Anyone have some spare time to read my PS? I'd appreciate it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any feedback would be great. I like it, actually. I get to talk about how I came to want medicine, my volunteer/shadowing experiences, college (had one low grade - not failing or anything), and finally my conclusion. It is pretty much error free but I do have to shorten it around 50 characters - not a prob, lol, that is like a sentence! :p

Thanks!!! :)

--------------------------------------------

With my parents separated and my mother working days as an ER nurse, my sister and I took our daily walk after school to the hospital to meet her near the end of her shift. We waited in the supply room, where we hung out with the other nurses and physicians on the floor while we ate ice cream from the patients’ refrigerator. Being so young, I was always curious as to what my mother was up to while we waited. Peeking around the corner of the room, I watched my mother work on a patient in trauma one. She handled herself with such control and professionalism I just could not stop watching, wondering what might happen next.

Ever since then, I knew I was wanted to work in medicine, but it wasn’t until afterward that I understood exactly why I wanted to become a physician. Years later, I found myself peeking around the same corner into trauma one once again, this time watching my grandmother. Dying of Multiple Myloma, I saw the same nurses and physicians that I had known back as a child, working on her. It was then that I understood the complexity of such a highly respected field: The dedication not only towards the education, but to the patients – the ability to be a compassionate intermediate between medicine, patients, and their families, and also to be able to touch the lives of people in their most critical hour.

With each volunteer and shadowing position I took, my passion to become a physician grew exponentially. My extensive volunteering among various hospitals and organizations allowed me to test my dedication to learning this profession. While being a counselor on the volunteer staff of an international Fanconi Anemia camp for two years, I helped take care of these children stricken with leukemia. The supervisor warned us of the difficulty of being able to treat these children as regular kids and also of saying goodbye to them, not knowing which of them would return the following year. Being quite nervous at first, I quickly fell in love with each child and their selflessness, the child I was in charge of in particular; however my child did in fact pass on after the first year. This struck me deep and had a profound impact on how I viewed the preciousness and fragility of life.

I spent years volunteering in the trauma and orthopedics floor as well as emergency rooms of various hospitals. Here, the physicians and nurses took me under their wing and let me observe the direst cases such as MVAs as well as procedures such as CPR and lumbar punctures. While these experiences we indeed exciting and eye-opening, I also came to appreciate the importance of a physician’s compassion, understanding and communication skills to ensure maximum trust and a strong fiduciary relationship between the physician and the patient.

I also had the opportunity to shadow physicians in a variety of specialties: surgery, internal medicine, OB/GYN, and emergency medicine. During this time, I was able to observe procedures such as an open abdominal surgery, infant circumcisions, and newborn testing. By being exposed to this environment, along with that of volunteering, I have been given some fantastic experiences to carry with me in my hopeful passage into medicine. When speaking with numerous physicians and their residents, I gained more confidence and assurance that I could successfully manage the lengthy and arduous road of becoming a respected and well-rounded physician.

My university has been an important part of this confidence as well. While the sciences have been a major part of my education, my curriculum has been comprised of a broad variety of courses. Organic chemistry, the dreaded class of undergraduates, ironically proved to be my most rewarding class. While challenging me intellectually, achieving a high mark in this course gave me a great sense of accomplishment. In the non-sciences, I truly took pleasure my medical ethics class. I feel that I benefited from this class through discussing some of the familiar and extraordinary issues surrounding the distribution and practice of health care. This course required me to look outside of my own perspective and evaluate my own principles. Learning foreign languages has been so enjoyable for me, I consider this a hobby. I have put years into learning Spanish and American Sign Language, to hopefully help take an additional step to alleviate the anxiety of communication to those of the Hispanic community who are not fluent in English as well as those hard-of-hearing. I am still hoping to master others such as Arabic and Japanese as well. I have had my fair share of struggles throughout my education. While the intensity of the material increased with every semester, I was and still am determined to master the material, earn my degree, and advance my knowledge and abilities into the medical arena.

By integrating my passion, past experiences, and intellectual ability, I hope to illuminate the complete package of an aspiring physician. I know I am ready for the rigor of a physician’s way of life. I have faith that I can invoke a greater trust between physicians and their patients. I also hope to be an advocate in this profession and inspire others to consider this noble vocation. Most of all, I hope to fulfill my own life-long aspiration and live each day of my life to help serve my community and beyond.

