Anyone applying for summer internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byeh2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering curious... working on some of the applications for them right now

Members don't see this ad.

Yes - and it's so hard to figure out where I should apply since I don't know where I'm going or when I'll have to be there. But I figure I can always turn them down if they don't fit with my plans...

I am actually half working on them now, and reading posts at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, im applying to 16 of them. applied to 11 last year as a freshman and didnt make any, sadly. hopefully this year will be better

I have no research experience. A lot of the programs say that although research experience is preferred it isnt required. What types of programs should I look at? Im just not really sure if it is even realistic to apply without research experience.

I was told to find and do some local research first. This gains experience to make you more competitive for these programs and so that less of your time will be used in learning the ropes.

I turned in my application on the day after christmas. Probably only applying to one since I pretty sure I'll get into it.

How do you get involved with local research? I go to a small liberal arts college so there are not many opportunities until you are a senior. I have tried contacting the local medical school, but they say they only want medical students. I really want to do research, I just dont know how to start.

beachcutie5040 said:
How do you get involved with local research? I go to a small liberal arts college so there are not many opportunities until you are a senior. I have tried contacting the local medical school, but they say they only want medical students. I really want to do research, I just dont know how to start.

a nearby hospital? research is great but if you dont have a lab around you not much u can do about it. give them a call and ask if there are positions avaliable. its like free money to them (Free labor) why wouldnt they want it?

beachcutie5040 said:
What about biology/chem/phys departments in your school?

marctam86 said:
yes, im applying to 16 of them. applied to 11 last year as a freshman and didnt make any, sadly. hopefully this year will be better

Unfortunately, it is very hard to get accepted into any of these as a freshman because you've only taken the intro level courses. Most of the ones that I've seen prefer if you are completing your junior year unless you've already had good research experiences. Good luck for this year though. :luck:

beachcutie5040 said:

If you are looking for places to do research this summer, some of them state that they give preference to people who have limitted opportunities at your home institution. Still, make sure that you emphasize that point in any personal statement you have (or in any questions about why you will benefit from the program) because it shows that you have an interest in research, but the circumstances at your home insitution won't allow for the research and so you have to look elsewhere for these opportunities.