Anyone Going to Cornell Weill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedMan3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Insights, comments, and excitement about Cornell this August?

Members don't see this ad.

MedMan3 said:
Any Insights, comments, and excitement about Cornell this August?

I'll definitely be going there. I can't wait to meet everyone. I wonder if it'd be a good idea to get some books now, before everyone rushes to get used ones online.

it is best to wait for the school year to get books. upperclass students seem to have a tradition of selling books very cheaply or giving them free to underclassmen (usually most recent or very recent editions). if you are in the nyc area, i would recommend emailing the class listservs for 'any books people are giving away to an incoming first year' - you'll defintely get some (i was given nearly $400 worth of books - and i'll do the same when i'm done with mine).

make sure you go on camp - everybody that went loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also definitely attending cornell this fall, very excited.

Just one question - are you guys going to buy lap tops for school?

having a computer is very helpful - though not requisite by any means. the computer facilities are being upgraded again [G5's and plasma screens in the pbl rooms, large plasma screens and computer facilities in the anatomy room]. since a lot of the curriculum is online, it makes it a lot easier to have a portable computer. most people who didn't have one in the beginning of the year eventually bought one.

plus, the whole ed center by the time the school year starts should be tricked out with wireless internet throughout.

definitely don't buy books yet. wait till you talk to 2nd years, and try to buy them used. amazon can get you good prices too. the bookstore is your last option ;)

Hey all,

I just posted to the class of 2007 site, but i'm gonna try to get some more wise words of wisdom from you guys. I'd love to hold off on getting a computer, but the one i have is seriously hanging on by a wimpy hinge. It's time to get a new one.

So...

1. Is it better for me to get a computer on campus or is it okay for me to get it during the summer?

2. Are there any special student discounts for Cornell students and do I need to be in NYC to receive them?

3. Is there any special software that we need to install? If so, how much space should I set aside for it?

Thanks so much

I was just wondering if parents are invited to our white coat ceremony.
Do a lot of parents usually come?

you all might know... but baylor and their main teaching hospital "methodist hospital" had a silly catfight and now they're splitting up. methodist just paired up with cornell... and i don't know what that means for you guys but you all might get opportunities to transfer down to houston for hospital work in your later years? the methodist doctors, i believe, turn into cornell professors.

sunkists said:
you all might know... but baylor and their main teaching hospital "methodist hospital" had a silly catfight and now they're splitting up. methodist just paired up with cornell... and i don't know what that means for you guys but you all might get opportunities to transfer down to houston for hospital work in your later years? the methodist doctors, i believe, turn into cornell professors.

quick reply to above post:

yeah, seemed kinda strange when i read the article on cornell main web site, in the newspapers, etc.; but no change on the rotations front, it's not like we send people on their core rotations to quatar either !
some folks have been there (man, that place is TRICKED OUT w/ amazing stuff!) as part of student gov't/ personal interest, but aside from that the main sites remain what they are, in new york.

cornell seems to have a nack for doing.... erm... interesting(?) things (i.e. merging of the new york hospital w/ columbia-presbyterian to pool resources in tough new york market, opening a med school in 1898 like 300 miles away fr. main campus!!! building a brand new hospital over a riverfront highway artery, not to mention the qatar project!)

prmd4555 said:
I was just wondering if parents are invited to our white coat ceremony.
Do a lot of parents usually come?

1) of course they are!

2) often lots do. it's a nice day.

I look forward to meeting everyone in a couple of weeks. Quick question: have any fellow Class of 2008 students received info about housing assignments, student health insurance, etc.?? I have the orientation stuff, but that is about it.

Hey,
I haven't received anything about housing either. Does everyone get put in Olin and do you know when we can move in? See you soon!

MedMan3 said:
Hey,
I haven't received anything about housing either. Does everyone get put in Olin and do you know when we can move in? See you soon!
unfortunately, everyone gets put in olin first year unless you're married ;)

you should be able to move in the saturday before orientation starts, august 21st (unless your doing cAMP, those people can move in friday). If you're driving your stuff to 69th street, get there EARLY, as in like ~8:30am, since traffic isn't bad on saturday mornings.

btw, a lil piece of advice...If you can somehow hold onto your/your parent's health insurance instead of ours, do so for however long you can. The cost here is absurd (3.5K a year!) for so so coverage.

Hi everyone! I will definetely be at Cornell this fall... I've already met DW (tallest person on the planet... and neatest :D)... and I'm excited to meet the rest of you guys. There doesn't seem to be too many of us on SDN, though!

Anyway, about housing - I just got my room assignment in the mail a few days ago; i'll be on the 7th floor - hopefully that's a good thing?

Btw, are any of you guys doing cAMP?

Quid

oh yeah, one huge FYI for you 2008ers...

something that a lot of people in our class wish they had known before they started: DON'T ANTICIPATE GETTING YOUR STUDENT LOAN REFUND CHECK UNTIL MID SEPTEMBER!! It sure won't be there within the day or first week you get there since they can't start to process stuff until after the first day of class. That means be prepared to come here with a little bit of spending money in hand to buy stuff for your room, to eat, books, et cetera.

pass it along to anyone else you know starting up here in the fall.

Hey I am on the 7th floor too....See you there!

quideam said:
Hi everyone! I will definetely be at Cornell this fall... I've already met DW (tallest person on the planet... and neatest :D)... and I'm excited to meet the rest of you guys. There doesn't seem to be too many of us on SDN, though!

Anyway, about housing - I just got my room assignment in the mail a few days ago; i'll be on the 7th floor - hopefully that's a good thing?

Btw, are any of you guys doing cAMP?

Quid

Congrats on getting into Cornell Quid! I was rooting for you on the Yale thread. BTW, you need to update your signature :)

Treg

Aww, thanks Treg, you're so sweet!!! Good luck to you in med school next year (are you still going to Calgary?)

My signature is officially changed :)

quideam said:
Aww, thanks Treg, you're so sweet!!! Good luck to you in med school next year (are you still going to Calgary?)

My signature is officially changed :)

I am not too hot over the U of C (although it is a 3 year program, which is enticing...). I am dreaming of being at Yale next year :luck: although I have also applied to Cornell, which would be amazing!

Lucky you starting med school this fall. I am finishing up my grad degree, it is going great but I really wish I was starting now...

:)

Treg