Anyone else afraid of becoming simply a drug pusher?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to be a doctor but as I learn more about Big Pharma it frightens me to think most of my patients won't be happy unless they walk out with a prescription. I'm sure some of you know that most diseases and ailments can be cured with a strict plant based diet. (yes even cancer) I wanted to combat this fear by specializing in Emergency Medicine. Yeah I know about the all the pain med seekers in the ER but those "Narcs" don't bother me because opium has been around for thousands of years. It's those cancer, cholesterol, hypertension, depression meds that worry me.

Cold Medicines are a multi billion dollar industry but the only cure for a cold is your own immune system and rest.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:wtf: Kevin Trudeau, is that you?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, most of us don't know or agree that cancer can be cured by becoming a vegan. Eating healthy can help, but I put my faith in multiple treatments.

Reactions: 13 users
No, most of us don't know or agree that cancer can be cured by becoming a vegan. Eating healthy can help, but I put my faith in multiple treatments.

I said "some" not most so thank your for proving my sentiment.

1597771058.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I think you should talk about it in PS.

Reactions: 12 users
I've always wanted to be a doctor but as I learn more about Big Pharma it frightens me to think most of my patients won't be happy unless they walk out with a prescription.
This issue is one reason why it's important to have good rapport with patients. It isn't inherently true that "most patients won't be happy unless they walk out with a prescription." Part of your job as a physician is to educate patients. They didn't go to medical school; you did. So they don't always know what they need or want, even if they think they do. And since patients who don't feel well mostly just want to feel better (ex. the patients with colds that you mentioned), treating people's symptoms can be very effective, even if you can't "cure" their disease.

I'm sure some of you know that most diseases and ailments can be cured with a strict plant based diet. (yes even cancer) I wanted to combat this fear by specializing in Emergency Medicine. Yeah I know about the all the pain med seekers in the ER but those "Narcs" don't bother me because opium has been around for thousands of years. It's those cancer, cholesterol, hypertension, depression meds that worry me.
You're making the exact same logical error as those who blindly espouse Western medicine by buying into this nonsense. There is no synthetic or "natural" panacea that cures "most diseases and ailments." The drug companies are neither the beatific saviors of mankind that they portray themselves to be, nor the irredeemable villains they're made out to be by the anti-corporate conspiracy theorists. Some of what they do is good and some isn't; ditto for the products they make.

Reactions: 13 users
This is a known troll. Don't waste your time, all.

:troll:

Reactions: 7 users
I've always wanted to be a doctor but as I learn more about Big Pharma it frightens me to think most of my patients won't be happy unless they walk out with a prescription. I'm sure some of you know that most diseases and ailments can be cured with a strict plant based diet. (yes even cancer) I wanted to combat this fear by specializing in Emergency Medicine. Yeah I know about the all the pain med seekers in the ER but those "Narcs" don't bother me because opium has been around for thousands of years. It's those cancer, cholesterol, hypertension, depression meds that worry me.

Cold Medicines are a multi billion dollar industry but the only cure for a cold is your own immune system and rest.

Then become a delusional liar (naturopathic doctor )

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Your ignorance is appalling.

Reactions: 9 users
Oh good, it's this guy again.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I wish was emphasized more was the potential side effects of medications and really only taking medication if you need it. Patients need to really weigh the potential pros and cons of taking a medication and assess whether or not it is worth it. But this requires patients to be active and informed in their own healthcare choices and decisions.

Antibiotics come to mind. Handed out like candy and nobody is taking into account the potential GI issues and oxidative stress that comes with it. Long term antibiotic use for acne comes to mind. Or people with viruses expecting a quick fix.

Reactions: 1 users
Antibiotics come to mind. Handed out like candy and nobody is taking into account the potential GI issues and oxidative stress that comes with it. Long term antibiotic use for acne comes to mind. Or people with viruses expecting a quick fix.
This is one of the things that "organized medicine" has done a good job with in CA. Look at the CMA Foundation's initiative on antibiotic use.

