Anyone getting weird messages in their separate "Apps only" email?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rudi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been getting weird messages in my email account that I specially designated for medical school application info. Yesterday, I received a message with a virus in it (fortunately, yahoo! caught it). I know spam and whatever is common, but I just opened this account and have only given my address out to AMCAS and schools. I think that mass e-mail sent out by MSSM (8/4) might have something to do with this...

Members don't see this ad.

Also, if you have a fairly common name and just add numbers at the end or something, some spammers will just send spam to everyone with a similar address.

eg: [email protected], [email protected], etc etc etc.

But other people who got the MSSM e-mail have complained about the same thing so that's probably it.

Kazema said:
Also, if you have a fairly common name and just add numbers at the end or something, some spammers will just send spam to everyone with a similar address.

eg: [email protected], [email protected], etc etc etc.

But other people who got the MSSM e-mail have complained about the same thing so that's probably it.

for me, it was the mount sinai e-mail....i've been getting e-mails from e-mail addresses that were included in the mount sinai mass e-mail....the attachments have viruses or zip files with them. It's obviously some worm or virus or whatever. I'm worried that someone may be getting some virus from my e-mail address (worms do that...and I have a web-based e-mail account too).

Members don't see this ad :)
hackers nowadays use university servers to launch their virus attacks.
it is really important to have a good anti-virus software.

You're right on about MSSM. I started a thread on this topic earlier in the week. I am getting 3-5 emails a day from people on their list. I also got another email from MSSM duplicating the info in the first one, but with more email names on it.