Anyone else feel like this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DancingFajitas

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a 4th yr medical student doing a Sub-I at a hospital with zero residents. Its pretty much just me, the nurses, and a random doctor or two. The attending I'm with will come and go, he is usually there in the morning and then leaves me alone all day....so of course, I am paniced. Yes, I can call him if I need help, but no one wants to harass an attending all day. I feel incompetent and I'm forgetting even the smallest things that I A) knew a week ago or B) know when I get home and am not forced to think under pressure. Its frustrating, but I understand that it is all part of learning, yada, yada. I'm just wondering who else felt/feels like this and what can I do to get better and have more confidence and not panic when I get stuck with a CHF patient who is currently extremely SOB and in aflutter...HELP!!

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like an odd situation. How did you end up doing a sub-I somewhere without real interns or residents?

What does the attending expect you to be doing all day? At least in my state, medical students can't write orders unless they're co-signed by a doctor, so I don't understand your role in this system.

It is a small hospital kind of dwarfed by the larger university hospital. He signs my orders eventually, but generally I'm there all day doing things by myself really without a clue as to what I'm really doing. Its no fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your school know about this?

I cannot imagine this meets the requirements/standards for a Sub-I. Besides being a little scary, you're wasting time when you could be learning. Where is the attending when he leaves the hospital? In his office? If so, why aren't you there with him?

I'm having a hard time fathoming that this is a legitimate rotation that your school endorses. I'd either speak to him about it, and inquire as to his expectations for the rotation and how you can make them meet your's as well as your school requirements or let your school know and get you pulled of the rotation.

What about medications? Do you actually treat your patients?

Yeah, he said I could start anything or d/c stuff if I thought it was indicated. But most of the time I only start or stop something after I've checked in with him. I just don't have the confidence at this point to order a ton of studies or medications on my own.

i think starters alway feels what you feel. everyone who is new to work feels the same way. all you have to do is study. you must not afraid to learn. if you don't know what to do don't be afraid to ask question with other people around you. ask help if it is really needed.

Moving thread to Clinical Rotations as it concerns MS-IV sub-Is.