Reactions: 3 users
Diarrhea and a little GI upset is a nuisance, but it's not what keeps me up at night. Neither is antibiotic resistance, bad of a problem as that is. What scares me is unknown drug allergies. The first time you give someone an antibiotic and they proceed to have an anaphylactic reaction to it right in front of you where you think you might have to intubate them, you will quickly gain respect for the danger of giving patients unnecessary antibiotics. That's the kind of bad day at work where you need to make use of that spare pair of scrub pants. :-d

Reactions: 6 users
a63.jpg

:rolleyes: Another quality thread by @TheBatman . I used to think you were a really poor excuse for a troll, but you're getting better. Still not good enough though.

Reactions: 2 users
Another reason to learn a surgical skill. Something you can't look up on uptodate or micromedex

This issue is one reason why it's important to have good rapport with patients. It isn't inherently true that "most patients won't be happy unless they walk out with a prescription." Part of your job as a physician is to educate patients. They didn't go to medical school; you did. So they don't always know what they need or want, even if they think they do. And since patients who don't feel well mostly just want to feel better (ex. the patients with colds that you mentioned), treating people's symptoms can be very effective, even if you can't "cure" their disease.

You're making the exact same logical error as those who blindly espouse Western medicine by buying into this nonsense. There is no synthetic or "natural" panacea that cures "most diseases and ailments." The drug companies are neither the beatific saviors of mankind that they portray themselves to be, nor the irredeemable villains they're made out to be by the anti-corporate conspiracy theorists. Some of what they do is good and some isn't; ditto for the products they make.

I agree with what you say and you're a "physician" so I can't argue with much. However speaking to highly experienced IM and FM docs they paint a particularly different picture. With the up and coming generation that is technology savvy, there is a new problem. Some of the older patients in todays time don't even know how to turn on a computer. So they can't go to google and research what ailment they might have and what's the best drug for it before they go to their doctor. Where as the up and coming generation is the exact opposite, their first doctor is the internet. They will research before they come to the doctors office and know what they want. One of the doctors told me people will print out papers off the internet and present them to him when he refused the drug they requested. However most people don't understand is that these drugs only cure the symptoms and cause many many side effects. One of the doctors graduated from a very prestigious Medical school and yet patients take the Internets word before his.

This isn't a conspiracy so please don't make it seem as if it is. As I said before we have some of the best tools mankind has seen EVER seen and we still can't seem to come up with cures. Only pills that temporary cure symptoms until you need another pill. In present time I can almost guarantee you that we would never have come up with a the cure for polio. Isn't it odd that the only treatment for HIV is a cocktail of expensive pills that only keeps the Virus at bay. These are the same pills you have to take for your entire life. I'm sure some of you heard about the possible cure diabetes that was discovered not too long ago. Guess what happened? It was defunded by none other than big Pharma.

I agree with what you say and you're a "physician" so I can't argue with much. However speaking to highly experienced IM and FM docs they paint a particularly different picture. With the up and coming generation that is technology savvy, there is a new problem. Some of the older patients in todays time don't even know how to turn on a computer. So they can't go to google and research what ailment they might have and what's the best drug for it before they go to their doctor. Where as the up and coming generation is the exact opposite, their first doctor is the internet. They will research before they come to the doctors office and know what they want. One of the doctors told me people will print out papers off the internet and present them to him when he refused the drug they requested. However most people don't understand is that these drugs only cure the symptoms and cause many many side effects. One of the doctors graduated from a very prestigious Medical school and yet patients take the Internets word before his.

This isn't a conspiracy so please don't make it seem as if it is. As I said before we have some of the best tools mankind has seen EVER seen and we still can't seem to come up with cures. Only pills that temporary cure symptoms until you need another pill. In present time I can almost guarantee you that we would never have come up with a the cure for polio. Isn't it odd that the only treatment for HIV is a cocktail of expensive pills that only keeps the Virus at bay. These are the same pills you have to take for your entire life. I'm sure some of you heard about the possible cure diabetes that was discovered not too long ago. Guess what happened? It was defunded by none other than big Pharma.
HIV used to be a death sentence. That cocktail has saved countless lives.

Reactions: 5 users
HIV used to be a death sentence. That cocktail has saved countless lives.

And so was polio, not to the same degree but it was very dangerous. We barely even hear about in today's time. Magic Johnson contracted HIV at the same time it was a "death" sentence. Luckily for him he had money which is the only reason why he's still alive

And so was polio, not to the same degree but it was very dangerous. We barely even hear about in today's time. Magic Johnson contracted HIV at the same time it was a "death" sentence. Luckily for him he had money which is the only reason why he's still alive
You really should share your profoundly deep and unique set of knowledge with the adcoms, I think they would love to hear what you think about "Big Pharma".

