Anyone have a list of the different tier schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Global Warming

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when people say..apply to a low/mid/high tier school...

I was wondering if anyone had a list of all the schools based on their "tier". I'm not talking about the U.S. news ranking...but rather the tier in terms of GPA/MCAT.

For example, if I have a 4.0 45t MCAT, obviously I would go to a top tier school such as Harvard.

Members don't see this ad.

There are no official "tiers." Most people are just talking about relative position in US News rankings.

delete.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The US News rankings are essentially meaningless.
Anybody who says "I go to a top 20 school" or "What's it take to get into a top 30 school?" is just showing their ignorance.
There is no ranking system. When people refer to "tiers" they are generally referring to the schools that have the highest LizzyM scores (the schools with the highest GPA/MCAT of matriculants)

They're certainly not meaningless if you're interested in the information they use to establish the rankings.

They're certainly not meaningless if you're interested in the information they use to establish the rankings.

i agree. they're definitely not meaningless; they just reflect a certain set of priorities/focuses (foci?) that are not important to everyone. i, for one, do care (a little bit) about school rankings. flame away. i know everyone on SDN will think i'm an idiot for saying this. :rolleyes:

I guess I'll do the old fashion...which is going through MSAR.

The US News rankings are essentially meaningless.
Anybody who says "I go to a top 20 school" or "What's it take to get into a top 30 school?" is just showing their ignorance.
There is no ranking system. When people refer to "tiers" they are generally referring to the schools that have the highest LizzyM scores (the schools with the highest GPA/MCAT of matriculants)

It's not ignorance to attempt quantification of a somewhat qualitative descriptor simply for ease of conversation. It's better/easier than saying "what is is going to take to get into mayo,baylor,harvard,yale,etc.etc.?"

Anyway, I'd say the lizzyM scores of "top tier" schools is ~71+

most shcools are ranked by how much money they receive from the government to supplement research and such (i believe)...this is what you are seeing when u see those rankings and such...this is more geared toward research in medicine which is important but obviously some people are more interested in clinical medicine rather than the research end. if thats the case, i would stop looking at rankings and look at $$$

of course, haivng a top 20 on ur resume is good for residencies/employment, but it really comes down to ur professional skill (and connects!)

i always thought itd b cool to come home and tell everyone im gpoing to harvard or yale or stanford or something like that...my whole family would be so proud (not like they wouldnt be proud if i said i was going to lsu med school but you get the picture im painting)

Look, I think most of us can agree that you shouldn't base your decision on which school to attend solely on US News rankings. To say that they don't mean anything, though? No, they mean this. It's not bad information, it's not good information, it's just information. Use it how you will; only you can decide if it's important to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is misleading as each school is very much different. When you start to assign numbers it makes people think there is an official ranking system. It is much more accurate to say "top tier" or something similar.

I think the US News rankings are more "official" (whatever that means) than a "tier" system that doesn't even exist.

So aside from the flamage, I simply wanted to know if a list of schools based on GPA/MCAT exists, so I know what to apply to based on my own GPA/MCAT.

That is all. Now, lets all get along.

You're quite defensive, especially since nobody said anything derogatory towards you :)

You suffering from beaten dog syndrome or somethin?

no. i've just been around SDN long enough to know what people's general attitudes are (rankings don't matter, money is the most important thing-- just so happens i disagree with both of those sentiments, so i get flamed a lot).

But which? The research or the primary care rankings? The U. of Vermont is #6 on the primary care rankings, U of Colorado is #4, I don't think anybody is referring to these schools when they use the term "top 20".
Edit: Mayo is #25 on one and #37 on the other (tied with Hopkins).

Yeah, most people focus on the research rankings.

Which is why it is misleading. Most people want to be practicing physicians, not researchers.

Even if you want to be a practicing physician, residencies still rank the strengths of med schools and those rankings mirror the research rankings given by USNews.

Which is why it is misleading. Most people want to be practicing physicians, not researchers.

Look, I think most of us can agree that you shouldn't base your decision on which school to attend solely on US News rankings. To say that they don't mean anything, though? No, they mean this. It's not bad information, it's not good information, it's just information. Use it how you will; only you can decide if it's important to you.

Isn't that very specialty-specific?

Nope. There are some variations but its not extreme. Med schools with a good reputation among one specialty have a good reputation in another.

Last edited:
If all you care about is impressing people, here's the trick:

Choose med schools that have average ranking, but have undergrad schools that are impressive.

No one knows the med school ranking.

For example, go to Brown over BU, though their med schools have identical ranking.

Another good one, go to Dartmouth over WashU!!!!!

Choose med schools that have average ranking, but have undergrad schools that are impressive.

For example, go to Brown over BU, though their med schools have identical ranking.

as crazy as this sounds...i must say that this is kinda true. my roommates are MS4's here at Dmouth and they think people just associate the med school with the undergrad. :laugh:

i'm not endorsing this method, btw.

