Anyone do hardware injections? What do you bill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drrosenrosen

Pain Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't do them often, but sometimes, it seems that pedicle screws or Harrington rods are really what's generating the pain. I follow the "anesthetize what hurts" diagnostic plan and just inject some marcaine right where it hurts. I've never been sure what to code for these injections. I imagine that there might be some shredded remnants of medial branch nerve living there somewhere near the screws, but since I do them in the office I certainly don't bill MBB. Does anybody else inject on hardware? What do you code for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems as though the depth varies. Sometimes I think there is a damaged MB in there someplace. Other times infiltrating around the more superficial hardware works. I'm not sure there's only one type of problem with hardware. I think some PLLS could be neuropathic from damaged MBs (CRPS II?) and some is from the soft tissues around the nuts and bolts.

It seems as though the depth varies. Sometimes I think there is a damaged MB in there someplace. Other times infiltrating around the more superficial hardware works. I'm not sure there's only one type of problem with hardware. I think some PLLS could be neuropathic from damaged MBs (CRPS II?) and some is from the soft tissues around the nuts and bolts.

are you coding that as CRPS2?

lol

I was wondering this question as well. IF you do it under fluro, couldnt you still bill this as a paravertebral facet injection (aka mbb)? As someone indicated, its likely there is still some of those mbbs that are still there. On the flip side, I know you can not bill to RF that particular facet, since you can not bill for an RFA at a level of fusion ......

Other peripheral nerve also seems interesting......and I gues you could bill fluro code w/ that as well...I'm assuming you are using fluro/ultrasound.

Somewhere in the CPT advisor booklets, they said 64999 for hardware injection. I believe I've always gotten it paid, it just takes months.

when one of hte SCS reps was sort of putting down one of the spine surgeons he stated: "Dr X will send you a whole bunch of hardware blocks. YOu know you dont get paid for that right?"

So.....I dont know what to believe...If you bill as 64999

bumping this - any updates on how to bill for a hardware block correctly?

Trigger point + fluoro?

Our office seems to get a lot of referrals for them. I hear of a few insurance companies saying they do not pay.

We code 64999 and fluoro - we get a few denials from insurance

marvel hammer said you have to bill a 64999 in a workshop I attended a few years back

marvel hammer said you have to bill a 64999 in a workshop I attended a few years back

Sorry, but my response to that is .....whatever

I don't bill 64999 for anything because you almost never get paid for that code. If I "have" to use 64999 for a procedure then it automatically becomes a cash pay procedure. I don't work for free if I can help it.

TPI + fluoro is reasonable given what you are doing and certain to be paid.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, but my response to that is .....whatever

I don't bill 64999 for anything because you almost never get paid for that code. If I "have" to use 64999 for a procedure then it automatically becomes a cash pay procedure. I don't work for free if I can help it.

TPI + fluoro is reasonable given what you are doing and certain to be paid.
May be 'reasonable', but also is fraud. Your target is not the trigger point, it's the hardware.