The registered nurse in this article was also diagnosed in the early 90's.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/01/health/hiv-today/?c=&page=1
And I'm guessing he's not wealthy like Magic.

CNN? Is this is the same network that gets most of its off air revenue from pharma companies? Just watch one commercial break and count how many drug advertisements there are. Come back and report.
Ok fine... So HIV was engineered by the Illuminati...

This is one of the things that "organized medicine" has done a good job with in CA. Look at the CMA Foundation's initiative on antibiotic use.

Thanks for the information, gyngyn. I just looked it up and saw they've been doing the AWARE project since 2000. Good stuff!

Are you a waiter or a physician?

If you educate the patient on not needing antibiotics and they walk out, so be it. Same with not needing narcotic pain medicine, nobody is forcing you to give unneeded medication. YOU are the clinician. Not the patient.

no, i'll look into the consequences of what i'm prescribing and how it applies before doing so. i'll go over all the different options available. I won't adopt a policy of "always use this drug for x, y and z treatment" because medicine is more individualized than that. Insight into these medicines is especially important because there is very poor insight into the long term effects of many. i'd rather be conservative than pushy.

The description in your post doesn't match the description in the title. A "pusher" is someone who tries to get someone else to do something they otherwise wouldn't do. Giving patients what they ask for isn't "pushing."

I, for one, would much rather see a doctor who makes SUGGESTIONS without being, "pushy." My primary care educates his patients and pretty much lets us do what we want within reason. I like seeing him because he allows me, the patient, to make an informed decision without undue force or "pushiness."

That all being said, there's nothing wrong with saying, "no," to a patient who is entirely unreasonable due to an addition or something, and requests unnecessary medication in gigantic amounts.

Last edited:
A lot of things would be in the Dark Ages without modern medical treatments.
We're risking going back to the dark ages anyway thanks to antibiotic resistance and the reluctance of pharmaceutical companies to invest in new antibiotics. That's my real gripe with pharmaceutical companies.

For starters, polio is no longer a medical problem in this hemisphere because of vaccination, not treatment.

There is no HIV vaccine, nor is there likely to be one, for at least another decade, because the virus is quite good at evading immune responses. However, HAART is really good at keeping the virus in check, and also good at preventing transmission.

Pubmed is your friend.

Instead of insulting my "ignorance" why not enlighten me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For starters, polio is no longer a medical problem in this hemisphere because of vaccination, not treatment.

There is no HIV vaccine, nor is there likely to be one, for at least another decade, because the virus is quite good at evading immune responses. However, HAART is really good at keeping the virus in check, and also good at preventing transmission.

Pubmed is your friend.

I know it's not a problem because there's a cure, that's exactly what I've been reiterating. Talk to any PhD in Molecular Biology, they'll gladly tell you that their primary goal has always been and always will be a "functional cure".

The thing you don't realize is that if there was a cure for cancer, someone would be currently making millions/billions/trillions off of it. The other thing you don't realize is that cancer is not one thing, but a group of things with similar characteristics. Kind of like how housecats and tigers are both cats but no one suggests spraying a tiger with water when you want it to stop doing something.

Also, you can't be TheBatman and have a picture of "Bruce Wayne." That's just dumb.

I think your trolling will improve with maturity as well as with better command of written English.

I've never read anything so stupid in my life.

Just out of curiosity, how far along are you in your premed career?

We're risking going back to the dark ages anyway thanks to antibiotic resistance and the reluctance of pharmaceutical companies to invest in new antibiotics. That's my real gripe with pharmaceutical companies.
Sadly, I know very little about antibiotic resistance. I am aware that resistance to drugs develops, but I didn't know this specifically was being neglected by pharmaceutical companies (which should be a no brainer in terms of priorities).
On the other hand, I am aware that chronic pain is not given the attention it needs. Medications are over-prescribed, under-prescribed, and proper exercise is often not part of the treatment plan.

They should have an SDN list of all time most hilarious posts. You really should evaluate your post for actual facts.

Vitamin D3 and Retinoic Acid (vitamin A derivative) do cure some cancers….