe they'll let you slide since you do live there. Good luck to you!

Thank you @LilEngineThatCould .I know, that's a big problem. But we don't have a choice but to move with the military so I was hoping that there's a chance as we are planning on staying here. But anyone could say that just to get in...We have GA as residence on our taxes as well.

@familyaerospace why is residency a big problem if you have been living here for over 15 years? Have you also applied to other schools in GA?

Thank you @LilEngineThatCould .I know, that's a big problem. But we don't have a choice but to move with the military so I was hoping that there's a chance as we are planning on staying here. But anyone could say that just to get in...We have GA as residence on our taxes as well.

I would think that should work fine for you. It's annoying, I understand they're schools set up to fulfill the needs of the community they're in but I wish they weren't so restrictive. There's ppl (like me) who have moved so often (not military btw lol) who would be fine anywhere and willing to commit to a community as long as it meant I could become a doctor. But alas, we must play with the cards we're dealt. I really hope it works out for you, I think you have a compelling case with your taxes as proof.

@Helu

The interviewer told me my ties to Georgia are not strong enough because my partner currently holds residency in another state because he had to move away for a year to take a job. He's ex-military for what it's worth. I have 1 parent and 1 grandparent here full time, one grandparent here part time, my family owns three pieces of property in state, I am a member of a synagogue in Atlanta, I file taxes in Georgia even though I don't make enough to have to file, my daughter was born here and went to school here, most of my education has been here, etc. I've interviewed at Mercer twice and I am waiting on their secondary for this cycle which should have gotten out to me some time ago.

I've applied to other Georgia schools. They say I am a resident.

@Helu

The interviewer told me my ties to Georgia are not strong enough because my partner currently holds residency in another state because he had to move away for a year to take a job. He's ex-military for what it's worth. I have 1 parent and 1 grandparent here full time, one grandparent here part time, my family owns three pieces of property in state, I am a member of a synagogue in Atlanta, I file taxes in Georgia even though I don't make enough to have to file, my daughter was born here and went to school here, most of my education has been here, etc. I've interviewed at Mercer twice and I am waiting on their secondary for this cycle which should have gotten out to me some time ago.

I've applied to other Georgia schools. They say I am a resident.

Wow that's crazy. Do they get that many applications that they have to be this picky?? Sounds ridiculous honestly.

Wow that's crazy. Do they get that many applications that they have to be this picky?? Sounds ridiculous honestly.

Like a thousand or something? That is nothing compared to most other schools. They really want a fit for their school I guess.

@LilEngineThatCould :) that's what I needed to hear..

@familyaerospace that sounds very frustrating. I don't really understand why you're not being considered as a Georgia resident and I'm fairly new to this whole application system here. BUT if someone would apply to my school three years in a row, I would say that shows commitment right there!! Don't give up, I'm sure it'll happen...don't they say the third time is the charm? ;)

Like a thousand or something? That is nothing compared to most other schools. They really want a fit for their school I guess.

Geez, yeah that just seems like overkill. I hope you get an acceptance soon! I actually have no hopes for my home state lol I feel like an OOS school is actually gonna be the one to show me love. But the best medical school for me is the one that gives me a chance ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
@Helu

If third time was a charm, I would have gotten into MCG where I applied FOUR times and have been waitlisted twice.

@Helu

If third time was a charm, I would have gotten into MCG where I applied FOUR times and have been waitlisted twice.

:( I was just trying to be positive here...that's all we can do when it comes to decisions that are not in our hands.

I hope that things will work out for you this year, @familyaerospace

:( I was just trying to be positive here...that's all we can do when it comes to decisions that are not in our hands.

I hope that things will work out for you this year, @familyaerospace

Thanks and I know, it is getting just really frustrating.

Mercer does have a lot going for it. You know I only have one massive concern about that school. That's the cost. Everything else I can work with.

Thanks and I know, it is getting just really frustrating.

Mercer does have a lot going for it. You know I only have one massive concern about that school. That's the cost. Everything else I can work with.

Yeah that is very understandable!! I just checked...wow you only pay half of that for GRU!! Maybe you can get a scholarship...

So..just in case this question comes up again...Mercer doesn't admit military dependents without roots in GA. Just like you said @familyaerospace , that's a big issue for them... I guess I'll have to shoot for Augusta. Not sure if the chances are any better there but WISH ME LUCK!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
So..just in case this question comes up again...Mercer doesn't admit military dependents without roots in GA. Just like you said @familyaerospace , that's a big issue for them... I guess I'll have to shoot for Augusta. Not sure if the chances are any better there but WISH ME LUCK!!!!

Definitely wishing you luck!

GRU admits more students and has OOS. But they also have way more applications than Mercer.

Although on a positive note secondary fee is zero! :)

Thank you guys :) Well...I will try my best!! I wish you all good luck as well!!!

I will! I will be applying for the next cycle though and spend this year on polishing up my app ;)