Anyone has this problem in 1st year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys!

I just finished my first yr science in univeristy and I have to decide my major in 2 monthes. But I don't know if I shall go with life science route or math/physic route. Like most first yr science student, I took chem,physic, and bio.

I got A's in physic and math, but B's in chemistry and biology. I didn't enjoy physic and math in first yr, I just do them cuz I have to, but for some season I got pretty good marks without much effort. Wherease, I spent so much time on studying Biology and Chemistry b/c I actually enjoy the content, but I ended up getting B's in those courses. In fact, biology ended up to be my worst course, but most enjoyable one. :rolleyes:

I talked to a friend about it, he told me I should go for the major that interest me the most, cuz first year courses can't really gauge how well I will do in 2yr and on, and students tend to do better in 1st yr math and physic, b/c they require mostly plugging in equations. If I go for biology route, there's a chance I will not do too well. Is he right?

Anyone here encoutered this situation? How did you manage it?

Thanx!!

Members don't see this ad.

Major in what interests you the most & make sure you get all the prereqs that you need as well. I majored in humanities but still took all the science classes (which I, like you, loved!). I wouldn't freak too much about the Bs...it sounds like you had a *really* tough semester. Lots of lab classes are hard for most first year students (and some 4th years!). Good luck!

You need the Chemistry and Biology classes for Med School. Since you are just starting out why don't you finish up physics for engineers, go up to multivariable calc or beyond if you prefer, get yourself through Biochemistry and take Genetics and Vertebrate Physiology in Biology. You'll be all set for the MCAT and along the way probably figure out what you want to major in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smooth Operater said:
Hello Guys!

I just finished my first yr science in univeristy and I have to decide my major in 2 monthes. But I don't know if I shall go with life science route or math/physic route. Like most first yr science student, I took chem,physic, and bio.

I got A's in physic and math, but B's in chemistry and biology. I didn't enjoy physic and math in first yr, I just do them cuz I have to, but for some season I got pretty good marks without much effort. Wherease, I spent so much time on studying Biology and Chemistry b/c I actually enjoy the content, but I ended up getting B's in those courses. In fact, biology ended up to be my worst course, but most enjoyable one. :rolleyes:

I talked to a friend about it, he told me I should go for the major that interest me the most, cuz first year courses can't really gauge how well I will do in 2yr and on, and students tend to do better in 1st yr math and physic, b/c they require mostly plugging in equations. If I go for biology route, there's a chance I will not do too well. Is he right?

Anyone here encoutered this situation? How did you manage it?

Thanx!!

1st year math/physics is very different from upper-division math/physics. Did you have to do a lot of proofs in your 1st year? That's what you're going to do in math if you do that. Physics is a lot less plug-an-chug, and a lot more conceptual thinking.

But if you really like biology and chemistry, I would do those. I would caution you that upper division chemistry feels like lower division physics, and that upper division biology feels like lower division chemistry.

BubbleBobble said:
I would caution you that upper division chemistry feels like lower division physics, and that upper division biology feels like lower division chemistry.

I don't think I'd agree with that at all.

My only concern would be that you are taking bio and chem and physics all in the same year...which most of the guides I have read have a pre-med spreading those classes around. This may explain why your grades in bio and chem suffered.

And don't forget, you won't take the MCAT until the end of you junior year,w hich means much of that info won't be fresh in your head..so be sure to study up for that MCAT.

With regards to choosing a major, I am in a similar boat. My decision though is more about time than about what I want to do.

You seem to have ample time no matter what major you choose...so I would say choose the major you WANT and that you think you will do well in. The adcoms know your major is your decision, so if you choose something you suck at...theya ren't going to have much sympathy.

hey guys! thanx for the suggestions. I am studyng in a Canadian univeristy, so it requires me to take basic chem,math,physic, and bio in 1st year. I havn't taken organic chem yet. I am taking multi-variable calculus right now during the summer, so far I find it boring and ez, b/c I just need to use few equations proofed in lectures.

Medikit said:
I don't think I'd agree with that at all.
Maybe that's just me then. PChem, with its many many equations and multivariable calculus felt like physics. Biochem/pharmacology felt a lot like chemistry.

exilio said:
My only concern would be that you are taking bio and chem and physics all in the same year...which most of the guides I have read have a pre-med spreading those classes around. This may explain why your grades in bio and chem suffered.

I would definately agree with this. Beacuase of the way scheduling worked, I had to take Physics, Physics Lab, Orgo II, Orgo II Lab, Genetics, and Genetics Lab all in one semester. It was not pretty...I spent 3 semesters trying to make up for one not-so-good one.

I am really interested in Microbiology and Immunology that I wanna to do that major, but according to last yr, Biology courses are my worst courses even though I spent sooo much time on them.I might go into chemistry, which I am better at, but knowing that I won't enjoy. So I don't know... :confused:

Don't judge your biology ability by first year survey courses! I had B's in a bunch of freshman year classes including intro bio, and it nearly scared me out of being a bio major - I ended up getting all A's in my upper level bio courses like biochem, immuno, and physiol. If you are interested in the material, then you should do that, because you're going to be spending a lot of time studying it, and you're likely to do better at something you enjoy!