------------------------------------------

WHEW :laugh: .... well what do you think? YAY :thumbup: or NAY :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

"Ever since then, I knew I was wanted to work in medicine" fix that sentence.

peeking could be peering, you dont want to sound as if her passing away was an insignifficant or light hearted event, and peeking connotes this.

that I had known back as a child, working on her,

should be that I had known as a child, working on her

While being a counselor on the volunteer staff of an international Fanconi Anemia camp for two years, I helped take care of these children stricken with leukemia.

seems like a fragment, also perhaps expand upon that sentence or thought.

In my opinion its a solid ps but VERY lacking in terms of completion and expression of ideas. Its like you get us going on one topic and then bam start something entirely new, it doesnt have a central theme in my opinion, it is very scattered.

You need to expand your ideas and establish an unequivocably clear thesis of where you are going and follow that throughout.

Furthermore, the grammar and syntax needs a TREMENDOUS amount of work, i'd be cringing if i were an adcom reading this as the 100th ps in a night. You have excellent ideas and experiences, now just expand upon them. and there are ways of expanding without going over the limit

Im no expert, but I think its very good.
I`d just get rid of the sentence
"Ever since then, I knew I was wanted to work in medicine".

Members don't see this ad :)
A few things:

-I agree with Dr2010 with respect to the grammatical corrections--definitely do this before submitting.

-Overall, your style has a nice flow to it, so I wouldn't worry about style too much.

-Content-wise, I break this down into basically you describing what you have learned about what doctors do in a few different clinical experiences you have, and then you explaining why you rock in school and kicked ass in organic. While these are important things to incorporate into your overall application, I think there are some important things that need to come across in your personal statement that are missing. For example, in all your clinical experiences, you only talk about what you observed and what a doctor does--you never give an example of putting yourself in a position to demonstrate your own character and how it correlates with what physicians do.

-You don't really talk about how these experiences make you feel in much depth. I'm not suggesting that you have to tell a sob story, but did you feel challenged? frustrated? excited? upset? THESE are the things that the person reading your PS wants to know about you. They want to know about who you are and why your personality and characteristics would make you a good doctor.

-You could remove paragraphs 4,5, and 6 and not really lose much in terms of content for your essay. Any exceptional ideas you think you have in there can be incorporated into the one experience you really go indepth about, the Anemia Camp.

-You'd be well served to demonstrate your desire to be a doctor by describing more experiences and not just giving a listing of the things you've done. You indicate a penchant for foreign languages and sign languages. Talk about some of that stuff and how you enjoy helping people with that.

-Overall, this personal statement isn't poor, so don't get the idea that its terrible. Its not bad, but its not exceptionally notable either. It reads very similar to thousands of others out there, and I'm willing to bet that there are aspects to your personality and character and life experiences that are unique to you. THAT is what you have to express in this personal statement. It is a statement of your person.

:luck:

hey man, ms1 here, soon to be ms2 :)

first of all i think its a good ps, but I would change it.

Its just kind of typical/boring. You write well and you have the right basic idea, and I do NOT think you need a Theme. Themes are cheesey and usually fake, and besides the theme is YOU and your experiences.

Instead of listing all of the things you did at the various places, tell a story about each that impacted you. It is more interesting and sounds more genuine. I mean everyone knows what you do as a volunteer, and everyone in the adcoms know that you know basicaly nothing about medicine as a result of this experience so try not to sound like an expert.

And dont open up with "my parents are separated" or try to make it sound like you came from hard times when you most likely did not, but if you did elaborate on that. BUt if in all honesty you did not, just lose it no one cares if you are not poor/struggling.

i thought myloma was spelled myeloma...

Lots of tense shifts and grammar issues.

Choose a word besides "illuminate" at the end, it's use is incorrect or at the very least, awkward.

Content seems mostly good, but needs to be more balanced.

I thought it was written really well and I think it's very strong.

The one question I think I would ask is "Why not a nurse?". I mean if you're interested in helping people, why not nursing? Answer that question somehow in the essay (I might have missed it of course and if so, my apologies).

MoosePilot said:
I thought it was written really well and I think it's very strong.

The one question I think I would ask is "Why not a nurse?". I mean if you're interested in helping people, why not nursing? Answer that question somehow in the essay (I might have missed it of course and if so, my apologies).

You beat me to it. If I were an interviewer, my first question would be, "So . . . Why dont you want to be a nurse?"

Also, the use of the word fiduciary made me cringe. It's not used wrong, its just used very oddly. Normally the term refers to some sort of legal trusteeship someone has over someone, or their money, and so is assumed to act in good faith. It sound's like a thesaurus word when you use it here, aside from the fact that your effictively saying, "ensure maximimum trust and a strong trusting relationship."

Thanks everyone!!! Looks like I have my work cut out for me! Thanks for all the advice!!! :oops: