Anyone else going to Columbia Revisit This Weekend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oak

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering.

If anyone else is going, what time do you get in - perhaps we could split a cab. Additionally, anyone know when things start on thurs/Fri - my attachments from Stacy Warren's email didn't load.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually leaving tonight so I can spend a couple days in the city as a little vacation. My schedule says my first meeting is at 10:20am, but there is no mention of a welcome or anything in the morning. Also, there was supposed to be a dinner on thursday night, but she didn't say anything about this in her email?!

check your PM

I'll be coming in on Thursday afternoon.

There are two schedules that Stacy sent to me. Check all of the attachments. One is for the faculty meetings, one is for the general Friday agenda and another if you signed up for the weekend activities. Friday starts bright and early (at 7:30 am) and the dinner on Thursday is fairly late (8:15 pm).

If either of you would like the rest of the info, feel free to PM me. (I got three attachments :oops:)

Members don't see this ad :)
three attachments?! I got two attachments, but one of them was blank. Now I'm confused because I signed up for all of the activities as well.

I PMed you too leverp

tedrik said:
three attachments?! I got two attachments, but one of them was blank. Now I'm confused because I signed up for all of the activities as well.

I PMed you too leverp

I'll PM you the other schedules.

Looks like you can take the M60 bus from LaGuardia to the stop at Columbia Undergrad (around 125 street) and then either the 104 bus or the 1/9 train to 79th street, this should be about three blocks north of the hotel. Travel time is probably kinda long though.

Anyone know if they reimburse for cab fare?

p.s. PM sent to leverpro regarding arrival time/ airport.

Oak said:
Looks like you can take the M60 bus from LaGuardia to the stop at Columbia Undergrad (around 125 street) and then either the 104 bus or the 1/9 train to 79th street, this should be about three blocks north of the hotel. Travel time is probably kinda long though.

The M60 takes about half an hour to get from LaGuardia to Broadway & 125th; you can expect to wait up to 10-15 minutes for one to come. Then maybe another 10-20 minutes for the subway to 79th, depending on how long it takes to come. Don't take the bus to the hotel, it's really slow & a big pain with luggage, plus 125th & B'way is kind of a skeevy place to be waiting for long. (Although there's an enormous stairway up to the elevated 1/9 at 125th, so maybe it's a toss-up.)

Cab from the airport is easiest; should be maybe 30 min total. The NY Dept of Transportation suggests it should cost $16-26 but I feel like it usually comes out to more like $35 including tip.

Have fun, it's a nice weekend. I may see some of you if I hit the dinner on Thursday. (Although I'm not sure I'll feel like announcing to everyone that I spend my free time surfing SDN... :laugh: )

I am visiting Columbia this weekend too--except I'll be flying into JFK on Thursday. Any one else have the same schedule?

I'm assuming that dress is casual, but does anyone know for sure?

I wasn't able to make it to the Columbia Revisit Weekend... Anyone want to give me a brief overview...? Was it good? How would you describe the school, the people, the other prospectives? Are any of you planning on going there in the fall? I'm still undecided...

oceans412 said:
I wasn't able to make it to the Columbia Revisit Weekend... Anyone want to give me a brief overview...? Was it good? How would you describe the school, the people, the other prospectives? Are any of you planning on going there in the fall? I'm still undecided...

All of the other applicants (especially those who posted in this thread) were complete A** Holes!!!

Just Kidding :D

IMO, the MSTPs and other applicants there seeme to be (mostly) well adjusted and fun people - but, then again, i'm probably biased because I'll most likely be going there. The first years seemed very happy with the pass/fail grading and block exam schedule. Maybe if you had a more specific question, I could be of more help - what field are you interested in?

They did drop what seemed like quite a bit of cash on us applicants to show us a good time (many dinners with OPEN BAR, hotel, ect.) From what i can tell, the re-visit was pretty standard. We got a research talk from Richard Axel, talked about the program, met with our choice of faculty, saw a class, got a tour. The rest of the weekend was spent playing in NYC.

If you're seriously considering P&S, I'd call up Ms. Warren and arrange for a re-visit. I'm sure they'd foot the bill for travel at the very least. You may want to hurry though, because they seem to have this idea that they'll get a decision from their applicants by may 2nd.

Everyone was great, even Oak ;)

It's definitely a good crowd. Too bad you didn't make it, since revisit is mostly for meeting your future classmates. The school is amazing, and the people are amazing, one of the best groups I've met. My only concern was that I felt like neuro was too heavily emphasized... since that wasn't exactly what I wanted to do, it was difficult for me to find a lot of labs, although the ones I was interested in were great.

I won't say for now if I'll be going there. Wouldn't it be weird if the program directors read this site? I'd rather have them find out from me directly.

What are your other options? Perhaps we could offer more info if you had specific questions or places for comparison.

oceans412 said:

oceans412 said:

I had a great time meeting all the prospective students - even oak - as well as the current students. They definitely promoted their strengths in neuroscience, which was great for those of us headed in that direction. They also said that a couple of people couldn't make it to the revisit, but were able to arrange for individual meetings. However, one student told me that you don't get nearly the same experience as the normal revisit people, because they basically just take you to lunch and let you meet some faculty. So if you do take the suggestion of arranging your own revisit, try not to feel like they do a weak job of recruiting.

Other than that, it would definitely help if you asked specific questions. I'm sure we'd all be glad to answer them! Can I ask which schools you're choosing from and what are the criteria that you are going to be basing your decision on?

good luck!

I really enjoyed the revisit. Definitely a good time for meeting other prospective students as well as current students. The time spent exploring New York city was very enjoyable, and probably something that you may not be able to arrange if you want to revisit. There were a few faculty visits which were great and not very formal.

Overall, it's a great school with a lot to offer, and I'd definitely recommend visiting (especially if you're interested in neuroscience).

I still haven't made up my mind completely, because of the whole leaving family issue (thats what i'll be doing on May 1st at 11:59 pm :oops:).

PM me or post if you have any other specific questions.