Anyone else have trouble deciding on a third LOR writer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two "definites" picked out, but I can't decide on a third.. The two possibilities have both been my thesis advisors (meaning they've seen/presumablely liked my work, but have also seen me in that "thesis state" of stress ;)). One's a fairly prominent name in my subfield but is in a non-school/clinical/counseling discipline; the other is a clinical professor but not in my subfield. I'm finding it difficult to get a read on who has the better opinion of me and who would actually give me a "better-suited" rec...

And then one of my programs requires 5 recs! :eek: Who gets to know five different psych professors that well?:confused:

Anyone else have/having difficult choosing one or more of your recommenders?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Meeee!

Similar dilemma. One is the PI of the lab I'm in, very well-known in clinical and close to my interests. The other is my thesis advisor, not exactly the best fit, but loves me and thinks I'm God's gift to research.

Then I could go with the psychologist at my clinical internship, but that's not research, only clinical. Or I could go with the prof at the other lab I've worked in who'se not clinical and nowhere close to my interests, but very well-known (bordering on famous).

I'm glad none of my programs need 5 letters. I'd be, pardon my French, SCREWED!

I'm thinking about taking up another research job at another school in m area to get a better-suited rec. I'm seriously considering it...

Meeee!

Similar dilemma. One is the PI of the lab I'm in, very well-known in clinical and close to my interests. The other is my thesis advisor, not exactly the best fit, but loves me and thinks I'm God's gift to research.

Then I could go with the psychologist at my clinical internship, but that's not research, only clinical. Or I could go with the prof at the other lab I've worked in who'se not clinical and nowhere close to my interests, but very well-known (bordering on famous).

I'm glad none of my programs need 5 letters. I'd be, pardon my French, SCREWED!

I'm thinking about taking up another research job at another school in m area to get a better-suited rec. I'm seriously considering it...

Yes, but then that person might not know you well enough to write a solid rec (I've had a similar dilema).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two "definites" picked out, but I can't decide on a third.. The two possibilities have both been my thesis advisors (meaning they've seen/presumablely liked my work, but have also seen me in that "thesis state" of stress ;)). One's a fairly prominent name in my subfield but is in a non-school/clinical/counseling discipline; the other is a clinical professor but not in my subfield. I'm finding it difficult to get a read on who has the better opinion of me and who would actually give me a "better-suited" rec...

Anyone else have/having difficult choosing one or more of your recommenders?

I sent in an extra letter to all of my schools because I was in a similar situation as you. No one commented that I sent in too many letters, so it wasn't a problem. If you're worried about it being an issue, you could also contact the schools to ask if it would be okay to send the extra one.

I sent in one extra letter as well. This was because some of my letter recomenders, while known for their brilliant research, were not exactly known for being reliable and organized if you know what I mean. My paranoia was well founded as one professor didn't bother to get his letters in (or even to let me know that he wouldn't be able to), despite promising to do so and recieving numerous reminders.

You never know when something like this will happen, so I'd always suggest that people give more letters then neccesary if that is an option. An extra letter won't hurt at all.

I sent in one extra letter as well. This was because some of my letter recomenders, while known for their brilliant research, were not exactly known for being reliable and organized if you know what I mean. My paranoia was well founded as one professor didn't bother to get his letters in (or even to let me know that he wouldn't be able to), despite promising to do so and recieving numerous reminders.

You never know when something like this will happen, so I'd always suggest that people give more letters then neccesary if that is an option. An extra letter won't hurt at all.

I asked about sending an extra letter and the general consensus was that 90% of the time it's a great idea, and 10% of the time, it's a deal-breaker. I was advised to ask before I send in a 4th.

I asked about sending an extra letter and the general consensus was that 90% of the time it's a great idea, and 10% of the time, it's a deal-breaker. I was advised to ask before I send in a 4th.

I think all of the schools which I applied to actually addressed recieving extra letters in the application instructions. They would say something along the lines of "Include a minimum of three and a maximum of five letters of recomendation". Of course your experiences may be different, but it's definitely worth looking at.

I think all of the schools which I applied to actually addressed recieving extra letters in the application instructions. They would say something along the lines of "Include a minimum of three and a maximum of five letters of recomendation". Of course your experiences may be different, but it's definitely worth looking at.

This is exactly what we, as applicants, need to look out for. I wish they would all just read as many as you provide... but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to be the one reading 6,000 LOR's...

lol, good idea... have back-ups ready, eh?

There is another option... I did this to insure that one bad letter wouldn't kill me. One of my profs got sabotaged by a letter writer without knowing until too late. What I did was I rotated my letter writers so no 1 letter writer could kill my chances at all schools... be it by not getting letters in on time or writing a bad letter. I used 5 letter writers and picked the strongest for my best programs.

Mark

There is another option... I did this to insure that one bad letter wouldn't kill me. One of my profs got sabotaged by a letter writer without knowing until too late. What I did was I rotated my letter writers so no 1 letter writer could kill my chances at all schools... be it by not getting letters in on time or writing a bad letter. I used 5 letter writers and picked the strongest for my best programs.

Mark

That's a good idea. Now I just need 3 more letter-writers to make 5 ; )