Anyone heard from University of South Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seminolefish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent in my application three months ago but never received any notification despite many several attempts at emailing and calling the place.... if anyone knows what is going on over there i would appreciate it. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I was wondering the exact same thing. I sent in my App back in September and still haven't received any feedback. I tried emailing and calling last week...still nothing.

I did...applied in Sept and just found out Friday that I am on the waitlist. I tried calling/emailing to see what spot I am but no response. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
ok turns out Ms. Amelia (sp?) resigned last week I believe. only way i found this out is by contacting one of the academic coordinators. she said some the letters were delayed because of it. she said to just be patient. im assuming all of them will come this week and everyone will know where they stand. i just wanted to know but i already got into UF and accepted the offer so...

the average gpa for the USF DPT class of 2013 was a 3.83. pretty beastly. it went up dramatically for USF due to the influx of applicants this year.
wondering how UF stacks up...last year i think it was around that according to their website. this year im sure it'll be close if not higher.

UF avg upper level gpa: 3.80
UF pre-req gpa: 3.65

Those are some pretty insane GPA's. Good thing I've already got a bird in hand, otherwise I'd be pretty nervous! Thanks for the info.

Hector are you going to Nova? glad you've got an acceptance. if you got into USF would you still go to Nova though or wherever you got into? cheaper tuition + reputation is what people are fighting over im sure. if i would've known about qualifying for in-state tuition after one year, i would've applied to UNC.

the cost of tuition with 2 years of in-state and one year of out-of-state is around 42K at UNC. im paying all 3 years in-state at UF and it will run me around 58K...

Well... UM is my first choice, Nova second. I also applied to FIU and as you know, USF. I visited FIU and Nova last weekend while in the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area for my UM interview. I really like Nova's Campus and the surrounding area, everything seemed rather new and well maintained. The Health Building and School amenities(gym..pools..Etc) were also a plus. Nova, although not as reputable as some of the other schools in Florida, does have a 90% exam pass rate. Which is only 8% lower than UM. So regardless of it's "newness" NSU can still compete with the best of them.

FIU on the other hand I wasn't very fond of, aesthetically it was mildly pleasing and the immediate surrounding area seemed to be in a rather low-income area.

Then USF, I'm on the fence about. I grew up in the Tampa/Clearwater, so the idea of going to USF is rather bland. Not to mention, the surrounding area's of USF are pretty seedy. I'm also not very excited with the space and location of the USF DPT building. It cramped in the back of the campus in a small one story building. However, the tution at USF is rather inexpensive and the school does have a pretty good reputation.

I didn't apply to UF for one simple reason, location. It's a great school with a fantastic reputation, but I really didn't want to spend 3 years in a college town. I'm 26 years old and the college atmosphere isn't desirable to me. Aside from the football and keg parties, there isn't much in Gainsville for me.

I kinda wish I would have applied to UCF, just as another option. But, its definitely to late now. ha

UM = Coral Gables and #7 DPT program in the Nation.

So all things considered, UM #1 and NSU #2. Hopefully ill hear positive news from UM in the next few weeks.

Anyway, keep my posted if you hear back from USF...Also, nice work on the UF acceptance!

Checked the mail today and no USF letter still...

I like smaller cities so Gainesville appealed to me more. I grew up in Tallahassee I guess you could call that a "college town" which is now a mid-sized city. I'm starting to not like Tally as much now as it has grown exponentially in the past 10 years or so.

I guess your definition of college town is that it is mostly about the college and there is really nothing else to do except things that have to do with the college. Well I like going to parks and doing outdoorsy stuff which there is a lot of around and in Gainesville. I'm not sure why people don't consider that aspect. Seems as though a college town gets stereotyped into "all there is is keg parties and football". Not necessarily true if you look at the parks and areas around in and around the city. I'm not into keg parties but I am into football AND basketball (coming from a college town even though I went to FSU their #1 rival). My #1 priority in attending UF is to get the best education. I feel like the smaller the city, the less to do (or do outdoorsy stuff which is better for you anyways), the more time to study and not get distracted. I'm only 23 so maybe that's why it appeals to me more. I could see how maybe there are more things to do in the city may be more appealing at night. At night there may only be parties to go to but I somehow (almost) always find something else to do even at night when you can't do outdoorsy stuff.

South Florida is okay to me but I absolutely hate how many people are down there and how expensive it is to be there. When you were talking about "seedy" areas, you get those in larger cities.

My friend went to USA and it looks awesome. I mean it really is an awesome school but I feel I would get distracted with the beach being right there. An aspect of South Florida I think would be distracting. So it depends on what distracts you. I don't get distracted by parties while others may not get distracted by the beach. I could rant about this all day but I'll stop writing a book lol.

still haven't gotten a letter from USF...:cool:

Your comparing S Fla to Cal? no way man i hate sfla bc it's so freakin hot and tons of people like i said before but to each his own. if i had a choice i would go to school in San Fran in a heart beat. i went there during the summer one year and it was in the 60's. i like it to be mildly cold but not super cold.

who says you can't grow up, be professional, and go to a "football and get drunk" school? it's extremely possible if you have any kind of self-control. i know you just don't prefer it bc you like the beach and that's what makes you HAPPY which is fine (i like the beach too and think it would distract me a lot) however, there are people who go to these colleges and take it seriously. i feel with ANY college PT program, you will be surrounded by people who are trying their hardest to be a good PT. so that's who i'll surround myself by. also i like the sports atmosphere and that's what makes me happy which is the goal in all of it.

ok im done ranting. have you made a final decision yet FLsurferDPT?

i know what you're saying about UF though...that's how it is here at FSU. i just plan to surround myself by people who want to be professionals which you can find in the health areas around Shands. i understand what you're saying about leaving the college life. i never really drink much and do things that "college" kids do like clubbing etc. but i still have fun. if you feel leaving all of that will really help you then all they power to you. i really liked the UF PT program from going to the open house.

i actually thought the weather in san diego was similar to san fran. very low humidity and in the 70-60 range. maybe that was my imagination. LA on the other hand is downright terrible.