Anyone ever lie on their secondary essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codebarno

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really this question only applies to the adversity essays. Obviously, I'm not saying lie about something as drastic as my mom has cancer but there are plenty of stories that can be made up and wrote about in the adversity essays. So has anyone ever done it before and how did it work out? Please do not attach your feelings to your response, I do not care about your stance on lying. Let's be real for a second, schools want to hear sob stories. They don't care about any of our problems that aren't related to being "disadvantaged" because god forbid our parents make good financial decisions so we can have better lives. Anyways I digress. So if you have or know anyone who made up their adversity essay how did it work out for you. Also, for any of you SJW BLM supporters I am an asian male from an immigrant family so don't even try the white privilege angle.

Members don't see this ad.

Adversity essays aren't so much about the challenge as they are about how you dealt with it. (or at least they shouldn't be)

Members don't see this ad :)
Really this question only applies to the adversity essays. Obviously, I'm not saying lie about something as drastic as my mom has cancer but there are plenty of stories that can be made up and wrote about in the adversity essays. So has anyone ever done it before and how did it work out? Please do not attach your feelings to your response, I do not care about your stance on lying. Let's be real for a second, schools want to hear sob stories. They don't care about any of our problems that aren't related to being "disadvantaged" because god forbid our parents make good financial decisions so we can have better lives. Anyways I digress. So if you have or know anyone who made up their adversity essay how did it work out for you. Also, for any of you SJW BLM supporters I am an asian male from an immigrant family so don't even try the white privilege angle.

Damn, dude. Who hurt you?

Reactions: 14 users
As one of the SJW BLM people you're maligning, I think you need to ask yourself if you really want a career where you are obligated to care for people.

Anyway, I did not tell a sob story and was ultimately offered admission.

Also, for any of you SJW BLM supporters I am an asian male from an immigrant family so don't even try the white privilege angle.

Reactions: 5 users
DO NOT QUOTE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

For Baylor I wrote that my parents were both refugees who taught me what gruelling work and humble dedication can get you in life. My father is actually a hedge fund manager who bought me a Miata for my 17th birthday and to this day I don't understand the value of a dollar. Doesn't matter now, I'm in baby!

AGAIN, DO NOT QUOTE, IT COULD DESTROY MY LIFE

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes, the world can be a very small place.
I shudder to think of all the ones you did not catch.

What kind of applicants are ya'll attracting?

Reactions: 1 users
Today was a day full of application falsehoods and trickery, I'm sad to say.

I have faith in the fact that those who do slip through the cracks won't be able to handle medical school. That's what I tell myself anyway; I wouldn't know, I'm a pre-med, but I can hope :)

Reactions: 1 user
Today was a day full of application falsehoods and trickery, I'm sad to say.
You can't just leave us hanging like that!

I have faith in the fact that those who do slip through the cracks won't be able to handle medical school. That's what I tell myself anyway; I wouldn't know, I'm a pre-med, but I can hope :)
Hope springs eternal :shrug:

I personally think any field that screens for ambition and competitiveness will attract a small, but significant chunk of sociopaths -- but that's just me.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, for any of you SJW BLM supporters I am an asian male from an immigrant family so don't even try the white privilege angle.

Really? You seem like a winner; best of luck in your cycle. Hopefully you're internet personal doesn't shine through in your actual life.

Despite the antics that sometimes occur in this subforum, preallo isn't the place for you to air your political grievances.

From what I've seen and heard among my friends and these boards, it is very common to exaggerate things (esp. activity hours) and not at all rare even to outright fake them. I'm sure personal statements and secondaries often have embellished or wholly invented stories too about challenges overcome etc. Some big lies might be possible to catch (way to go Gyngyn!) but I suspect most little fibs aren't.

I have faith in the fact that those who do slip through the cracks won't be able to handle medical school. That's what I tell myself anyway
Wish I could believe this, but I don't think willingness to lie and academic ability are related like that

You can't just leave us hanging like that!
I would really like to post them all but some of them are so weird and identifiable that the parties involved would know immediately. Lets just say that my other favorite included a false LOE from a parent.

From what I've seen and heard among my friends and these boards, it is very common to exaggerate things (esp. activity hours) and not at all rare even to outright fake them. I'm sure personal statements and secondaries often have embellished or wholly invented stories too about challenges overcome etc. Some big lies might be possible to catch (way to go Gyngyn!) but I suspect most little fibs aren't.

