General Admissions & OTCAS Anyone applying to OT School to gain acceptance for 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctorpt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying to an OT program this upcoming summer or fall to start 2015? Specifically in California?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying for next year, but not for California. The application process is a little overwhelming. @.@ And there is such a variety of different GPAs, GRE scores, and observation hours for the people who were accepted and rejected last year that I have no confidence about how my application will be received!

I've already been accepted to a January 2015 program - University of Tennessee Health Science Center's OT Program in Memphis.

Reactions: 1 users
I've already been accepted to a January 2015 program - University of Tennessee Health Science Center's OT Program in Memphis.

So jealous - I received an email this morning saying I was on the waiting list

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you live in the area currently? Also what other schools are you applying to?
No! I live in NJ about an hour away from Philly. I'm looking to apply to Philly U, Seton Hall, NYU and still researching more schools. How about you? What other schools are you applying to besides Jefferson?

Yes! I'll be applying to 6 different schools, and I have one OTA program as a backup. Hoping for the best.

Ill be applying to OT schools in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and 1 out in Colorado!
Anyone here from mass?

I'll be applying to schools in the Philadelphia area for next year. I was wait listed for this year by two schools for applying so late, so definitely getting a jump start this time around!

What schools wait listed you, if you don't mind me asking?

Jefferson and Salus U. I had applied really late to both, so I kinda expected that I would get that response if anything.

I'll be applying! I live in the Philly area and will be applying to all local schools plus branching out to out of state schools!

I currently live in San Francisco and will be applying to schools in NY and CA!

Hi! I will be applying for spring 2015 and/or Fall 2015! I am from California but applying to schools in CA, AZ, and CT

Question for everyone: On my application I was wondering if I should include shadowing my dad. My dad is not an OT, he is an RN, but I have had experience shadowing him. I thought maybe I would put it under "Other Activities..." What do you think? I already got my OT shadowing hours, I just thought it wouldn't hurt to say that I got experience shadowing a nurse and getting exposure to the healthcare field.

Question for everyone: On my application I was wondering if I should include shadowing my dad. My dad is not an OT, he is an RN, but I have had experience shadowing him. I thought maybe I would put it under "Other Activities..." What do you think? I already got my OT shadowing hours, I just thought it wouldn't hurt to say that I got experience shadowing a nurse and getting exposure to the healthcare field.
I would put it in the non OT volunteer section or the OT and Health related volunteer. I shadowed my uncle who is a chiropractor and was thinking of putting that! I'm not sure where I'm going to put it, but t wouldnt hurt.

Last edited:
I would put it in the non OT volunteer section or the OT and Health related volunteer. I shadowed my uncle who is a chiropractor and was thinking of putting that! I'm not sure where I'm going to put it, but t wouldnt hurt.

From a current OT student, I would advise to definitely include this. Programs like to see that you have a dynamic view of the health field - mentioning that you shadowed other positions but still chose OT says something about you and your chosen career path. Best of luck with applications! :)

From a current OT student, I would advise to definitely include this. Programs like to see that you have a dynamic view of the health field - mentioning that you shadowed other positions but still chose OT says something about you and your chosen career path. Best of luck with applications! :)

This might be a silly question, but can I mention the name of the OT I shadowed in my essay? I assume I can since her name is in my references section anyway. The only names (if any) that I would have to change are the patient names, correct?

Sorry for the delay! Due to HIPAA laws, you will certainly need to change the patients names if you decide to use specific examples. Assuming the person you shadowed underneath agreed to be your reference, you should be okay. However, I chose to err on the side of caution and not mention the name of my practioner, but instead discussed only my experiences underneath them (ex. "While shadowing an occupational therapist within the outpatient clinical setting...").

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview for UTHSC next month and am extremely nervous! Do you mind telling me what kind of questions they ask in the interview? Also, what's your stats if you don't mind me asking? Congrats!

I am, but applying for schools in the more so in the midwest

Last edited:
I have! Most of the schools I am applying to have admissions for Fall or Summer. My list of schools are in MA/NY:

Tufts, Sacred Heart, Columbia, NYU, SUNY Downstate, Sage College, Bay Path U, AIC, Springfield College

The waiting is driving me crazy!

My daughter is in her first year at Tufts. She's really enjoying the program. She also got into NYU, but very expensive to live there. She got scholarships at Tufts which helps. Best wishes to you!

I have! Most of the schools I am applying to have admissions for Fall or Summer. My list of schools are in MA/NY:

Tufts, Sacred Heart, Columbia, NYU, SUNY Downstate, Sage College, Bay Path U, AIC, Springfield College

The waiting is driving me crazy!

My daughter is in her first year at Tufts. She's really enjoying the program. She also got into NYU, but very expensive to live there. She got scholarships at Tufts which helps. Best wishes to you!

That is so exciting and encouraging to hear! Tufts is my first choice and I am dying to go there. I'm so nervous to hear from them.

She got her acceptance to Tufts on March 3 of 2014. Right after that she was admitted to NYU. So, it should be any time for you! Best wishes for good news! They're having their 4th or 5th snow day at Tufts in the last couple weeks. ❄️⛄️

Tufts has a wonderful study abroad option, too.

Last edited:
Thank you SO much for the info, YayOT! I hope Tufts stays on schedule - I recently got admission to another program which wants me to decide soon so I am a bit more antsy than I was before on getting a decision from Tufts soon. Crossies!

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
jka252: My daughter's friend just got into Tufts today! She was also accepted at Boston University and WUSTL. She lives in California and apparently might want to go to USC if she gets in. My daughter told me it's more for family reasons and her boyfriend lives in CA. So, it looks like they're starting to send out notices from Tufts. Fingers crossed for you!

Thank you so much for letting me know, yayot!!!! Your support is much appreciated as I wait! :) Also - I recieved an email from Tufts today saying that my application status had a decision but when I checked it just said "submitted"...not sure what's that about. Getting a bit nervous.

Thank you so much for letting me know, yayot!!!! Your support is much appreciated as I wait! :) Also - I recieved an email from Tufts today saying that my application status had a decision but when I checked it just said "submitted"...not sure what's that about. Getting a bit nervous.

update: i found it! and was admitted!!! i am shaking with joy!!!!

Hallelujah!! I'm so glad you got into your first choice school! :clap:My daughter is really enjoying it---record-breaking snow and all! :D They're in the process of relocating the OT Dept. to a new building in another area of campus. Supposed to have more space and there will other graduate programs in the same building. Best wishes to you for a successful start in the Fall!

update: i found it! and was admitted!!! i am shaking with joy!!!!
jka252: Congratulations on your acceptance to Tufts! Did you happen to hear back from Sage?

@bz89 - Thank you! And I have not, have you? I'm not sure when they are suppose to give acceptances, but I kind of assumed they would give them around now.

I thought we would have heard by now, too. Got the impression Sage was aiming for some time in February. Maybe they received more applications than anticipated. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.