Yup, I bet the majority of the public doesn't realize that WashU is one of the more selective medical schools in the country.

Even if you want to be a practicing physician, residencies still rank the strengths of med schools and those rankings mirror the research rankings given by USNews.

Is there a list of how residencies rank the strengths of med schools? The methodology mentioned a 1-5 scale. Can we see what schools are at the top, for example? Is this something I would be able to see if I paid the USNEWS premium membership thingymagig?

Is there a list of how residencies rank the strengths of med schools? The methodology mentioned a 1-5 scale. Can we see what schools are at the top, for example? Is this something I would be able to see if I paid the USNEWS premium membership thingymagig?

There is a "program director" rank in the US News research ranking, but it's kind of stupid because it lumps specialties together and doesn't really weight program directors in terms of prevalence of residency slots. It just picks a random sampling of a handful of fields and has them rank schools, but probably is not reflective of other PDs and not how a particular specialty would vote, so pretty useless. (Not to mention that many of these PDs will no longer be PDs in 4 years when their personal opinions might matter to you.) I mean what do you care if your school is liked by pathologists and psychiatrists if you hope to go into ortho. It thus doesn't reflect how residency selection works (ie by specialty) and thus is absolutely useless.

The US News puts together two sets of rankings. The "research" ranking which is heavilly driven by NIH grant levels, and the primary care ranking, which is basically a consolation prize ranking, in that schools that don't do well on the research ranking sometimes can save face by saying, "but we did much better on the primary care ranking". The primary care ranking has a lot of DO schools ranked well, and a lot of the big name places ranked poorly, and is basically not used by anybody for anything because it doesn't really show that places do anything better in terms of training folks for primary care, just that a lot more people go into it at some places. The research ranking, because it is driven by funding, is sometimes deemed a substitute for prestige, I guess from the notion that the prestigious programs are the ones who are better funded (a lot of times this is true). Because there are no tiers to med schools, and no other ranking systems that med students can rely on, they look to the US news research ranking, largely because they are flailing around in the dark, desperate to be able to say they went to someplace impressive, but poorly situated to judge, so the US News gets a lot of play and a lot of people break up the rankings into their own, ad hoc tiers. Pre-allo folks will use the research rankings, we all did, simply because we lack actual, useful, data.

However the problem with these rankings is that because they focus on factors that don't affect most med students day to day life, they aren't really telling you anything helpful. They don't tell you which places are "better". They don't tell you which one is going to get you that derm residency. They don't tell you whether the school is going to train you well for the next level. They do tell you that the program has research funding, but even that could be a lot of funding to some PhD who works off campus who you will never come across in your 4 years. So it's kind of silly rankings. It's not a ranking of the "best" med schools although US News bills it as such. It's a ranking of criteria US News finds easy to measure and marginally related to prestige.

In terms of residency, there is no ranking of residency programs, and no real way to know which residencies in various fields like which med schools. In fact, you usually see residencies liking places not based on a perceived rank, but because residents they got from there in a prior year did well, or because they feel folks are decently trained, and thus won't require as much handholding. And it only matters by specialty, because each specialty runs very independently -- there is no consensus between ortho and rads and derm and psych etc as to which med schools are better than which, and they don't work together or have very common notions of what they deem useful in their program, so by grouping fields like this in any strange proportion like US news does doesn't give you much useful info -- it simply doesn't provide you the info that might be useful to making a decision. If they did it specialty by specialty that would be more useful, perhaps. But heck, you won't even know what field you are going to go into until you get through your rotations so it doesn't matter that much now.

So in short, there are research rankings which slightly reflect prestige, but no rank that reflects quality or suggests future success. And no tier system exists other than what one might make on their own based on the US News Research ranking. So folks often lop off the top 20 ranked schools and call it top tier, but there's no science behind it.

This is pretty true. If you said "I go to Brown's med school" most people would be pretty impressed and think you're hot stuff.

This is pretty true. If you said "I go to Brown's med school" most people would be pretty impressed and think you're hot stuff.

It's all about who the audience is. Someone in the medical profession would be impressed with a totally different list than someone in the lay public. So I guess it depends who is important for you to impress. Honestly, you will get a great education at any of the US allo med schools, and all will be pretty solid launching pads for whatever you want to go into. So sure, if it's important to you to have a certain logo on your T-shirt, then go for it. But you don't really need US News' ranking list for that -- just ask your family/friends for a list of what places they find impressive and apply accordingly. Might be advantageous because some of the places they are impressed with may not even be that highly ranked on the research list. :)

There is a "program director" rank in the US News research ranking, but it's kind of stupid because it lumps specialties together and doesn't really weight program directors in terms of prevalence of residency slots. It just picks a random sampling of a handful of fields and has them rank schools, but probably is not reflective of other PDs and not how a particular specialty would vote, so pretty useless....
QUOTE]

Thanks for that thorough response, Law2Doc.