Wish I could believe this, but I don't think willingness to lie and academic ability are related like that
Hey elfey!

It's pretty easy to give-in to the temptation to lie if:

1) The yield is great -- i.e. you think it will make a big impact on your application

2) You think the risk is low.

3) You lack the kind of ethical core that would repel you from this sort of thing (for whatever reason.)

Last edited:
Can you honestly not think of any time you've had some adversity?

One time I burned my tounge on some really hot pizza and it hurt for like 2 days. If you want you can lie and say my story was yours. I won't tell. PM me if you need the details.

Reactions: 11 users
Hey elfey!

It's pretty easy to give-in to the temptation to lie if:

1) The yield is great -- i.e. you think it will make a big impact on your application

2) You think the risk is low.

3) You lack the kind of ethical core that would repel you from this sort of thing (for whatever reason.)
Sup zed, what happened to the cute deadpool avatar?

My cynical side views 2) as "You're aware the risk is low", though. If I doubled my volunteering hours entered, I don't think anyone would call to check and even if they did, I know the supervisor doesn't track who comes in how often for how long. If I worked part time as a tutor and just completely faked a 200 hour volunteering entry of free tutoring, with a friend who would lie for me as a contact, I can't think of a way that would be caught. It's really a sense of ethics that is the big barrier, and considering how much people are willing to cheat in their academics, I don't think it's a very strong one.

imgres.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Crap, yall are making me feel insecure with my puny "adversities." My biggest one was not making a sports team in HS that I trained years for (or that I didnt make it to med school first cycle, but I think im gonna leave that out) Nothing much happened after college started till now, srs.

Mettaworldpeace, you just couldn't stay away, could you. That's OK, I like that smacking sound the Banhammer makes. Hold very still, you'll feel a slight pressure.

Reactions: 6 users
Mettaworldpeace, you just couldn't stay away, could you. That's OK, I like that smacking sound the Banhammer makes. Hold very still, you'll feel a slight pressure.

Lol you and mettaworldpeace. Yall two are like Tom and Jerry.

Yeah, and then for the rest of your professional career you have to pretend that your parents are dead? Jesus. That person clearly did not think things through.

Reactions: 3 users
sob stories are a dime a dozen. I myself am from a very legitimately disadvantaged background with a lot of adversity but I probably wont right about any of that. I didn't mention any of it in my personal statement and I ended up with a really strong and honest essay that also manages to be unique. I actually think it might be the best part about my app. I don't have a problem talking about my background but I also am making it clear in my app that it doesn't define me either by discussing many other topics and experiences i've had. I think having an essay with a positive tone would be far more beneficial. It could be as simple as discussing a class you struggled in or trying a new sport or hobby for the first time and how you dealt with being terrible at first and improved yourself. I There are so many people who focus on the other people in their lives and their mistakes or sob stories in an attempt to hold the adcom's emotions hostage but that won't make you memorable (at least not for the right reasons).

Think about it this way, if you are attracted to someone, do you want them to be attracted to you for your good qualities or do you want them to throw you a pity f*** because they think you experienced all these terrible things and had a rough go at life? I prefer the former, the latter would just piss me off. Think less about whether or not you should lie and more about what sort of tone you want to present with and how you want to be remembered. All it takes is one slip up and you're done, it's far too easy to be caught lying and risking admission into medical school is huge. At least to me it is. food for thought.

I'm an Asian male from an immigrant family myself and I'd say that you are pretty privileged.

The effects of lying on integrity and decision making are too significant to make it worth it. Also, the amount that is at risk is insanely high. From a logical risk-reward standpoint, it makes no sense, and from a personal-moral standpoint, it makes no sense.

Plus, MCAT + GPA amirite?

Unfortunately, Metta was just one of many pre-med tricksters out there. Who knows who OP is this time around.

For everyone else reading this, if you lie on your AMCAS app or your secondaries... you can get found out, you should get found out, and I hope you never enter into this profession.

For Baylor I wrote that my parents were both refugees who taught me what gruelling work and humble dedication can get you in life. My father is actually a hedge fund manager who bought me a Miata for my 17th birthday and to this day I don't understand the value of a dollar. Doesn't matter now, I'm in baby!

rekt

Oopsies

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Wait, a pre-med lying?! NO THATS IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One time I did. I was really tired, and was staying at a friends house. I had just finished my secondary essays, and they looked so comfortable, so I went for it.